Home

DB's in the 4th Quarter

This is a discussion on DB's in the 4th Quarter within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
DB\'s in the 4th Quarter

I am having a good time with this game, and I have found a pretty good balance of stopping the CPU's offense and the CPU putting some points on the board. That is until the late in the fourth quarter when the CPU goes on these unstoppable drives (not always, but too frequently).

Regardless of what team I am playing with, the secondary becomes totally ineffective. I use Nickle and Dime packages and I try to mix up zone and man coverage to no avail. CPU slant routes work even when I adjust DBs to inside coverage and CPU recievers commonly make catches in double coverage.

I don't expect to stop the CPU all the time, but too many of these games are becoming "Maddenesque". I would appreciate any stategies that you guys use to stop those late CPU drives. I am OK for the first 3 quarters, but I fall apart in the home stretch. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2004, 02:08 AM   #2
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: DB\'s in the 4th Quarter

Quote:

Cardot said:
I don't expect to stop the CPU all the time, but too many of these games are becoming "Maddenesque". I would appreciate any stategies that you guys use to stop those late CPU drives. I am OK for the first 3 quarters, but I fall apart in the home stretch. Thanks.

Well theres no comeback logic in the game so better strategy should help. Personally I sometimes use a 4-3 or even a bear vs the cpu's passing formations. I bring a heavy dose of blitzes and play my Cbs in tight man2man bump coverage. ...usually results in Ints and/or incompletions. Doesn't work on every team though...especially with a qb who has high Pass Read Coverage attribute and a Very good go-to wr.

Thats when I mix things up with some man...zone and zone blitzes. I always try to have that Cover 2 shell though...need those safeties providing help over top. I usually make it a point to play the wrs physical at the LOS and usually works...even when the score is close. I basically smother the CPU and mix stuff up.

I don' mess with inside or outside technique anymore....I just let my cbs play straight up.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

One thing you can do if you got a good camera angle is play as the CB who is getting burned. Back off the WR to his Inside shoulder that way you can deny him going inside. Get on his Inside hip and just follow him, when the A.I QB sees this it generally holds the ball longer or runs out of the pocket. Most times you can tell who the A.I wants to throw it too. It is looking for the match up where it has the advantage OR it's just going to go to the star WR. If it has a TO or Moss on the team, that's where it is going every play. If not then it will look for the best matchup and throw there almost every time. Recognize this and manually cover him and force the A.I to throw to where you have the advantage matchup wise.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

They say there is know comeback logic in the game. But I still believe that aspect is in the game in some way. Or maybe it just gets to your mind and makes you think that's what going on.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

AllSkill911 said:
They say there is know comeback logic in the game. But I still believe that aspect is in the game in some way. Or maybe it just gets to your mind and makes you think that's what going on.

I've never had unbelievable comebacks me in the fourth quarter. Although the computer does start completeing more passes sometimes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

jmood88 said:
Quote:

AllSkill911 said:

I've never had unbelievable comebacks me in the fourth quarter. Although the computer does start completeing more passes sometimes.

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that there are crazy 28 point CPU comebacks. But there does seem to be something that clicks late in a close game and it gets much tougher to stop the CPU from completing passes.

Thanks Kanobi & LBRulz, I will try to do what you suggested.

I should also mention that I have been experiencing this a lot lately because I have played a bunch with default settings to fill out my crib. It does not happen as much with my regular settings in which the passing slider is toned down a bit.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

many people when they have a lead late take off the pressure and drop into zones or straight mans with no blitzing. this makes it easier for the QB to pass b/c there's no pressure. this is great against a human but overall the qb vision is a bit too good and they can recognize open men pretty quickly. even if you're worried about giving up big plays late, against the cpu you should still press wrs, mix up the zones, keep pressure coming to make them throw a little early or off balance, etc.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #8
Think Different

onetonmartin's Arena

OVR: 9

Also, don't shy away from calling a timeout when they are in no-huddle. This way you can rest your personel as well as change formations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »