Home

Different perspective on the low price

This is a discussion on Different perspective on the low price within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37
Different perspective on the low price

I am just as happy as the rest of you about the $19.99 price. This got me thinking about something. Apparently they can sell it at that price and still make a profit. I find it hard to believe they would sell a game and take a loss on it. Makes me wonder how jacked up the prices are on all the games when they come out. What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Different perspective on the low price

They are banking on every football fan buying this game. Even the die hard Madden people will probably shell out $20 to try the game. Sega is betting once everyone does this, they will realize that ESPN is the better game and get next years and so on. This price point is probably only to gain some market share on Madden. Look for the price to go up next year.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:

funky_chicken said:
I am just as happy as the rest of you about the $19.99 price. This got me thinking about something. Apparently they can sell it at that price and still make a profit. I find it hard to believe they would sell a game and take a loss on it. Makes me wonder how jacked up the prices are on all the games when they come out. What do you guys think?

Think of it this way, they are going for the quantity in sales, not numbers per sale... this year they are selling this game for less than half of what it was last year, so meaning if they want to get up to what they sold last year in terms of money, they'd have to sell over twice as many as last year. Not saying that it can't be done, but I'm saying that that's not their aim for this year. They need to get people to see what this game is, and Take Two did a good thing IMO.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

Go here and scroll down to my post and you will see how much they charged the retail companies last year to buy the game to sell. It gives some good background on how it works from the inside(at least from the retail side)

click me
Old 06-12-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I think it's great they are going with the lower price but I think $29.99 would have been better. The reason is I wonder if people will think it's TOO cheep so there must be something wrong with it. Usually games that are ultra cheep are garbage. People know this in general so I just hope it's not too low that it backfires.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2004, 05:25 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:

ODogg said:
I think it's great they are going with the lower price but I think $29.99 would have been better. The reason is I wonder if people will think it's TOO cheep so there must be something wrong with it. Usually games that are ultra cheep are garbage. People know this in general so I just hope it's not too low that it backfires.

Also just glancing at the price may make people think its last
years game cause older games are usually cheaper.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:

TDKing said:
Quote:

ODogg said:

Also just glancing at the price may make people think its last
years game cause older games are usually cheaper.

As dumb as this sounds it's a very good point.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

I'll tell you whats gonna happen.

First of all VC/ESPN will have a review copy of ESPN NFL 2K5 out the same time or earlier than Madden2005 so what happened last year won't happen. Where EA said they were the best rated football game out and no other game was even out yet. That won't happen this year.

Sure when ESPN NFL 2K5 comes out the uninformed people are gonna question why its only $20. They will see people who are buying will be buying 1 maybe 2 maybe more copies of the game and they will want to see why the people are buying all these copies and will tell them why. The cashiers will tell them that the game is good because they know nothing is wrong with the game and say VC/Take-Two just wants to get it in as many hands as possible so they priced it $20. Madden fans will pick it up because the games have been rated so close they'll want to see whats so good about the 2K/ESPN series. The first shipment will sellout for sure. The Playstation syndrome will happen too. Once someone mess up their first copy of ESPN NFL 2005 they'll simply just buy another new copy. I have 2 copies pre-ordered and I'm sure I'll buy others the give to the real ESPN haters around me.

ESPN NFL 2K5 will sell more units that Madden2005.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »