Home

ESPN Football....Can we discuss some of it's WEAKNESSES?

This is a discussion on ESPN Football....Can we discuss some of it's WEAKNESSES? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2003, 11:46 AM   #9
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: ESPN Football....Can we discuss some of it\'s WEAKNESSES?

anyone mention the bad tackling by the sidelines?
Old 12-30-2003, 12:38 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

press the y button and the AI will always miss on sidelines

the tackling engine should be ragdoll physics (rainbow6,ut2k3,etc)
Old 12-30-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

what is ragdoll physics?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2003, 03:18 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 4

i did though i was the only one who feel the i'm tackled, animation comes on a second before the actual hit...

it looks akward still, i tried for 4 months but my eyes can't get used to it, doesn't hinder any gameplay but it does look silly....does anyone else understand what is being said here...i would like to hear what people think about this..

2k3 had contact like tackles,2k4's own make the recievers n rb's go down a second before even making any contact like they are scared,sometimes it feels like u shouldn't have been tackled that way hat second of animation u was actually pressing an action button.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:48 PM   #13
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

Kanobi said:
Quote:

Rickster101 said:
Hey Kanobi props on that insightful link "good lookin out" thanks.

Was it you who posted this..."NFL 2kx-The Official NFL2k5 Think Tank"...I thought I saw this as a link on your post.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:50 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 17

Yes, I would have to say, the tackling in ESPN is generally pretty good...especially the gang tackling BUT it still doesnt feel as impact-ful or as solid as in 2K3. And I think alot of it comes down to the slight scripted feel of the motion capturing tackles that actually have the ball carrier start to fall a split second before the actual impact of the hit. This also takes away slightly from the feeling of total control that will allow you to counter or fight off a tackle.

I think realistic hitting, and the feel of total fluid control and movement is the foundation of any strong football game. ESPN could improve a bit in this area.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:04 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

At fisrt the "seemingly" early collision detection bothered me too. I would replay it in slow motion and yep, there was even a small space between the players sometimes. After playing the game at different speed settings I have realized this...If the developers made the collision detection any closer it would look good at slow speed, but at normal or high speed it would "appear" as if the players actually overlapped each other a little bit. I do not think this was an oversight on VC's part. I believe that they KNEW this and since most people play the game at normal or fast speed they decided to give players the best looking animation AT HIGHER SPEEDS. Overall I think VC did a wonderful job with this game...It STILL looks better than anything else on the market...

Remember there are no PERFECT games.(At least not yet)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 17

I have been playing the SIDE view camera and at first it was very disorienting but once I got used to it ( after about 1 complete game ) I simply cannot go back to any other camera....its just too fun and realistic at this view. You really see the play develop in a broadcasted way and the smaller zoomed out players look and feel so much more realistic, especially when hitting the holes and trying to take it to the outside on sweeps.....so much fun. I am actually able to run better from the side view because I see the defense better from the different perspective and can react with better angles and cuts. Even running up the middle, which would seem very difficult atr first, is not a problem anymore. And pass coverage on defense is so much more fun and easier now....No more blown coverages that lead to instant CPU TDs. I have a whole new love for this game from the SIDE view. it kinda now reminds me of a suped up version of an old game I used to play with my older brother many years ago....Super Tecmo Bowl, which was so addicting and fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »