Home

It's not the broken tackles

This is a discussion on It's not the broken tackles within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
It\'s not the broken tackles

It's the momentum that needs to be fixed. Every play you'll see a RB break tackles if you watch football they'll at least shake off 2 tackles per play. The problem with this game that causes 90 runs is the momentum. The RB can turn on a dime and change directions leaving u shook EASY in this game. In Madden if u change direction the RB will slow down and that gives the defender a chance to break down (strafe) and make the tackle. When your hit the momentum should come in affect again i mean how many RBs get hit and maintain the same speed without a lil slowdown. the fact the running animation/8 ways to run made it harder to make tackles and easy to make big runs. I thought the broken tackles were realistic just all the other stuff wasn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: It\'s not the broken tackles

Quote:

Dagreat1 said:
It's the momentum that needs to be fixed. Every play you'll see a RB break tackles if you watch football they'll at least shake off 2 tackles per play. The problem with this game that causes 90 runs is the momentum. The RB can turn on a dime and change directions leaving u shook EASY in this game. In Madden if u change direction the RB will slow down and that gives the defender a chance to break down (strafe) and make the tackle. When your hit the momentum should come in affect again i mean how many RBs get hit and maintain the same speed without a lil slowdown. the fact the running animation/8 ways to run made it harder to make tackles and easy to make big runs. I thought the broken tackles were realistic just all the other stuff wasn't.

No it's tackling too. I've seen and been the spearhead myself of plays blown up in the backfield as soon as the RB gets the ball and he gets his a$$ destroyed. But in here he'll just slip lose and he's just getting the hand off. Yeah momentum COULD be a problem, namely defenders don't have enough behind their tackling. But yes you are correct the ease of making defenders miss is another issue it will all get corrected.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:

LBzrule said:
Quote:

Dagreat1 said:

No it's tackling too. I've seen and been the spearhead myself of plays blown up in the backfield as soon as the RB gets the ball and he gets his a$$ destroyed. But in here he'll just slip lose and he's just getting the hand off. Yeah momentum COULD be a problem, namely defenders don't have enough behind their tackling. But yes you are correct the ease of making defenders miss is another issue it will all get corrected.

i'm not sure if the momentum will be fixed because people complained about it last year and they did NOTHING about it.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I don't think momentum is the big problem. I personally think there is way too much in Madden, particularly after watching what guys like Dante Hall do. The turn on one foot can go but the overall momentum sets this game apart from Madden which is good.

The tackling can use some work I agree but its not as bad as some people make it out to be once you learn it (at least single player offline). I know LB is a pro and I feel the same way he does. Not to put words in your mouth, but I agree with you that better pursuit angles by defenders would help a lot.

Personally, I think they could add acceleration to the running back ratings but I don't want to see the general feeling of momentum changed in this game.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
Banned

I have NEVER seen Dante Hall turn on a dime. He does have great agility and can changes directions fast but not like they do in ESPN Football. Do me a favor go outside and run at full speed in one direction then try to turn in another direction..u WILL slow down during the turn i dont care who u are. I'm gonna record Maddens and ESPNs then compare it to a real running back then upload it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Banned

Check out when Clinton Portis goes to change directions. He doesn't slow down a grip but he doesn't maintain his accelertaion then he gains it back as he keeps on running. That's exactly how it is in Madden

Clinton Portis run
Old 04-05-2004, 09:32 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

Quote:

LBzrule said:
Quote:

Dagreat1 said:

I don't know if it will be implemented, or if it's the solution, but I submitted my idea about how to fix this using the juke animation to the "Ideas" contest.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Dagreat1 said:
Check out when Clinton Portis goes to change directions. He doesn't slow down a grip but he doesn't maintain his accelertaion then he gains it back as he keeps on running. That's exactly how it is in Madden

Clinton Portis run

uh, no. that's not how it is in ESPN but that's not how it is in Madden either. Madden can be compared to playing a game in heavy rain. it makes any special moves unnecessary. might as well just get rid of the buttons... but this isn't a madden forum (some forget).

it was obvious you were a madden fan when you said they did "nothing" for momentum. in fact they did a lot. they could add a bit more but where they are now is just fine with me. they need transition animations and better pursuit angles along with some more realistic tackles (corners and safeties rarely try to tackle high). player momentum is hardly a part of the problem. hell there are still some madden fans that can't run that well in this game b/c of the whacky way you fake people out in that game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »