Home

Help out a possible Madden convert...

This is a discussion on Help out a possible Madden convert... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
EA Sports PGA Tour Release Date and Details Unveiled
What Are Your Thoughts on Madden's Franchise Mode as We Head Towards Madden 24?
When Do You Get 'Rosteritis' in Your Franchise Mode?

Old 03-23-2004, 12:37 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Help out a possible Madden convert...

I am loving this game, and very close to picking it up. I am getting rather frustrated over several things however, and was wondering whether they could be improved someway.

First off, I can't seem to break many tackles when running with the ball. I am using the Jaguars, and Fred Taylor is a big man. But I get planted on my *** way too often, especially when compared to the computer. I use the shoulder charge more often than the juke button, and always make sure to follow my blocking. I don't use "The Charge" often, is that what is missing? I just seems like whenever I have what should be a solid 5 yard gain, I am only picking up about 2 yards. It gets very frustrating. ALSO, I cannot for the life of me pick up a 3rd and 1 down. Even when I come out in a Twin TE set with a lead blocker I can't even get that damned yard. Maybe once out of 10+ tries.

The second major gripe I have is the computer passing game. All they do is throw slants and short passes towards the middle of the field. Where is Air McNair testing my cornerback down the sideline? Is it possible to maybe go into the other team's gameplan before the game and modify so that they play more realistic style? Would it make a difference?

Thanks in advance,
Possible Former Madden Convict
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 AM   #2
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Help out a possible Madden convert...

charge up before you shoulder charge. Some one may have sliders for this passing problem
Old 03-23-2004, 09:10 AM   #3
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Don't hit the speed button until the open field. Just charge up and be patient. ESPN's running game is different than Madden. It takes time to learn it a bit but it is more about reading the defense and being patient. The juke doesn't work that well anyway. Shoulder charge can be good but try using the stiff arm if the players are coming from the side.

As for the CPU, they don't throw deep very often at all. It can be frustrating but it is a problem and I don't think sliders will really help there. The passing game in general is one of the strengths imo over Madden. The ability to get the ball in the seam when you see a hole in the zone is good. Zone defenses though don't react very well when an opponent floods a side of the field with multiple receivers.
Have fun.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 8

I know that Fred Taylor is good with the Spin move. So right before your going to be tackled, hit the spin move. You'll most likely spin off the defender if you make contact with him.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

Quote:

Aaenuel said:
I am loving this game, and very close to picking it up. I am getting rather frustrated over several things however, and was wondering whether they could be improved someway.

First off, I can't seem to break many tackles when running with the ball. I am using the Jaguars, and Fred Taylor is a big man. But I get planted on my *** way too often, especially when compared to the computer. I use the shoulder charge more often than the juke button, and always make sure to follow my blocking. I don't use "The Charge" often, is that what is missing? I just seems like whenever I have what should be a solid 5 yard gain, I am only picking up about 2 yards. It gets very frustrating. ALSO, I cannot for the life of me pick up a 3rd and 1 down. Even when I come out in a Twin TE set with a lead blocker I can't even get that damned yard. Maybe once out of 10+ tries.

The second major gripe I have is the computer passing game. All they do is throw slants and short passes towards the middle of the field. Where is Air McNair testing my cornerback down the sideline? Is it possible to maybe go into the other team's gameplan before the game and modify so that they play more realistic style? Would it make a difference?

Thanks in advance,
Possible Former Madden Convict

Madden Convict, huh? Well I hope you get out on good behavior.

Yeah, unfortunately, the CPU not throwing deep balls has been a bane of the series. Even when they need to go deep on the last play of the game, they won't. If you think this will continue to bother you, then stay with Madden. I didn't play Madden this year, so I don't know how the CPU throws deep on it, but yeah, don't expect any really deep balls in ESPN.

As for the running, what difficulty level are you playing on? All-Pro seems to be what most people around here play.

Definitely charge up. As was stated, don't frantically tap the speed burst as soon as you get the handoff-- just move with the analog stick and charge up. Stiff arm is brutal when you're charged, so is shoulder charge.

Also, it may not be "realistic" game calling, but often on third and short I run QUAD formation to spread the defense and then run a quick HB SLAM up the gut for a few yds. DON'T DANCE, get the ball and hit the hole immediately in this game! Basically use the moves in the open field, not at the line of scrimmage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17

as you get better, try moving the sliders for cpu passing, recieveing and blocking up. when i did that, they had the time to pass long. not a lot, but at a better rate and it makes it harder.

i think i moved it up almost to the legend setting or just the bar below it. i will post you my settings this week. i have been playing MLB 2005, so i cant remember my settings.

however, move all the human/cpu defensive sliders to the legend. move the first pursuit, i think, a few notches above. the second coverage(?) leave alone. and tackling move a few notches down.

in fact, it made rushing the cpu QB so much more realistic and fun. the cpu qb will mix up three step drops and roll outs and then bust out a deep drop and hit the deep WR. you may need to drop the cpu running down. start at the middle and see if he rocks you. howeve, you will need a strong d-line to get to the CPU after these adjustments.

hope this helps and works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »