Home

What happened to the play books

This is a discussion on What happened to the play books within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #9
Rookie

bronxct1's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: What happened to the play books

the play calling screen is so much better this year then years past. is it really needed to cover the whole screen with one play? plus it was horrible for multiplayer.

i think the play books are much better this year too. The giants play book for example is focused around shockey and short quick passing routes, which is pretty much what their offense was this year.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:

wwharton said:
hey vader, do you know what OTFPC is?

Yes I do. It is an acronym I invented. It stands for 'On The Field Play Calling'. In essence, it means the plays you are calling are displayed for you on the actual field of play, as opposed to a book format. Now I know that 2k4 gives you a 'fake field' box where your plays are displayed, but it is pretty much just a larger version of the book system. OTFPC allows you to see your play to scale on the field itself so you can really get a feel for how the play should be executed.

Quote:

wwharton said:
I think what you're talking about is the way the plays are displayed on the play calling screen.

Yes, that is another way of putting it.

Quote:

wwharton said:
I also liked the old way but it's not much to adjust to the new way.

It's a lot to adjust to when you have been using the same one for four years and you were comfortable and happy with it exactly the way it was. I can't tell you how many times I call the wrong play because I am in a hurry-up situation and I am viewing one play in the large preview pane, and accidentally push the wrong corresponding button. (Xbox: X,Y,B)

Quote:

wwharton said:
but OTFPC is basically setting your audibles on the "fly" which hasn't been taken out, just changed.

No. That is something different. That is 'On The Fly Audibles'. A totally different animal.

Quote:

wwharton said:
one benefit to the new set up is the ability to sub players in and out for different positions.

Yes. I like this one too. But there is no reason why it could not have stayed with OTFPC. You can have both.

Quote:

wwharton said:
i'd imagine that'd be much more difficult with the old display.

Actually, it would be easier. Example (Xbox):

Left Analog Stick: Move your cursor.

A Button: Select

B Button: Back up one page/selection.

Y Button: Flip Play

X Button: Sub In RBs/DLs (Depending on offense or defense. Push over and over to cycle through your desired substitution.)

White Button: Sub in TEs/LBs (Depending on offense or defense. Push over and over to cycle through your desired substitution.)

Black Button: Sub in WRs/DBs (Depending on offense or defense. Push over and over to cycle through your desired substitution.)

Left Trigger: Cycle through available playbook pages to the left.

Right Trigger: Cycle through available playbook pages to the right.

See? This saves you two more button presses during a play call. Because you would not have to choose from 3 buttons (X,Y,B) to call your play. You just have to press 'A' to select your highlighted item/play.

I recognize that this is probably a losing battle for me because most of the NFL2kers like the new 3-pane system. I am hoping that if I yell loud enough, Sega will hear me and give me BOTH for NFL2k5.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #11
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I played the same game you did since the series came out and it's not hard to adjust at all to the new play calling screen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:

Radja said:
my playbook was very similar to the previous year. if anything they added plays. the difference is the layout, but due to the size of the layout compared to last year, the layouts needed to be smaller.
remember last year the play laid out over the area the play would cover. now, it is in 3 small boxes. you will love this game. it is nothing like madden. all the problems from last year are fixed also.

I agree that the playbooks are almost the same as last years but they still have depth between playbooks like the 49ers west coast offense to the Patriots air-attack.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:48 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thanks all for the input. I think Vader has got it. If you like the new great, but the old worked for many - bring it back.

Glad to here they did'nt downsize the playbooks.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:05 PM   #14
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

jmood88 said:
I played the same game you did since the series came out and it's not hard to adjust at all to the new play calling screen.

Vader, gotcha. Just making sure you were talking about what you were talking about. On that note, I agree with Jmood. I've been playing the games as long as you and loved and was used to the old way but the new way is still fine. You just have to be open to getting used to it. Many people complain that Madden fans don't give the game a chance b/c they won't open their minds to something different. I think this is the same thing. I liked the old way and actually had no problem masking plays either with it, but the new way is just fine too, IMO.

Your example does make perfect sense though so the on the fly subs would work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »