Home

Wasn't last year's version killed by broken tackles?

This is a discussion on Wasn't last year's version killed by broken tackles? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Wasn\'t last year\'s version killed by broken tackles?

Was it killed by broken tackles? NO!! Were they annoying? YES at times. Is run defense impossible? NO! The defensive line code needed rewriting though and it got that for this year. They will play alot better against the run and I'm happy with that. Tackling has been improved and I'm REALLY happy with that.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 11

It killed it for me. It looks like it has been taken care of for 2005 though.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 10

There wasn't an issue with broken tackles in 2K4. If you dived at runners they had a greater chance at breaking your tackle but if you run into them charged or uncharged you increased you chances of bringing them down 98% of the time.

Just like VC had to do with "The Charge" they have to give their tackling system a name so people will use it the right way. Thus you have "Maximum Tackling" for a tackling system thats already in place.

You didn't need to touch the sliders or anything. Run into them instead of diving and you'll take the runner down unless they're a whack DB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

The ease of abusing the running game may have killed it for many. It wasn't necessarily broken tackles but no loss of fatigue with the better backs after breaking a tackle, defenders not swarming the area as already mentioned, dlinemen not being able to get off to hit backs at all and the biggest, bad pursuit angles by defenders making small holes that should get 7 or 8 yards turn into touchdowns.

As mentioned, you could use sliders to help but considering pursuit angles were the main problem there isn't any set of sliders that could really eliminate it. you could come up with some that artificially control it but are so extreme they effect other areas. the only real solution is to force yourself to not abuse this which is why multiplayer (online) could be so frustrating.

With that said, I've yet to play an online game that can't be killed by playing random people and I don't think that will change next year. You really have to find people that want to play straight up or don't bother. That goes for ESPNFL, Madden, NCAA, ESPNBA, Live, ID, ESPNMLB, MVP, etc.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:12 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:

With that said, I've yet to play an online game that can't be killed by playing random people and I don't think that will change next year. You really have to find people that want to play straight up or don't bother. That goes for ESPNFL, Madden, NCAA, ESPNBA, Live, ID, ESPNMLB, MVP, etc.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:18 PM   #14
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

wwharton said:
The ease of abusing the running game may have killed it for many. It wasn't necessarily broken tackles but no loss of fatigue with the better backs after breaking a tackle, defenders not swarming the area as already mentioned, dlinemen not being able to get off to hit backs at all and the biggest, bad pursuit angles by defenders making small holes that should get 7 or 8 yards turn into touchdowns.

As mentioned, you could use sliders to help but considering pursuit angles were the main problem there isn't any set of sliders that could really eliminate it. you could come up with some that artificially control it but are so extreme they effect other areas. the only real solution is to force yourself to not abuse this which is why multiplayer (online) could be so frustrating.

Well put.
On the bright side, the fatigue model appeared to be vastly different this year. It's much less forgiving, and I think that'll alleviate some of the problems from last year.
However, it's impossible to eliminate "cheesers" entirely - so your best bet is simply to find a group of straight-up players (like most of the folks here), and stick with them.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:18 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Nah, it wasn't that big of a deal. Sure, there were definitely times where I would scream WTF because Marshall Faulk broke 8 tackles but it wasn't a common occurence.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2004, 01:37 AM   #16
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:

LBzrule said:
The defensive line code needed rewriting though and it got that for this year. They will play alot better against the run

Thank god. Maybe this yr when I draft a 6'4 345lb dtackle (with high strength, con, and run cov) to anchor my dline against the run he won't get blown off the LOS by single-man blocking and will actuall draw and occasionally beat a double team to stuff the run. Looking forward to that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »