Home

Running after catch game needs serious work.

This is a discussion on Running after catch game needs serious work. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
Running after catch game needs serious work.

Notice before hand that I DON'T want offensive domination and that this concerns both human and CPU players.
----------------------------------------------------
If you've played this game you know that the catches are very slow, defenders know where the ball will be instantly when the ball is released and that defenders have inhuman tackle abilities. The catch is so slow that you don't have time to make a move before you're tackled. This means that to get longer than 5 yard completions you and the CPU have to always get those yards in the air. If you want a 12 yard completion the ball has to travel 12 yards in the air.

Inhuman tackle abilities mean that physical laws don't matter at all. A defender is able to go to a tackle animation no matter what his speed or angle is. It doesn't matter how fast the ball carrier is going or what directional moves he makes either. Defenders are like missiles.

In reality, often the defender can't even attempt a tackle in the OPEN FIELD unless he's got some help. He has to let the ball carrier come to him and then attempt to drag him down. What the ball carrier does here is the key cause the defender simply waits his move and tryes to react. The defender cannot just run full speed towards the ball carrier and then perform a text book tackle unless he's off balance. This is the way to get beat bad. Swarming around the ball carrier right after the catch is the only way to be able to stop him right there. Remember that this only concerns catches that are made in space with time to move after the catch. Now if only the catches in space would be faster.

What comes to ball carrier moves, being able to make quick sharp cut back moves would be a great start if defenders had to react to these moves by some sort of momentum laws. The right thumb stick has potential here. We could see the stop-and-go running that football players use in the middle of defenders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Running after catch game needs serious work.

Quote:

Blue_Monkey said:
Notice before hand that I DON'T want offensive domination and that this concerns both human and CPU players.
----------------------------------------------------
If you've played this game you know that the catches are very slow, defenders know where the ball will be instantly when the ball is released and that defenders have inhuman tackle abilities. The catch is so slow that you don't have time to make a move before you're tackled. This means that to get longer than 5 yard completions you and the CPU have to always get those yards in the air. If you want a 12 yard completion the ball has to travel 12 yards in the air.

Inhuman tackle abilities mean that physical laws don't matter at all. A defender is able to go to a tackle animation no matter what his speed or angle is. It doesn't matter how fast the ball carrier is going or what directional moves he makes either. Defenders are like missiles.

In reality, often the defender can't even attempt a tackle in the OPEN FIELD unless he's got some help. He has to let the ball carrier come to him and then attempt to drag him down. What the ball carrier does here is the key cause the defender simply waits his move and tryes to react. The defender cannot just run full speed towards the ball carrier and then perform a text book tackle unless he's off balance. This is the way to get beat bad. Swarming around the ball carrier right after the catch is the only way to be able to stop him right there. Remember that this only concerns catches that are made in space with time to move after the catch. Now if only the catches in space would be faster.

What comes to ball carrier moves, being able to make quick sharp cut back moves would be a great start if defenders had to react to these moves by some sort of momentum laws. The right thumb stick has potential here. We could see the stop-and-go running that football players use in the middle of defenders.

When you say defenders have inhuman tackling abilities the same is being said about the guys on offense they also defy the laws of physics and what you say while is true in some cases it isn't true in all cases. All you have to do is have the defense running cover 3 zone and have the WR running a Corner route. Pass it to him, then hit the Y button (shoulder charge on Xbox) and the defender won't even TRY to tackle him and can be right in front of him or right beside him. Trust me some people are EXPERTS on the stick and that's not to say you are a slouch, but if they get what you are asking then we are REALLY in trouble. Plus as a Wide Receiver you can stiff arm a LB into the damn ground.

You are right in reality often a defender cannot attempt to tackling in the open field, but there are other times in the OPEN FIELD that he CAN and DOES.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:36 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:

LBzrule said:
When you say defenders have inhuman tackling abilities the same is being said about the guys on offense they also defy the laws of physics and what you say while is true in some cases it isn't true in all cases. All you have to do is have the defense running cover 3 zone and have the WR running a Corner route. Pass it to him, then hit the Y button (shoulder charge on Xbox) and the defender won't even TRY to tackle him and can be right in front of him or right beside him. Trust me some people are EXPERTS on the stick and that's not to say you are a slouch, but if they get what you are asking then we are REALLY in trouble. Plus as a Wide Receiver you can stiff arm a LB into the damn ground.

You are right in reality often a defender cannot attempt to tackling in the open field, but there are other times in the OPEN FIELD that he CAN and DOES.

Yeah, the physics aren't too realistic on the offensive side either. In reality, it all depends on the situation. Maybe something like the ball carrier is looking elsewhere and the defender can come to tackle. This can't be programmed in a game yet. There are other examples where the tackler has the advantage even in the open field. It's very tough to program. But generally, the speed of the players, their angles, their skills and physical strength determine what happens in these situations along with your player skills. Some of this would be very nice in the game. But some work on the YAC game needs to be done.

Of course, over doing it would he horrible. In Madden you can sometimes take too much advantage of its momentum physics. It has to be fine tuned. And while the ball carrier usually has the edge in the open field, the most important thing for the defense is to get as much guys around the ball as possible. All NFL teams are at least pretty good at this so you shouln't get to an open field one-on-one situation very often.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I was going to say what LBz said but even more. If you read many different defenses correctly you can get good opportunity to run after the catch. I'd agree that the CPU doesn't take advantage of this enough but if you have a fairly accurate QB and throw at the right time, most plays allow for some pattern that allows room to run after the catch. It's just not easy to do if you're trying to control everything.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:53 PM   #5
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

I have no problem getting yards after the catch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

wwharton said:
I was going to say what LBz said but even more. If you read many different defenses correctly you can get good opportunity to run after the catch. I'd agree that the CPU doesn't take advantage of this enough but if you have a fairly accurate QB and throw at the right time, most plays allow for some pattern that allows room to run after the catch. It's just not easy to do if you're trying to control everything.

The only route that I may can agree with him on is the hitch. The defenders are there really fast. But on other routes, I dunno man, I just can't. One night in an online game I had 489 passing yds and 6 TD's with the Seahawks. That's what's stopping me from agreeing with him because alot of that was run after the catch as I was using the West Coast playbook that night.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #7
Champs!

Kearnzo's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

LBzrule said:
Quote:

wwharton said:

The only route that I may can agree with him on is the hitch. The defenders are there really fast. But on other routes, I dunno man, I just can't. One night in an online game I had 489 passing yds and 6 TD's with the Seahawks. That's what's stopping me from agreeing with him because alot of that was run after the catch as I was using the West Coast playbook that night.

Gotta agree with you here. I use the Pats, and all I really do is short, quick routes, and I seem to get plenty of yards after the catch. Using Max Passing definitely helps lead them to. And like you said, the only one I agree with is the hitch, as it does progress to slowly. That, and the WR screens DON'T work at all. But that's fine with me, as that's the only route that seems to give me problems with YAC.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:

LBzrule said:

That's online. I play off-line only.

Dunno then if you guys are just so good players that you can get the ball in there in just the right time but when I'm playing I can't see how that's possible. I throw a pass to wide open player who's running, say, a drag route and it's right on the money. After this there's immediately a defender in there. This happens every time when I throw to a guy who would have space to make some moves after the catch.

I sure as hell don't want YAC always even if there was good space. But right now I don't even get control of the player before he's tackled.

If you're not seeing this, what do you do diffently?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »