Home

I will be a first time ESPN NFL buyer what should I expect?

This is a discussion on I will be a first time ESPN NFL buyer what should I expect? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2004, 04:10 PM   #25
Pr*

SEGA_LOYAL_FAN's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: I will be a first time ESPN NFL buyer what should I expect?

This is hard to say from a person that has played the 2k series since the start but for NFL 2k4 i had to learn how to play 2k again through practice mode because of how much it improved from 2k3 - 2k4. Practice mode and playing with someone that can teach you the ins and outs of the game will get you to appreciate the game a bit more. If you're gonna play through Xbox LIVE let me know. I will help you out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 8

The Super Back phenomenon is unquestionably a problem. I know exactly how to run defend (hint, you need to take on blockers and force the back to turn into your defensive help), but against someone who wants to run Ricky Williams or Marshall Faulk all day, the best you can do is make them earn their 200 yards. That said, someone who runs on every play isn't getting any yards through the air, and giving up 200 yards in total offense is very acceptable. On the other hand, against someone who takes the Dolphins or the Raiders and is comfortable running both inside and outside, and manages to mix in enough passing to make you respect it- that's really tough to stop.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:01 PM   #27
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Dynasty4Kobe said:
So this game is really that much of a football sim, huh? Any chance I would get used to it if I just started paying attention to football during last year's playoffs. I know it's gonna take a while, but I think that if I'm gonna start getting into football and football games, I might as well start with the most realistic game.

didn't see anyone respond to this. i'd argue that the game will make you appreciate the real game that much more. first and foremost it's a videogame just like any other. if you try to do something in a video game and it doesn'twork, you try something else, right? well i know many run to the forum and bitch about how the game is broke for sports titles but i look at all games like this. the practice mode can be a great help and just try different plays against different defenses, different routes and patterns against different defenses, different special moves for different situations and you'll get a good sense of when to call what and when to do what.

they also have a HUGE in game manual in 2k4 with a glossary of nfl/general football terminology and appear to be adding significantly to the training mode for 2k5 so you should be just fine.

as for why is this game better than madden, that's definitely a matter of opinion and some of the answers are full of utopian thoughts. i'll give you a simple general reason to why i prefer the game over madden. i feel out madden every year and it seems that if i figure out the little glitches and quirks that every video game has then it no longer feels like i'm playing football but a video game. whether it's boringly easy or difficult in an artificial feeling way, i could be playing an advanced version of tetris. the additions of the franchise mode help balance this feeling for single player fans (as of the 2004 games madden has a much better franchise mode as well as stat tracking). multiplayer is the same but you can get good games if your opponent knows all the tricks too however i don't feel like these are good games of football, just good games. to get good games of football you and your opponent would need to agree to not abuse certain things.

with espn i feel like i'm playing and coaching football much more. the plays you call (or don't call) play a HUGE roll in how successful you'll be. as already mentioned, you feel much more in control of your defensive players, but mostly the entire feeling when playing a game against the cpu or a person just feels more realistic to me. there are some glitches like any other game here too but there just doesn't seem to be as many "money" plays, glitch moves or unexplainable results of plays as in madden. even losing is often fun.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #28
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

Ditto what WWharton said.

I think the sheer number of different animations that you'll see will constantly have your finger on the replay button. It will probably take you 5 hours to finish one game! The blocking alone will have you mesmerized!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:33 AM   #29
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

Ditto what WWharton said.

I think the sheer number of different animations that you'll see will constantly have your finger on the replay button. It will probably take you 5 hours to finish one game! The blocking alone will have you mesmerized!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:44 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree with everything WW has said except the part about losing. Lost last night online. I was
the Cowboys vs Eagles. Final score 24-23. Deuce Staley goes over from the one with no time remaining. Tough loss, I am still thinking, " how did I lose this game? " Bitter pill to swallow.
Expect to be have fun playing a true SIM FOOTBALL game and expect to be mentally challenged. Peace.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 12

As a former Madden Guy myself(converted over last year) the hardest
thing for me was hitting the O to switch to the closest player to
the ball. I just kept going for the x It was very fustrating
and I never really made the adjustment(because I played alot of NCAA).
The other problem was controlling your QB drop back steps. Alot of people
let the CPU do it but to me that felt like cheating. Once you learn the
plays and what the drop steps should be you'll be fine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #32
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I like the QB dropback and don't think its cheating. A QB in the NFL doesn't even have to think about his drop in a play because its so natural. Same for those that allow the CPU to drop back for you to the appropriate depth. Its reading the defense that is the key. Just my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »