Home

Intercepted at least once a game. Secrets to passing?

This is a discussion on Intercepted at least once a game. Secrets to passing? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Intercepted at least once a game. Secrets to passing?

I mentioned in another post that I've very defence oriented, but having an offense is nice. Though I really dislike Madden it's what my brother in law and all my friends have so it's what I usually played. I couldn't run in Madden but I could usually throw the ball down the field all day long. Here it's different, I can run but can't pass.
I tried following the what I picked up from the practice with the dropback and QB bounce thing rather than drop back and scramble to the side while I find a good open receiver down field and then throw like I do in Madden. I try throwing it to different receivers and often get picked off or incredibly close to it. Half the time I can't even see the receiver I'm throwing it to by the time my QB bounces. I even tried teams with good QB and receivers... same result.
I haven't lost yet but that's only because I haven't allowed an offensive TD yet. Any scoring the AI has done it from interceptions run back to field goals. Most of my scoring is from defensive TDs or or the occasional 40+ run from a medicore HB because he broke 3 tackles at the line.

By the way, I'm playing all-pro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2003, 10:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Intercepted at least once a game. Secrets to passing?

Are you throwing bombs every play? I would suggest start with a short passing game. Alot of dumps to your TE, HB or FB. Then gradually move to passing to your WR in the middle. Or set the coverage lower on the CPU skill
Old 12-29-2003, 02:42 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

I would suggest mixing it up, now and then fool the cpu by calling a fake receiver-route change, if he doesn't bite then resort to other available audibles. There's so many option. To answer your pass-play question, if you're feet is planted after the bounce your next reaction is to see the open field and depending on the situation, you can choose to bullet pass, straight pass or lob pass will be your saving grace, or simply, throw the ball away. Oh, and there is the right analog (PS2) to which you can lead or under throw to add to your arsenal of style passes.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:35 PM   #4
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

it takes time to learn how to read the defense. look for man on man, zone, whether they are playing you stragith up or taking the inside/outside routes away. learn how to use the hot routes. go to gameplan and have your team work on stuff during the week. dont call the same plays over and over. really mix up your choices.

most of all, hit the open guy and stay in the pocket. you need to learn your playbook to do so. that way you get your timing down and know where everyone is going and how long before you need to throw.

there is a lot to passing when you get it all down. it plays like real life. soon your check off your wrs and know who is going to be open and when as soon as the play starts and you see certain reactions from the secondary.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:09 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 4

um i can help with my little bit of knowledge...

a lot of things come into play.................
1.cpu in espn is not like madden..no sah- they adjust to your a$$!!!!!

2.reading the defense before hiking is very important...
3.pass when a wr has range of not being blocked by a defender or is closer to qb than defender..
4.alwayz calculate the speed match up--quickly i might add
5.don't stall--as soon as u get a glimpse of something good hit it-a second too late rethink another plan

all this i'm talking about is onfield action so u must be quick..

also
take your time n eyeball your play when picking.
if the situation doesn't look reasonable it most likely is don't pass to that wr
put your mind frame as i-am-the-wr or i-am-the-qb

this is what i use!!!!!!!!! i have trophies for no dropped passes by any wr,yes i play on all-pro.which to me is very challenging..games are usually very close for me...i won the superbowl by a lucky-last minute field goal..n win games by playing smart..n calculating my risk taking..

HOPE I HELPED
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2003, 06:15 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thanks for all the advice, it really helps. SF tore me a new one the other night, picked 3 times and 2 funbles in the red zone.
I did a little better last night, I finally made it through a game and didn't get picked off, though that may be just luck or my super Redskins offense (I dumped Ramsey in the second season and took a rookie draft pick who in his second year is rated 85 now, Ramsey is at 80, no new receivers, did draft a TE though) or the Carolina Defense.

As I play I do feel a bit more comfortable, I'm starting to scan the field quicker. I still have serious trouble staying in the pocket, I need Vick or someone who can scramble for my style, still used to Madden. I pick 2 receivers right away from the play and I sort of predetermine it's going to one of them, I rarely even look at others and it's usually a slant route.

Still, I'll get better with practice. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:48 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

I used to get picked off numerous times a game which really killed me, but now i am getting pretty good with the passing game. By the way, i have the CPU coverage slider at 30 and am only getting picked an aerage of about maybe 1 time a game.
heres a few tihngs that might help.

1. Look at how loose/tight the DBs are playing. If theyre playing tight you wont want to run a short route (ex. a quick out or in) and if your going deep you need to wait a few seconds for your reciever to get free. If theyre playing loose its a perfect time for a quick slant, in, out or even a hitch to pick up a few easy yards.
2. Try sending recievers or tight ends in motion. If someone from the other team follows them, they are playing some type of man coverage. Zones are very easily beat with deep routes to the sidelines, posts, or deep hooks.
3. Look for a possible blitz. If you see linebackers playing closer to the line than usual, theyre most likely blitzing. Or if you see 2 players form the other team covering 1 or your recievers, 1 of the 2 players are blitzing. Throw to where the blitzes are coming from. If a linebacker blitzes, its a good idea to throw a short route over the middle where the open area is because theres no longer a man in coverage there
4. Hot route for your RB's to block if you need time to throw
5. Look at how deep the corners are. If they are deep hit the short route, if theyre not then dont throw at them, especially on OUT routes which when picked off go for TDs at least half the time.
6. If youve gone anywhere from 8-10 seconds and cant find a place to throw, throw it away. Most times i find myself picked off because i try to force in a pass while scrambling after the pocket breaks down
7. RUN THE BALL. A good running game forces the defense to bring more men up close to the line, giving you a perfect chnce to throw a deep ball
8. Screens work well in this game if used at appropriate times
9. You need to learn which type of pass to use in every situation. bullet passes and lobs can save you at clutch times when you need to get the ball to your reciever
10. When in doubt: THROW IT AWAY. 2nd and 10 is alot better than a turnover.

I doint know how much this stuff may help, but it helped me alot.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

mike06 said:
I6. If youve gone anywhere from 8-10 seconds and cant find a place to throw, throw it away. Most times i find myself picked off because i try to force in a pass while scrambling after the pocket breaks down

8-10 SECONDS...what team do you play with?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »