Home

OverRated / UnderRated

This is a discussion on OverRated / UnderRated within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
OverRated / UnderRated

I popped in ESPN2K4 today, after months of inactivity. I only put it in to to see what I liked about it, in lieu of E3 this week. So I said to myself, self what do you think is Overrated and underrated about this game.

Under Rated, Audible system Wasn't touted by VC and hardly gets its praise from us gamers. Its ingenious, in essence 8 plays available to you at all times and changes per formation.

Over Rated: The playbooks although deeper than anyother game on the market, in most cases plays are very similar, just like the NFL its a copy cat league so I guess I should expect playbooks to be very similar.

On a side note, this should be taken out all together, the Cheerleaders, no need for, doesn't add anything to the game whatsoever.

Underated: The crib, its pretty damn good, just sound to much like pop culture, probably would have been better serve by call it something but I'm so use to crib, Just keep it the same.

OverRated: Player faces, good but not as good as touted by VC and some fanboys.

UnderRated: Player models, yeah they get reamed by fanboys and unbias players as well, but when you look at them, there pretty damn good.

UnderRated: the Challenge system is awesome, just some suspense is needed.
OverRated and UnderRated: the runnig game slash tackling, yes its bad, and damit its good too.

Underated: the passing game, yes the trajectory is a little off, but the myth, yes I said myth of the lofty lob, has never been an issue in the games I've played on and off line. The key is its pressure sensitive, and the max passing is great for those who have a problem with it.

UnderRated: for years now the defense in this game is unparralled, no match on the market. Match ups 2 years running pre snap reads, 3 tier playcall system.

Things ESPN Videogames should work on, to follow last years theme of polish.

The Punting game or the lack there of really needs to be adress. For those who play extensively, know what I'm talking about.

Better Subbing, its atrocious nuff said.

depth equally horrible.

Kicking game especially kick offs are to scripted, what do I mean, if you're running up the middle you turn left, the whole defense shifts with you and its funny looking, even when you are not in their field of view.

Field goal accuracy for the cpu tone it down, there not that that good. Takes away from the end of the game suspense.

There is more, so what do you think is over rated and under rated in last years game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: OverRated / UnderRated

I agree about the faces although some faces look just like the players. Deuce, aaron brooks, and joe horn all looked better in 2k3; but dale carter, and donte' stallworth look just like themselves in 2k4(except for donte's ugly *** dreds). If you look at marcus trufant and quentin jammer they look just like the players but some of the players regressed from 2k3.

I also agree about the punting. The gunners get to the ball way too quick and I rarely have any time to get my blocks set up for a long return. The field goals definetely needs to be fixed. The kickers are basically automatic whenever they kick a field goal. Kick returns need to be fixed. And I hated the subbing. The computer running backs never get taken out and they never seem to get tired. That's more of a stamina problem but they go hand in hand. And about the cheerleaders, they add to the atmosphere and help it look a lot more realistic than if they didn't have them. i just hope (and they probably are going to change it) that the cheerleaders aren't the only thing they show when a quarter ends. It's annoying watching them do the same thing at the end of the quarter everytime.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 18

underrated--ESPN NFL 2K SERIES
Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Hey back!

How fun! I love point by point stuff like this. Here are my responses:

Quote:

backbreaker said: Under Rated, Audible system Wasn't touted by VC and hardly gets its praise from us gamers. Its ingenious, in essence 8 plays available to you at all times and changes per formation.

Agreed. I would just rather be able to pre-select 8 plays when setting up my initial Franchise. So I KNOW what I always have access to. Sometimes I call for an audible, and it happens to not be available due to the formation.

Quote:

backbreaker said: Over Rated: The playbooks.

Agreed.

Quote:

backbreaker said: On a side note, this should be taken out all together, the Cheerleaders, no need for, doesn't add anything to the game whatsoever.

Disagree. I love them. Especially the way they bounce. The real NFL has cutscenes of hot cheerleaders all the time. ESPN prides itself on having broadcast atmosphere so if it is in a telecast, it should be in the game. Besides (with the exception of the end of a quarter) you can skip over it at the push of a button.

Quote:

backbreaker said: Underated: The crib.

Disagree. I played with it for the first month or two, then realized that I will NEVER be able to unlock some of the remaining items in there. I hoped that more attention would have been paid to the trophy room. Like having an AFC Championship Trophy or being able to earn a Super Bowl Trophy regardless of the quarter length you play. (You can only get one for playing a 5-minute quarter Super Bowl on Pro Level.)

Quote:

backbreaker said: OverRated: Player faces, good but not as good as touted by VC and some fanboys.

Neutral. Some faces look great, (Jerry Rice) some are awful. (Dick Vermeil.)

Quote:

backbreaker said: UnderRated: Player models.

Neutral. Some good. Some bad.

Quote:

backbreaker said: UnderRated: the Challenge system is awesome, just some suspense is needed.

Agreed. Most of the time it works. It does need more suspense though. I hate that Peter tells you whether it is correct or not before the Ref announces it. It wouldn't be so bad except that Peter is right EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Quote:

backbreaker said: Needs work: The Punting game or the lack there of really needs to be adress. For those who play extensively, know what I'm talking about.

Agreed. The AI needs to be more strategic in their punting game. I have no problem with the coffin corner that I can do. It just takes practice. I want some blocked punts added too, as well as field goals. Not extra points but field goals. Also throw in some occasional bobbled snaps and comical flubs. Like that Giants/Niners Playoff Game a couple of years ago.

Quote:

backbreaker said: Kicking game especially kick offs are to scripted, what do I mean, if you're running up the middle you turn left, the whole defense shifts with you and its funny looking, even when you are not in their field of view.

Not to mention the fact that it is super easy to return KOs for TDs. I get at least one every single game. Start off slow toward the right, get two initial blocks and then speed burst to the left sideline all the way to the goal line. The pursuit angles on the AI are a big negative factor to this. I actually have had defenders get shoulder to shoulder with me, just to have them tackle a spot of air right next to me!

Good stuff back!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »