Home

Do any of you get the Madden urge??

This is a discussion on Do any of you get the Madden urge?? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1
Re: Do any of you get the Madden urge??

Quote:

marq said:
I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason I ever put Madden in is to draft my NCAA class and sim in owner mode. But as for actually playing a game...hell no ! imo, ESPN is much better game play wise, and even simming in Madden gets pretty boring to me. But hey, we all have to satisfy our urges eventually. You may just need a change of pace, but I'm sure you'll run back to ESPN quickly.

btw, when both were relatively new I played ESPN with a friend of mine who played cb in NFL for about 7 years. He was mainly a MAdden player so I was beating him. I suggested that we change over to Madden because it might help him compete better. BUt before we even got to half time he said: "this is garbage, take this out!" because compared to the look of ESPN, Madden looked really bad. He then said, "I do't even want to look at this after playing the other game."

The only reason I play football games is for the on-field gameplay. The only time simming comes into play is for the other 31 teams that I'm not controlling during a season. So I definitely want accurate stats and rely on the CPU to give 'em to me. I'm not into the front office stuff... Yet.

Nothing has excited me enough to spend the time doing all that drafting and stuff.

I don't know if I'd call it an urge, but I've definitely not put it out of my mind. If they change some things, I'd buy it this fall instead of ESPN, because I only buy one game. I just hate the MONEY PLAYS, CARTOON CHARACTERS, REPEAT ANIMATIONS, and DULL PRESENTATION.

I bounce from game to game, I didn't like 2k3, and bought Madden 2003. Last year I bought ESPN.

This year...
Old 03-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #10
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I've never wanted to play madden and I don't want to now.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:09 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

jmood88 said:

What did you play before the 2K series came out? Gameday? That was pretty good for a year or two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #12
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Quote:

jmood88 said:

What did you play before the 2K series came out? Gameday? That was pretty good for a year or two.

I'm 15 and I was around 10 when the 2k seried came out and that's when I seriously started playing football games. I had primetime and nfl98 for the genesis though. I played gameday a couple times but I didn't own it.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:57 PM   #13
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:

DanSF49 said:
So fetter you know what im feeling then, so is it worth it to get madden again, or am I just going to go back to my beloved ESPN after a few games??

Like Jets said, I got it for the deep franchise. I was thinking of getting Front Office Football for that, but after downloading the demo and seeing a 21-21 tie in the first game there that my team was playing I decided I'd just get Madden again since it'd be cheaper. So I'll probably sim most of my seasons, but I'm sure I'll get one or two actual gameplay seasons in with my Fitzgerald having Raiders after the draft.

Hard to draw me in to play it a ton since it's not online.

To actually answer your question, if you're needing a franchise itch scratched I'd get Madden. If you never really care about your franchise stuff and just want the onfield play, do yourself a favor and save the money.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:40 PM   #14
Rookie

Dan can i get a copy of your rosters.If they're for xbox that is lol.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:06 AM   #15
Rookie

Omerta's Arena

OVR: 5

YES!!
I usually switch off between ESPN and Madden.

The only aspect about Madden I like better then ESPN is the fact you can play NCAA and import the real life college players into Madden (via 'Draft-Classes') ... and IMO, Madden's create-a-player is better then ESPN's.

First, I love college football and the NCAA Football series...and after playing ESPN NFL, I know Sega could make a college game just as good or better then EA's version.

And if ESPN were to release a college game this coming season, I'd be all over ESPN.
My major gripe with Sega is they don't have a college game.

This is from a Madden fan since Madden's inception.
This year was the first time I bought Sega Football ... and IMO it is a superior game.

All Sega has to do is make a college game (with ability to name players and have a feature to import college players to the Pro - game via 'Draft Classes') and I am sold.

And as far as the CAP feature is concerned in ESPN ... the only thing I hate is you can't choose from a ton of faces & skin types for a player (like you can in Madden).

Concerning the Owner Mode in Madden ... don't really care about the 'Mode' or if ESPN comes out with one in next years game ... unless Madden or ESPN (if they put in a version of the mode in this coming years game) make the mode more difficult.
WHY do I say this??
Because it is to easy IMO (and NO, I didn't use the cheats that one can in Madden's Owner Mode so you can be successful).

Will always love Madden ... but ESPN is a much better game.

GAME ON...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #16
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

If I'm somebody from VC reading this thread....it would be abundantly clear to me that there needs to be some serious deepening of the franchise Mode in ESPN and polishing of off-the-field options (CAP, CAT, Stat tracking/Sorting,etc). Hopefully thats what we'll see in 2k5 along with improved gameplay.

One thing they could add that would be huge...the ability to save draft classes as seperate roster files and then import them into your Franchise.

Advantages:

1. You won't need to edit the draft class everytime you start a franchise OR every YEAR in your franchise.

2. People could create draft class files and share them online....same as rosters

3. You get the main feature of conviently bringing in real rookie prospects without needing a College football game.

4. You have ultimate control over which players come out of school and which ones remain....an advanatge over the NCAA/Madden draft classes.

Disadvantages:

1. You know how the players will likley be rated. However, if VC uses a College-To-Pro translator then that 94 ovr qb you created would be a 79 ovr rookie once imported. That'd be no different than the NCAA/Madden system because you know who the better players are coming out of NCAA. But theres still a lil bit of mystery of how they'll be rated in Pro Game. Plus ESPN uses alot of "Mentality" type attributes like Composure, Leadership, Consistency, Aggressiveness...good stuff to consider in rookies.

The Pros outweigh the cons.

IMO, this feature would be huge for ESPNFL ..especially considering there likely won't be an ESPN College Football game this year. But Hell, All you have to do is go back and read comments throughout this thread to see why this feature would a huge addition.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »