Home

Has there ever been a video game that had........

This is a discussion on Has there ever been a video game that had........ within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2004, 05:33 PM   #17
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Has there ever been a video game that had........

it needs tobe ratings related. false starts happen based on lineman's ratings. weak kicks bc of kicker's ratings. i'd like to know if i have a bunch of these in my franchise that i can draft a guy that's solid to fix the problem. i think that's the only way i'd personally accept it.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:45 PM   #18
PGH for GTA VI

spacefunk's Arena

OVR: 13

Here's a solution everyone can agree on. Just have a snap meter before the kick meter.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I'm just saying. Even this year when people lose a game, they get mad if it is because of a glitch or something that they had no part of or was not their fault. Hell I lost 1 overtime game last month and was pissed. Why? I had shut this guy's running game down the entire game. He got back in the game off 2 INT's returned for TD's, 1 of which was my fault, the other was because as I timed to switch to my receiver to catch the pass he already fell before I could switch and time the catch. Now why does he turn and do that falling animation? I had nothing to do with that, yet it causes a turnover. But anyway. 14-14 in overtime. I lose the toss. First down on his own 32 yd line, stuffed for a loss. 2nd down McMichael 6 yd pass. 3rd and 5 he lines up in Jokers. The same run I had stuffed twice already this game. Goes off tackle. The OLB slides off, while he is sliding off I come in fully charged, slip off, I switch to Safety and hit him, last resort CB just falls off like he got shot in the back. Yes I cursed on this one because I lost not to him, but because of BS, something kinda out of my control. There is no way that fool should have broken all those tackles.

You yell for realism now, but when you get it you will cry especially if you often find yourself on that end that you do not desire. And you will lose not because of something you have done. Not because you made a bad call or not because you had poor gameplanning, not because you didn't convert your 3rd downs, and not because you couldn't stop your opponent and not because of anything that is under your control. You will lose because the A.I RANDOMLY decides when it is a bad snap. The difference between this and say a false start, holding is that you still have an opportunity to make up for those penalty's alot of the time. But when you are on their 25 and you have a kicker rated 90, you think you have this in the bag, you let the clock tick to 1 sec and call your time out and the A.I just happens to say, you get a bad snap son. Well their aint nothing you will be able to do but lose. You lose not because of something you did wrong and not because of something your opponent did superb. I dunno, it sounds good in theory, but when we look at the practicality of it, it's kinda a mixed bag IMO. If the kick is blocked fine, you should lose. I dunno, I could make some space for botched snaps, but it somehow needs to be because you the user did something wrong.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:38 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 8

Having total control is a good thing I agree. But there are things that happen that can only be explained by dumb luck... they are random. It exists in all sports. You hear real ballers laugh about how fumbles were bouncing the wrong way for them and such. Stuff like that. It's the "X" factor that's missing in video games IMO.

I also don't expect this to happen every other game or something. Maybe a hanful of times (3-5?) in an entire season spread out among ALL the teams.

This is something that doesn't happen often enough to justify a rating.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:

GAMEC0CK2002 said:
--fumbled snaps
--botched shotgun formation snaps
--mishandled FG snap by the holder
--punt snaps that go over the punter's head

If not, I think we'd be more likely to see this done by ESPN football than Madden. Would definitely add more realism to any football game.

Actually, I know that FPSF had the first two things on your list, and I believe that they had the other two things too. There was a 'hands' rating that determined the qb/center exchange.

Taylor34
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #22
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

but lbz, all nfl teams try to save that last time out for things like... bad snaps. they should also allow you to get up and move if the snap is bad so you can run or pass b/c that's realistic.

and it doesn't need it's own rating, it can be part of an already existing rating that makes up the center's overall rating. what the hell are the ratings on the center good for? what makes the center any different than a guard right now? in real life being able to snap to the QB or holder is a big reason why many guards aren't centers.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:03 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 15

first of all, botched qb center exchanges should not be based on stats. Im willing to say that the percentage of botched snaps between a probowl center and qb and some scrubs is negligible at best. Snapping the ball isnt a very difficult thing to do its more of a mental breakdown.

the shotgun and long snaps i guess could be based on stats but correct me if im wrong but I dont really know of any nfl longsnapper thats is prone to making bad snaps. I guess if you try to get away with some crappy rookie or something you should get penalized.

I agree stuff like this should be in the game but with an option to have them turned on or off. And if they are on I dont want the game to go out of the way to show this "feature" like most of the bull-ish replay challenges last year. It should be a very miniscule chance for stuff like this to happen, maybe only see it once a season for your team.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Maybe if the weather is really bad, or somehow too much sweat gets on the ball, but most times those snaps are RARE. Maybe the holder isn't ready, or the field is slippery and the kicker slips. The punter isn't ready and the crowd is so loud that the long snapper thinks he hears hike and snaps it over the punters head. OK I'll accept that. Those are REAL conditions. But A.I randomly saying, ohhh let's make the ball go further than it needs to, just to be doing so and make the game more "cool" I don't know about that. All I'm going to say is some of you need to be careful what you ask for. You just might get it. If you do get it and If you often find yourself on the end you do not desire because you got what you asked for, thy mouth should be silent

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »