Home

Post on G4 boards pumping ESPN

This is a discussion on Post on G4 boards pumping ESPN within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: Post on G4 boards pumping ESPN

Now if we can just get Tina "T-Dub" Wood over here. She is HOT!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2004, 08:55 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

ortonius said:
Now if we can just get Tina "T-Dub" Wood over here. She is HOT!

Don't forget the thuggles.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #43
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

Ya'll are some nasty MoFo. Them women are ugly
Old 06-27-2004, 02:46 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:

Jon22 said:
Ya'll are some nasty MoFo. Them women are ugly

I gotta kinda agree - They arent butt ugly but i can sure the hell think of many other women that are much more prettier. For female gamers though - they arent too shabby looking.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #45
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

allgames said:
While I have indeed resigned from G4TechTV, i'm consulting on the sports programming. Monday I will go through the game in All Pro to check on the running game, kicking, passing etc.

The playbook comment is only in reference to the plays for doubling a position. Double X, Double Z, Double TE, Double Slot. Those seem to be pretty basic plays to be able to call. Im looking for someone to tell me they are in there.

I do think the play variety is nice although I wouldn't agree that they are MUCH better than madden.

The floating pass, yes it is when a lob pass is thrown but it doesn't look natural, you know what i'm talking about, it's the same floater that's been in there previously.

The QB Swivel is also annoying, again the same thing as in previous versions. The QB doesn't strafe, but swivels.

The game is just plain fun though and that's what has all of us at G4 so stoked.

Picking off tipped passes and wayward ones have been kind of easy with the black button. Again, still on Pro, I promise to spend more time with it on All Pro, Monday.

If you have specific questions I will do my best to get them answered.

We're supposed to get NCAA and Madden this coming week so hopefully I can compare.

As far as being a fanboy, i have played madden mostly over the past 2 years, but before that was diehard 2K fan on the dreamcast.

Nice community here, looking forward to reading others opinions as the games come out.

you really should make a conscious effort to not show madden bias. it's clear that it's not really intentional but for those of us that have played this game for the last few years it is pretty clear.

about the playbooks, basically your problem is they don't read like madden's. personally i do think they are much better and many agree. they're much more realistic including realistic names for plays. in the game you can set a player to double in man coverage or call a zone that will create the doubling effect. b/c it's not called "double x" or "double z" is pretty much why you claim its not there. that's unfair to the series and reason many fans may think you just want it like madden b/c you're more familiar with madden.

You also say things like "too floaty like all previous years". We complain about a lot of things in the game even if we prefer it but if I liked the game last year then saying something is like the previous year and making a negative comment about it doesn't tell me anything and makes me think you're again comparing it to what you're used to in madden. With the QB swivel you explained it a little more, talking about strafing (btw, if you can get most of your passes off in the alotted time given for the drops or rollout this is a nonissue). For the passing just saying, I don't know, just like in the pass sounds like "I don't know, it's not madden".

I look forward to hearing your feelings on the allpro level especially since no one has said anything about it yet. It'd be great if you can judge it independently of any of the 04 games though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #46
MVP

Well instead of leaping all over it, tell him exactly how to do a double coverage. He asked me the other night how to double a TE and I normally cover him manually with my LB if he is too much of a pain. I see no lessons in the tutorial on how to do it. All of the plays in the NFL2K playbook are either variations of man, zone, and blitz it never shows exactly who is being covered until you pull the left trigger on the field and even then you never see 2 people on a guy. I will give you 3 examples and explain what play you would use and method of coverage.

#1 Shockey is being a pain in the [censored]. Without manually covering him how do you double cover him using the AI?

#2 Randy Moss is burning you every which way and you want 2 guys to follow him no matter what he does.

#3 Glenn and Key are driving you insane you want your Saftey and Corner to be all over them from the start of the play in Man coverage right and left.

I have been playing it long enough I just play good all around defense, but I have no idea to put it into Madden terms. On the WRs I normally bump em at the line and have my Safetys float back. On the TE I normally manually cover them with my LB along with the CPU having a man on them, but I think the best thing to do is share your strategy on what you would do instead of calling the Double-X and so on plays for a Madden player.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:24 PM   #47
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

subz, i hear you but considering i was just giving some constructive criticism i didn't want to open up a discussion about that but that is a good point. a problem many have said about the series is they don't give you enough instructions. in 2k3 it was horrible so they began packing thick books and following up with online pdfs of extended manuals. but you're right it still doesn't get into the x's and o's in terms of reading the d names enough.

personally i'm like you and couldn't break down each play however i know there are people that can and have. lbz, bk, etc. have done it in the past, i can only be general. if you play man then assigning a player to be double teamed does the trick. if your safeties are playing zone they obviously won't do it so you'd have to control one yourself and take him out of his zone, but otherwise that's the simple answer. the complicated one is when playing zone which i prefer for something like this. you can kind of see from the play when players will double up certain areas of the field. maybe someone else can explain better.

again, i'm not trying to get on him for criticizing the playbooks but just stating it's unfair to criticize them based on being familiar with the ones in madden. i know it's hard not too if that's what you're used to but it shouldn't be hard to recognize that you're difficulty with an area of the game may be due to familiarity with another and if reviewing the game, that area shouldn't be pointed out as a flaw or at least should be acknowledged as being troublesome to someone more familiar with the other game. i'm looking forward to more thoughts and it would make it easier to personalize his experiences with what mine (or anyone's) might be if it's clear the basis for some thoughts.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #48
MVP

Yeah I am not trying to bash you either, I totally agree with you on the other points you made. ESPN is not Madden and I like it that way. The stuff about the QB and the "floaty passes". You have bullets and lobs and they act like they should IMO. But in terms of the playbooks I think somebody explaining 2K equivalents to the double coverage plays would be a good thing for Madden players to understand.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »