Home

NFL2k5: Anybody Want 'Switch To Blocker' Option This Year?

This is a discussion on NFL2k5: Anybody Want 'Switch To Blocker' Option This Year? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
EA Sports PGA Tour Release Date and Details Unveiled
What Are Your Thoughts on Madden's Franchise Mode as We Head Towards Madden 24?
When Do You Get 'Rosteritis' in Your Franchise Mode?
View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2004, 07:19 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: NFL2k5: Anybody Want \'Switch To Blocker\' Option This Year?

Awesome post goober. You really understand how useful this feature would be. Now I just hope Sega gives this post a read, and most of all some consideration for this idea, when developing NFL2k5 this August.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:23 AM   #18
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Thanks goober. You are 100% correct about the sweeps. I tend to avoid them all together because of the poor AI blocking for the route. Having 'Switch To Blocker' would solve this problem too, making the game more useful and fun.

Most of my friends choose the defensive end most of the time. The poor computer usually doesn't stand a chance with the human controlled DE. With a switch-to-blocker option then I could pitch the ball and go mano-a-mano with my buddies straight up! Let's see 'em try to stop my running then! Plus, add some new pancake animations and it could get REAL fun playing the O-line. Just imagine some fool coming around the corner and your pulling guard just CREAMS HIM! Or your Fullback takes his legs out from under him, buying time for the now computer controlled QB to let it fly to your streaking WR! I LOVE IT!

Yeah that'd be cool but hopefully the blocking AI is improved to the point where the Guard and FB make those blocks (especially if they're good overall pass blockers) without me having to switch to em thus allowing me to still control the Qb and make the pass on my own.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and think theres something there...especially for First Person Football...but from a single player standpoint I wouldn't want something like this to be a crutch or supplement for poor blocking AI in the overall game. I just hope the AI is improved to the point I would rarely need to use this feature at all.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 9

Kanobi,

I am not suggesting that this feature SUPPLEMENT poor AI for blocking. I agree with you in that the AI blocking on your team should be better than it is now. That is not to say that they should be perfect at all times. They should at least ENGAGE a defensive player that is in the clear to tackle your player. Having them stand around and LET the defensive player even approach your offensive player is not real and unacceptable. I really think a player's rating should play more of a role in blocking. If you have a Guard that has a run blocking rating of 89, he should be able to fend off most defensive players for a god 2 or 3 seconds. If a clearly superior defensive player is engaged by your AI player, the offensive AI player should still engage the defensive player in an attempt to at least slow him down. But once engaged, the defensive player should be able to club, swim or spin right past him. I am just looking for that extra half second you would get from a body on a body like the real NFL.

This feature is intended to add another strategy and fun use to the game. I had so much fun back in the day, blocking for my brother downfield on the way to the endzone. This feature would bring some of that fun back to NFL2k5.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:34 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

Both of you guys combine to present a rounded-out viewpoint. Sometimes games will add a "new feature" in order to make up for poor programming. That should never be the case. AI should continue to improve year after year. But again, as was stated, this could provide a new "dynamic" to the game... even in single player mode. It may even sound a little gimmicky to some, and I agree, I think that it would really shine against blitz-happy human opponents, and in First Person Football.

It would even be cool to be called for clipping or even leg whipping for a man that you actually controlled.

You could even have the announcers saying that I think that so-and-so got away with a clip on that last play but it wasn't called.

They need a few more bad calls in the game too. More false starts, add bad snaps, fumbled snaps, etc. Make it slider adjustable so that if it happens too much then you can tone it down.

Of course I just want to be able to do everything. It's not always possible though.

I remember being in high school, (before PS1) and coming up with a game called to be called "REAL FOOTBALL." I was going to design a system for it, because nothing existed at the time that could handle it... Now, most of the stuff I wanted in the game actually is in videogames! Shows how far we've come. But I digress.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #21
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Kanobi,

I am not suggesting that this feature SUPPLEMENT poor AI for blocking.

Did I say you were? No. I said I liked the idea and see where it would work. I just said I hope they upgrade the Blocking AI to the point where hopefully I wouldn't have to use that feature much ...if at all. Thus the feature would be a true OPTION and not something you'd NEED to use due to poor blocking AI. I didn't mean that that idea shouldn't be added. theres nothing wrong with something that adds to gameplay.

Thats why I put that remark in bold with the hope it wouldn't be misinterpreted by those who read it...especially you because I'd figured you'd probably take it as an attack on your idea but it wasn't. I'd actually love to control an OLinemen in FPF.... a Left Tackle ...to test my skills against the league's best speed rushers.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »