Home

Is The PS2 Version Of ESPN 2K5 Going To Use The 2K4 Engine?

This is a discussion on Is The PS2 Version Of ESPN 2K5 Going To Use The 2K4 Engine? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Is The PS2 Version Of ESPN 2K5 Going To Use The 2K4 Engine?

I wonder if SEGA rewrote the graphics engine for the ps2 also .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Is The PS2 Version Of ESPN 2K5 Going To Use The 2K4 Engine?

That's a good question Raw. I would speculate that they won't. Reason being, the development for the Xbox is going to consume most of the developers' time. And justly so, since there is a TON of untapped power on Xbox they can explore to make this the best looking NFL game ever. I think once they have the final code for the Xbox version, they will then just tone down the graphics, eliminate some commentary, ditch some animations and delete some cut-scenes so the little PS2 can handle it. Good time to own an Xbox my friend. That is if NFL video gaming is your primary passion.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

"they will then just tone down the graphics, eliminate some commentary, ditch some animations and delete some cut-scenes so the little PS2 can handle it."

No they'll just make them usable only if the player has the PS2 HDD. Which according to the IGN article is what they did.

Graphically the PS2 version won't have the super pretty graphics or quick frame rate, but it shouldn't make an huge difference overall.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Game developers are finally seeing that its VERY unfair to port games from PS2 to XBOX...
what they are doing now is developing for the most powerfull videogame and than watering those games down to make em work on PS2... this way both machines will have a game that uses all of its power and features.. its the best way for all videogame consumers.

im glad that i own a XBOX... we all knew from day 1 this os the best machine of the market, but only now we are starting to see true evidence in IQ and Frame Rates of Games... i think even the sony fanboys know by now (altough they will not openly admit it) that from now on this difference will get more evident everyday.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
Pro

Erratic's Arena

OVR: 6

lol, graphics dont mean anything to me. If i cared about how my sports games looked (or any other game for that matter) io would only buy PC games. I think alot of people forget that systems like attari, nes, and god might i say virtual boy (hehe, well lets keep virtual boy out of this actualy, i think my eyes still hurt from playing mario tennis) were around and produced some of the most fun games around.

Any game that comes out on any of the current system is going to be fine graphic wise imo. Heck Golden Eye for n64 is still the 4th most played game in my house.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

Erratic said:
lol, graphics dont mean anything to me. If i cared about how my sports games looked (or any other game for that matter) io would only buy PC games. I think alot of people forget that systems like attari, nes, and god might i say virtual boy (hehe) were around and produced some of the most fun games around.

Any game that comes out on any of the current system is going to be fine graphic wise imo. Heck Golden Eye for n64 is still the 4th most played game in my house.

i totally agree with you that gameplay come first... but than after gameplay u get graphics and sound as the most important features for a game.. computer comparison is not valid because the gamestyle of computer is totally different... no way u will be playing sports/fighting/arcade games in a pc the way they are meant to... and the same goes for vg... there is no way u can play counterstrike on a videogame, the way u can do it on pc... so there is no point in comparing vgs and computers... and also not everyone has money to aford a top notch pc.. u cant compare a $300 machine with a $3,000 one. I think this narrows the discussion to videogame x videogame.

bottom line is gameplay comes first yes, but in this case (NFL 2K5), the more powerfull system and better graphics/sound system will also IMPROVE the gaming experience overall... IMHO.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:44 PM   #7
Pro

Erratic's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

MercilessMagal said:
Quote:

Erratic said:
lol, graphics dont mean anything to me. If i cared about how my sports games looked (or any other game for that matter) io would only buy PC games. I think alot of people forget that systems like attari, nes, and god might i say virtual boy (hehe) were around and produced some of the most fun games around.

i totally agree with you that gameplay come first... but than after gameplay u get graphics and sound as the most important features for a game.. computer comparison is not valid because the gamestyle of computer is totally different... no way u will be playing sports/fighting/arcade games in a pc the way they are meant to... and the same goes for vg... there is no way u can play counterstrike on a videogame, the way u can do it on pc... so there is no point in comparing vgs and computers... and also not everyone has money to aford a top notch pc.. u cant compare a $300 machine with a $3,000 one. I think this narrows the discussion to videogame x videogame.

bottom line is gameplay comes first yes, but in this case (NFL 2K5), the more powerfull system and better graphics/sound system will also IMPROVE the gaming experience overall... IMHO.

I would agree with you, however i recently baught a ps2 controller for my PC. Now i am essentialy playing sports games on my PC the way they were ment to be played, excpet but it has better graphics than any system out there. As far as control, There is no longer a difference between the Ps2 and my PC due to the pickup of a controller thus my comparison is valid. I buy every game i can for my PC, no matter what genre, however i baught a Ps2 becasue i enjoy alot of the games that only come out for it, ESPN Football being 1 of many. I will not buy an xbox becasue most of the games i want to play on xbox i can play on my PC.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 PM   #8
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Erratic- very well said

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »