Home

Post on G4 boards pumping ESPN

This is a discussion on Post on G4 boards pumping ESPN within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Post on G4 boards pumping ESPN

I was referred to this commentary from the DSP forum. Solid info from someone who's been playing a build of the game:

Quote:

Ok so we've had a build of ESPN 2K5 for the Xbox and after about 4 games I wanted to come and give some feedback.
First of all, congrats to the guys at Visual Concepts for a great job polishing what was shown at E3. The game is much tighter and a LOT of fun.
The presentation is simply outstanding with half-time and end of game highlights commented by Chris Berman. All EXCELLENT in terms of the camera angles the replays are shown, and the commentary done by Berman.

One shocker I didn't know about was that on the Xbox version every play of the game is saved as a replay, so at the end of the game, as you're going through the game log, you can select any play and jump into the replay with full camera controls. This would really help people running leagues post highlight videos to share.

The franchise mode is DEEEEEEP, and I started by sending Brady to the film room, Cory Dillon to work on his legs in the weight room, and had my linemen on the stationary bikes. In short, you can assign game preparation to every player every day up till gametime. The results will affect your players ratings.

The animations in the game are simply GORGEOUS, they have really done a great job capturing the excitment and FUN of NFL games. The crowds react and do all kinds of crazy things, vendors toss peanuts to fans, and they even did the wave. Ok so that may be very UNRELEVANT.

Gameplay wise, the game just felt much better than last year, running was fun and more realistic, passing was a little hit or miss sometimes, but catch animations, interceptions, forced fumbles, all come to life with sharp animations.

There is too much to post after just a few games, but for 20 Bucks, this game is a STEAL.

I'll continue to play it over the next week and give you my feedback here.

Madden should be here in a week or so, but let me tell you, this year the competition will be FIERCE, as this game is just flat out fun and gorgeous.

Are you ready for some football?

http://forums.g4techtv.com/messagevi...AR_MSGDBTABLE=
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Post on G4 boards pumping ESPN

That's Scot Rubin from the show g4tv.com on G4. He's a huge Madden fanboy, also, he posted more about the game on the second page.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
D*lph*ns m*k* m* cry

OVR: 13

Yeah he said the running is easy(but he did say it was on pro and was bumping it to all pro to find out if it is harder)
Old 06-25-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
D*lph*ns m*k* m* cry

OVR: 13

Yeah he said the running is easy(but he did say it was on pro and was bumping it to all pro to find out if it is harder)
Old 06-25-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:

Slickman said:
That's Scot Rubin from the show g4tv.com on G4. He's a huge Madden fanboy, also, he posted more about the game on the second page.

And here are those comments:

Quote:

The real story is this game isn't just good as a 20 dollar title, it would have been worth the full price, but at 20 there is just no reason to not pick it up if you like NFL games.

More games today, more good times. The only major issue i'm finding is with the playbooks. Can't we get some double tight, double X double Z and such. I am surprised they haven't updated the playbook since I find it to be the most confusing part of the game. The Madden playbooks are much clearer and more intuitive.

The running game in Pro seems a bit too easy, so we'll switch up to All-Pro now to get an idea what it's like.

The head to head games have been great with some nice interceptions and tipped passes that look natural.

The player movements still have that "NFL2K" feel to them which I kinda dislike, but the animations make up for it.

The replays at the half and end of game are exactly the little extras that make you feel like you've played in a televised game. Madden MUST have highlights at the half on Xbox or it will be a real downer.

Minor things I don't like:

Playbook i mentioned

When you put a man in motion (not all can go in motion for some reason) NFL2K does this thing where they flip his route...don't DO THAT. I will change it with a hot route if I want to, but sometimes I want to send a man in motion and have him run the ORIGINAL route from wherever he is when I hike the ball.

The announcers never have and still don't sound like the guys I hear on ESPN Sunday Night Football, that's who should be doing the play by play and commentary. Im sick of the 2K announcers.

FG kicking a bit too easy (again only PRO so far)
FG kicking needs innovation maybe with the analog stick like the golf games.

The interviews with Suzy Kolber and players at the end of the game are so stiff it's hard to believe she actually does those in real life. Why can't we just let her actually interview some people instead of having her read which she isn't doing well.

Some dumb AI appearing on defense and special teams. Guys going right for the QB then kinda not going for him, also guys who should be blocking just standing around. On returns i have had to deal with DUMB blockers who should be anticipating the oncoming rush of tacklers.

Some passes have that same annoying floating thing that has been in every 2K game.

Little things I like

Turf chunks fly around from time to time

Player chatter and trash talking is improved

When a team challenges a receivers feet in bounds, he is seen joking with teamates on the sideline doing his footwork like he did on the sideline.

Coaches look dead on, Joe Gibbs is in the GAME, IT"S HIM

I think there are about 20 TD celebrations and they can be mapped to each of the buttons for on the spot endzone dance choices. No icky shuffle, but the dirty bird and 2 versions of DEION's PRIMETIME DANCE, is in there. Sweet.

Players get on the phone to talk to the coaches after great plays

Player models are astounding with details from their uni's to skin and muscles

More to come

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2004, 01:31 PM   #6

ChicagoChris's Arena

OVR: 11

His comments dont seem to add any insight about the game...he is just rehashing all the stuff we know or have seen...
Old 06-25-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Rookie

ultramag7's Arena

Quote:

Slickman said:

damn, that's rubin? all he talks about is madden with those chicks!!!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:

Some dumb AI appearing on defense and special teams. Guys going right for the QB then kinda not going for him, also guys who should be blocking just standing around. On returns i have had to deal with DUMB blockers who should be anticipating the oncoming rush of tacklers.

I hope this isnt in the final copy, we had these problems in 2k4.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »