Home

My Huge Concern

This is a discussion on My Huge Concern within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:45 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: My Huge Concern

Quote:

wwharton said:
thank god for this thread? ugh.

this whole thread is one big fire waiting to happen. to say either nba or mlb went backwards is a matter of opinion. nba changed in ways many didn't like but if they add to what they were trying to accomplish everyone will be riding that train again. i have no idea what the mlb comment was about. then we get the espn won't catch madden in sales or gameplay comment. lbz made a sensible post to give the thread some direction but come on.

if that is your huge concern then don't worry. i'll just leave it at that. everything else being said is going to make this an ugly thread.

Gotta love when people catch feelings over a video game LOL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2004, 12:25 AM   #26
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

Herd90XB said:
I hope that ESPN Football doesn't take a turn for the worse.

It won't.

nuff said.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:

Klue516 said: I agree and disagree with you at the same time ....NFL2k2 on the dreamcast was by far the most realistic football game in terms of its CPU AI because every CPU controlled team played different from one another and almost perfectly copied the playing styles of that specific team...further more, playing as/defending Donovan McNabb from Kurt Warner, Edge James from Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison from Eric Moulds gave a totally different feel.

Rookie QB's like Cade McNown would crumble apart when up against a pass rush by stepping back and tossing the rock usually far off from its mark while Brett Favre would step up and deliver the throw with pin point accuracy.

You know something Klue, you are right. Maybe because it has been so long since the Dreamcast days, a lot of us have forgotten the FEEL of football on the Dreamcast with the NFL2k series. After thinking about it, ESPN NFL Football doesn't have that sense of individual team playing styles. I have noticed that all teams I play, play the same way. I really wish that when you get the team match-up screen before the start of the game, that it actually had merit. If their Special Teams is rated 4 stars, I should EXPECT them to run back a KOR for a TD. If their passing is only 1 star, I should be preparing to stop the run. This is presently not the case. I have had a one star defense against my 3 star passing pick me off 3 times in a game!

I do remember playing teams like the Steelers in NFL2k1, and preparing for my defense to contain Stewart in the pocket. If I could not do this, I would most likely lose the game. The running QBs could actually run and were a threat every time they got out of the pocket. Unlike ESPN, where if a QB, ANY QB gets outside the pocket and has about a five yard cushion, they all of a sudden turn into Vick and can run like a jackrabbit! I would like to see Sega take back control of the series and say, 'Look ESPN. We will use your menu and stadium graphics, overlays and Chris Berman's commentary. But leave the game-play to us because we KNOW how to make a realistic and fun football game.'

Quote:

Klue516 said: NFL2k2 on the dreamcast gave me hope that one day CPU AI would competely change their gameplay styles based off of their lineup.....

Me too. Damn. Can you just imagine where the NFL2k series would be if it would have continued on the Dreamcast? Man, NFL2k4 would have been AWESOME.

Quote:

Klue516 said: Running with a QB in NFL2k2 on the dreamcast was much better portrayed back then than it is now and i find that funny especially because Mike Vick is now in the league.

I agree again. I remember signing Stewart as a free agent, year after year on the `Cast because he was so effective in running the ball in crisis situations. I have not even attempted to sign Vick in NFL2k4, even when he was relatively inexpensive to attain, because he can't run like he would have in the Dreamcast days.

Quote:

Klue516 said: ESPN2k5 has alot of work to do IMO.

After listening to your points in this post, I am starting to agree with you. Maybe we should look at ESPN NFL Football 2k4 as the original NFL2k. A great start with everything in place to make a stellar game next year for NFL2k5. You remember the giant leap that NFL2k made to NFL2k1?
Old 04-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:

bucs44 said:
Exactly-we want players and teams to play differently that you have to adjust strategy. NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA.

Hopefully ESPN can get the AI of 2k2 on DC.

Agreed bucs. I want that too. I really want the feeling that I need to adjust my playing and play calling strategy to my specific opponent. You know what else I want?

BLOOD-THIRSTY, TURF-DESTROYING, TOOTH AND CLAW, BITTER AS A CORONA CIGAR IN A POT OF 5 DAY-OLD COFFEE, INNER-DIVISION RIVALRIES!!

How cool would it be for Cowboy fans to get pumped for their first regular season game with the Redskins, because they KNOW that the Redskins crowds are going to be louder! (and I actually mean louder where the developers design the game so when you are playing your rivals, the crowds are audibly much louder than other games)

How about the Raiders and Broncos? Where you are guaranteed to see 2 or 3 personal fouls throughout the game for late hits and roughing the passer.

New rivalries where the Titans and Colts are in a heated game for AFC South supremacy. During this game, you get introduced to louder tackling sounds and more severe injuries.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 4

the original 2k was amazing....2k1 was greatness.....the original 2k had that shake wrap tackle move..anyone rememeber that--where if a tackler wraped around you..u can get some draged feet but if u furiously tapped left n right..u'd could shake free.

2k1's running game was excellent.even thought warrick dunn could have juked till his brains exploded......but i really don't get the feeling i used to get playing 2k1 from espn...nothing wrong with espn...but 2k1's gameplay had me never wanting to put the controler down...even when i was frustrated i knew what i was doing wrong..the game seemed perfectly problem free..and complaint free....EVERYTIHING FELL INTO PLACE AS ONE OF THE BEST FOOTBALL GAMES I EVER PLAYED....

remember on dive tackles the tackler would clip the rb's foot n the rb would stumble n try to regain balance..why was that removed...

i would like to feel as though 2k4 is 2k0..so history can repeat it's self....one thing we need is atmoshpere/randomized events/on field interactions--like coach n player..crowd..n sidelines..end games..other

in 2k1 i made a touchdown with a fat guy n he tried to do a backflip n landed on his head..i replayed that so much n laughed....plus the dan n peter don't make a big deal of touchdowns/4th conversions/field goals.....neither does the crowd....
Old 04-23-2004, 12:24 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Quote:

bucs44 said:
Exactly-we want players and teams to play differently that you have to adjust strategy. NFL, NHL, MLB and NBA.

Hopefully ESPN can get the AI of 2k2 on DC.

Agreed bucs. I want that too. I really want the feeling that I need to adjust my playing and play calling strategy to my specific opponent. You know what else I want?

BLOOD-THIRSTY, TURF-DESTROYING, TOOTH AND CLAW, BITTER AS A CORONA CIGAR IN A POT OF 5 DAY-OLD COFFEE, INNER-DIVISION RIVALRIES!!

How cool would it be for Cowboy fans to get pumped for their first regular season game with the Redskins, because they KNOW that the Redskins crowds are going to be louder! (and I actually mean louder where the developers design the game so when you are playing your rivals, the crowds are audibly much louder than other games)

How about the Raiders and Broncos? Where you are guaranteed to see 2 or 3 personal fouls throughout the game for late hits and roughing the passer.

New rivalries where the Titans and Colts are in a heated game for AFC South supremacy. During this game, you get introduced to louder tackling sounds and more severe injuries.

Yesssss... I hear ya barkin' big dog. Don't hold your breath on the "more severe injuries" though.

I mentioned in another thread how instead of always hearing grunts, I wanna hear a "CRACK!" every once in a while when I lay the wood on someone. The sound of the PADS POPPIN' IS A MUST for hit (non-wrap-up) tackles.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:

gooberstabone said: Yesssss... I hear ya barkin' big dog. Don't hold your breath on the "more severe injuries" though.

Hey goober!

Is this because you personally don't like to see severe injuries in a video game, or is this because you don't think the NFL would ALLOW more severe injuries represented in a video game? Like the Napolean from the Raiders' hyper-extended knee or Joe Theisman's career ending compound fracture.

Quote:

gooberstabone said: I mentioned in another thread how instead of always hearing grunts, I wanna hear a "CRACK!"

I agree! I would also like to hear the air burst out of a player's lungs as the defender drives him into the turf! YAH!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1

Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Quote:

gooberstabone said: Yesssss... I hear ya barkin' big dog. Don't hold your breath on the "more severe injuries" though.

Hey goober!

Is this because you personally don't like to see severe injuries in a video game, or is this because you don't think the NFL would ALLOW more severe injuries represented in a video game? Like the Napolean from the Raiders' hyper-extended knee or Joe Theisman's career ending compound fracture.

Quote:

gooberstabone said: I mentioned in another thread how instead of always hearing grunts, I wanna hear a "CRACK!"

I agree! I would also like to hear the air burst out of a player's lungs as the defender drives him into the turf! YAH!!

Whaddaya tryin' to do, make me PUKE?! Just kidding.

I said that because I know that the NFL won't let videogames show all that stuff.

That being said, I don't need to see anything as horrific as Joe Theismann's leg snapping (ewww, I remember watching that when it happened) or Napoleon McCallum's knee bending the wrong way in my videogames.

With that further being said, I do miss the potato chip crunching sound effect of Madden '94 or so, when Pat Summerall would say "Oh no... There's a man down!"

They should bring back the cart if it's a bad injury though. But I don't think there's any reason to actually show someone's leg breaking or anything.

"Air bursting out of a player's lungs?"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »