Home

A New Spin on an Old Discussion

This is a discussion on A New Spin on an Old Discussion within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2004, 03:16 AM   #9
PGH for GTA VI

spacefunk's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: A New Spin on an Old Discussion

Quote:

Moegames said:
Quote:

spacefunk said:
The only problem I can come up with for both games is atmosphere.

Atmosphere? ESPN was and is the only game 'with' atmosphere and im just damn glad ESPN took the right step in adding Atmosphere in a football videogame. MADDEN has none

ESPN does have SOME, but it's not nearly on par with NCAA.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:24 AM   #10
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

spacefunk said:
Quote:

Moegames said:
Quote:

spacefunk said:
The only problem I can come up with for both games is atmosphere.

Atmosphere? ESPN was and is the only game 'with' atmosphere and im just damn glad ESPN took the right step in adding Atmosphere in a football videogame. MADDEN has none

ESPN does have SOME, but it's not nearly on par with NCAA.

Yea,NCAA's atmosphere is crazy,and it should be even better with the addition of home field advantage,July is such a long way to go.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:52 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

parrothead said:
I'm an idiot and I'm sorry guess I showed my arse there. I guess it's kinda obvious I didn't play a whole lot of ESPN this yaer. Did it also have that propblem where if a guy was an animation you could run intop him, but absolutely nothing would happen? Or were the DB's in ESPN half retarted like in Madden?

There were just alot of problems defensively in both. Tackling in both was horribly represented IMO, whether that be because ball carriers were too strong or on the other extreme ball carriers were too weak. To be honest the tackling in both had all to do with the movement in both games. Madden's tackling was bad because the movement felt like you were on ice. ESPN tackling was bad because the zig zaging and overpowering offensive moves. Madden's short zone defense was WAYYYY too good, ESPN's was too bad. Madden's DB's ALWAYS intercepted it if it hit their hands, ESPN's almost NEVER intercepted it when the ball is right there in their hands. DBs in madden go into catch animations to take themselves out of the play, DB's in ESPN fall on the ground as if they are catching a ball shot out of a rocket laucher and take themselves out of the play. Corner routes were money in both. Pursuit was horrible in both. Madden always had you overpursuing, ESPN, what pursuit?? except for the guy you are controlling. All I know is this year if defense in both is still substandard, I think I'm going to hang it up. In Madden the 46 defense was kinda SOFT. In ESPN the Bear defense might as well went into hibernation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2004, 10:54 AM   #12
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

The one thing that gets me about Sega/VC games are the fact that there is some little bug that saps the enjoyment out of it. Nothing thats a gamekiller, but just enough to keep me playing Madden/EA.

ESPN College Hoops had the wierd stats bug, the state of North Carolina never had more than 4 recruits (total), the game also froze up occasionally.

WS 2k3 had a wierd roster management bug.

I noticed a few in ESPN NHL lsat year also.

I hope the new ESPN football has zero bugs. I always buy both anyway, and end up trading in the one i play least when the NHL games come out.

I also wish someone could find a way to import college players into ESPN footballs draft, like you can with NCAA/Madden. Maybe the Mel Kiper feature will allow for some attachment to the players pre-draft.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:10 AM   #13
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

Greenevol said:
Maybe the Mel Kiper feature will allow for some attachment to the players pre-draft.

From what the preview states at IGN...that seems to be one of the main reasons Kiper's reporting on draft prospects starting in week 8.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #14
Plays well in Tennessee

Klue516's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

LBzrule said:
Quote:

parrothead said:
I'm an idiot and I'm sorry guess I showed my arse there. I guess it's kinda obvious I didn't play a whole lot of ESPN this yaer. Did it also have that propblem where if a guy was an animation you could run intop him, but absolutely nothing would happen? Or were the DB's in ESPN half retarted like in Madden?

There were just alot of problems defensively in both. Tackling in both was horribly represented IMO, whether that be because ball carriers were too strong or on the other extreme ball carriers were too weak. To be honest the tackling in both had all to do with the movement in both games. Madden's tackling was bad because the movement felt like you were on ice. ESPN tackling was bad because the zig zaging and overpowering offensive moves. Madden's short zone defense was WAYYYY too good, ESPN's was too bad. Madden's DB's ALWAYS intercepted it if it hit their hands, ESPN's almost NEVER intercepted it when the ball is right there in their hands. DBs in madden go into catch animations to take themselves out of the play, DB's in ESPN fall on the ground as if they are catching a ball shot out of a rocket laucher and take themselves out of the play. Corner routes were money in both. Pursuit was horrible in both. Madden always had you overpursuing, ESPN, what pursuit?? except for the guy you are controlling. All I know is this year if defense in both is still substandard, I think I'm going to hang it up. In Madden the 46 defense was kinda SOFT. In ESPN the Bear defense might as well went into hibernation.

I can't wait to hear your review as well as your thoughts on both Madden and ESPN this year....thats if you make one.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:55 AM   #15
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

LBzrule said:
Quote:

parrothead said:

That being said, yet and still everytime I see you online Lb'z, your playing 2K4

Are you guys going to have the e3 info up this year on the website?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:

WaddupCouzin said:
Quote:

LBzrule said:
Quote:

parrothead said:

That being said, yet and still everytime I see you online Lb'z, your playing 2K4

Are you guys going to have the e3 info up this year on the website?

Yeah it'll be up. I play because I'm in a league. I will honor my obligation. But tis sad isn't it. There are some things in the game that make you HATE IT! But there is something in it that COERCES you to come back for more. Plus I'm always in practice mode and when I find something that I think can work, gotta go test it. It's one thing for something to work against the A.I and another for it to work vs another human. I've found some things that work against both though. But it's one playbook at a time However on the other hand, you also discover all that it WRONG with the game, especially playing some lobby players. But this IS a good thing. I generally don't like to play random lobby people, but I think it is a good thing. Sure they piss you off, but you discover some things that need to be fixed for the next year's game that you MIGHT not have discovered had you not treaded the waters

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »