Home

Two ?s: What's the best way to stop outside run? How to intercept?

This is a discussion on Two ?s: What's the best way to stop outside run? How to intercept? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Two ?s: What\'s the best way to stop outside run? How to intercept?

It seems like it is too easy to hit the outside and run? Is this the case or are the D-Formations to stop On-Line Players from hittig the outside? I've tried the 4-3 and it is useless against outside runs.

On the other hand, how do you properly position yourself in front of the reciever that the ball is being thrown to? No matter what I do, it seems hard to intercept. Do press the Y-Button or the R-Button when the ball is in the air or in the players reach?

I have to learn these tatics. I suck at this game on-line and I love playing on-line. I just get frustrate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Two ?s: What\'s the best way to stop outside run? How to intercept?

Play cover 2 and be handy with the B button (for XBox) or O button (for PS2) to switch defenders to bring the runner down.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:52 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 8

Run defense isn't about the formation, it's about the play. If someone is running outside on you, call zones that put as many defenders as possible on the side of the field he prefers running to, then manually take over the corner and be prepared to come in and either make the play or at least stack up the blocker and force the runner back inside where you have defensive help.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Hey rutger!!

As far as stopping the run outside, there is a bit of a flaw in 2k4. Computer controlled players tend to take bad pursuit angles, resulting in the runner usually escaping by tight-rope walking the sidelines, As far as intercepting a pass, you have three options: (Xbox)

1) Use the Left Trigger to *SWAT* the ball away from the intended receiver. This is supposed to be if you feel like you have a bad angle or distance on the receiver and he might catch it and get away.

2) Use the 'Y' button to either intercept OR swat, depending on your positioning. This is a good option if you are dealing with a QB with a cannon that ZIPS the ball to his receiver. Lastly…

3) Use the Right Trigger to attempt an interception. This method should be used for a pass that is lobbed to the intended receiver and you have time to get under it, get positioned, charged up, and you KNOW that you have a legitimate shot at snagging this ball.

To sum up, 'Y' is the safest option and the Right Trigger is the biggest gamble with the most reward if it works.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Hey rutger!!

As far as stopping the run outside, there is a bit of a flaw in 2k4. Computer controlled players tend to take bad pursuit angles, resulting in the runner usually escaping by tight-rope walking the sidelines

This is true! I generally, though, play with the FS and can assist in containing the outside running game. I'm essentially playing the clean-up man on outside running plays. Sure, they may still bust a big one but they don't have like 3 carries for 150 yds anymore.

Also, you have to pay attention to how you call your plays. Previously I wouldn't call plays that had the defense working together. What I mean is if you call a line assignment for your linemen to pinch then why would you send the LB blitz inside? This bunches guys up inside and opens the door for a HUGE TD run to the outside. So, if I decide I want my linemen to pinch then I will call a play that sends any additional rush from the outside. If I wanna rush inside with a LB then I will call for my linemen to just fire straight off which will open holes for the LBs to get through but it also opens holes for the RB. I tend to only fire straight off when I want to pressure the QB on passing plays. I try to keep those gaps clogged up.

I hope this helps your defense in general!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

yes, outside running is a problem in 2k4... b/c of the pursuit angles.

as mentioned the best way to attack them is zones. if they NEVER run inside, fan your D line or even contain, play mostly zones and control the MLB or S and hope you're there to help finish him off. if you're making the first hit then be ready to switch quick and finish him off.

as for INTs what you're probably doing is still moving when the ball is in the air. you won't catch any bullets like this and will rarely catch a lob like this since you're probably running away from the LOS. the best thing to do is turn around and face the line, stop and then hit the button. this is a gamble but that's the whole point.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
Rookie

i think there is not much to add.. those guys already answered perfectly. Pay attention to what wharton said about be facing the ball for interception (if you watch the replays of the Interceptions made by the pc you will see that almost 100% of the time they are facing the ball and not running awyay from it).. and if you are only interested in interception than force it with R+Y.. like others said.. its risky.. i usually only press Y, and accept the PC knock it off and not only try to intercept.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Rookie

formation still is important, as you would have more LBs with 4-3 than you do with Dime, for example.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »