Home

EA comments on the $20.00 price tag

This is a discussion on EA comments on the $20.00 price tag within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2004, 07:43 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA comments on the $20.00 price tag

u know u guys are right ea put it to us every year. promising this and promising that and never delivers i had posted this earlier a couple of months ago and some of the guys shot me down. I only buy easports games because i got hooked way back in the sega genesis days when they were really good but now all u get is hype and then nothing. I am going to buy madden and also espn and iam going to weigh the difference if it beat madden 2005 next year they could charge more than madden thats where my money will be going because it makes no sense for a company that have the capabilities of easports keep doing this to loyal customers i mean this is the only sports brand i buy and they keep doing the same crap all over again. I bet you 30 dollars to bucket of crap when u start ur dynasty with a small school u will be stuck with that same stadium in ncaa forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2004, 07:49 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 10

VC and Take2 are prepared for EA and their followers. They will have advertisement for the $20 price tag. If all the people making these "I don't know about this $20 price point thingy" read the Q&A Gamespot had with VC and Take2 on this subject you would know that. I have the link of the Q&A posted in my sig. If you haven't read it then read it and be quiet.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:07 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:

When a company drops its price basically is saying that its product is only worth 20 dollars

That's ludicrous. Aggressive pricing is a pretty common strategy in all industries,even the car industry,especially on the local level.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:11 PM   #28
Rookie

jaywv30's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

8bit said:
Quote:

Muerte777 said:

What the hell do you expect him to say? "ESPN is a great game. It has a bargain price for a greatly superior product, and every football gamer owes it to themselves to buy it."

Of course not, the average gamer might think it's a bad game because of the price, and he's trying to convince people that's true. I'm not sure why that's all that shocking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although it's a competition, there's a certain amount of mutual respect you'd expect to be made. A certain amount of PROFESSIONAL respect. It's a really arrogant statement, especially when you consider EA's biggest attribute is a huge, mostly undemanding fanbase (which is pretty much all they need, lol)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily, you don't own a company in a competitive market

IMO, I don't think it's about standing behind your product 100%. That should be the case no matter where you work. You should believe in the product you bring to the table. If I'm a marketing guy, I choose my words carefully and never say anything that would diminish the value of the product I represent.

However, it becomes a matter of credibility when you are quoted in print saying something you (and a lot of intelligent consumers), know or suspect isn't an honest assessment. If I sold Goodrich tires and publicly stated "Michelins are priced less than Goodrich, must be inferior tires", and I say that to people who know something about tires, I think I come off looking like a snake-oil salesman.

Buy the game and judge for yourself. At $20, you'd be foolish not to.

correct me if im wrong, but even if you sell a lot more copies of the game this year, you would see the same likely less profits compared to last year. I mean your basically losing a potential 30 dollars per unit. Not that im complaining, i love the game and am happy to get it cheap. But it is a little questionable from a buisness standpoint.

Well the thinking is that you will sell WAY more units at the lower price because it is very affordable, thus making more money in the long run.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #29
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Do you think if they made the game $150.00 more people will buy it? It could then be considered a superior product to madden, no?

The reason games are 50 bucks is because people will pay 50 bucks for a game.

Im betting the game is 20 bucks and the online part of it will cost money. To maintain online franchises on segas servers.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #30
Rookie

You guys are making it seem like Sega/VC is trying to lose money this year to get market share. That's not true.
This is from someone that works at VC

"We just gotta sell more than we did last year and we'll be fine. There's an exact # that we need to hit to make a profit, but I can't talk about that kind of stuff obviously. It's very attainable. "

That is why they brought Take Two in. They can publish bargain games for cheap for whatever reason. If Sega did it themselves, it would cost a lot more since they are not suited for distributing bargain games, but Take Two specializes in distributing bargain games and knows how to do it so that they make a profit.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:47 PM   #31
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16

My brother is just a casual videogame player. Never pre-ordered a game in his life until he pre-ordered ESPN 2k5 the other day solely because it is $19.99.

This talk about the $20 price being bad is ludicrous, especially since we the consumers are the ones criticizing it!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2004, 10:12 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

******boy said:
You guys are making it seem like Sega/VC is trying to lose money this year to get market share. That's not true.
This is from someone that works at VC

"We just gotta sell more than we did last year and we'll be fine. There's an exact # that we need to hit to make a profit, but I can't talk about that kind of stuff obviously. It's very attainable. "

That is why they brought Take Two in. They can publish bargain games for cheap for whatever reason. If Sega did it themselves, it would cost a lot more since they are not suited for distributing bargain games, but Take Two specializes in distributing bargain games and knows how to do it so that they make a profit.

Gee, that statement worry me a little bit. Majority of the people working at Take Two are probably underpaid or something because of the price cut. But hopefully things will work out better than expected for ESPN Sega sports because it is the "Damn best NFL Sports Game in the World". Of course I got carried away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »