Home

EA comments on the $20.00 price tag

This is a discussion on EA comments on the $20.00 price tag within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: EA comments on the $20.00 price tag

Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Quote:

SoMiss2000 said:
who the heck cares? this price drop is so 1 month ago.

Well, we should care because this is a little bit of a gamble on Sega's part. A lot of money could be lost if the strategy backfires and Sega does not get double or even triple the fan base they had last year. (2k4)

worst case scenerio, the company folds and is picked up by another publisher. Maybe even Microsoft. We shouldn't be worried about next year. This year's game isn't even out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 09:42 AM   #42
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

VC is rolling the dice. It's really a black and white issue. It either works (they move 600,000+ units) or they bust and fold. Game developing in always a gamble. VC is "All In".
Old 07-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #43
Rookie

frina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

SoMiss2000 said:
who the heck cares? this price drop is so 1 month ago.

...and here I thought a forum was a place where you discuss issues....after reading that this is "so 1 month ago" I realize we are just the E! Channel of Sports Gaming...

Old 07-01-2004, 09:56 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:

Clay_OS said:
VC is rolling the dice. It's really a black and white issue. It either works (they move 600,000+ units) or they bust and fold. Game developing in always a gamble. VC is "All In".

I agree Clay. Do you think the earlier poster is right in that VC could just go to another Publisher other than Sega if it does not work? My fear is that they bring the name with them, cursing the future of the Franchise.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:59 AM   #45
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Dark_Lord_Vader said:
Quote:

Clay_OS said:

I agree Clay. Do you think the earlier poster is right in that VC could just go to another Publisher other than Sega if it does not work? My fear is that they bring the name with them, cursing the future of the Franchise.

I heard (a rumor) that Sega/Take Two wants VC to concentrate on Non-Sports gaming. Maybe they are already planning that move? Maybe MS canceled Fever because they have an agreement to buy the 2K franchise and ESPN license next year? It will be interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #46
Rookie

frina's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

Clay_OS said:

I believe it is Take-Two who is probably behind the roll and they probably have the money to do it. The really interesting thing will be if it does work and then they face backlash when they raise the price (if they do) back to $49.99. One of the things I have always been taught as a salesman is that once you lower price you set expectations and it is hard to back to the higher price.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:06 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

frina said:
Quote:

Clay_OS said:

I believe it is Take-Two who is probably behind the roll and they probably have the money to do it. The really interesting thing will be if it does work and then they face backlash when they raise the price (if they do) back to $49.99. One of the things I have always been taught as a salesman is that once you lower price you set expectations and it is hard to back to the higher price.

Meh, but that's for salesmen. Nobody sells video games like products salemen sell. People generally decide for themselves.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #48
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

frina said:
Quote:

Clay_OS said:

If all goes well this year for Sega, it'll be EA lowering the price next year with a whole new name change to get its fans back.

I rubbed my crystal ball this morning and it said that ESPN 2K5 will exceed expectations.

I mean we all know about the game, its not like its a first year title. The game has been out for years now.Even casual fans know about the 2K series. Anybody who has the slightest interest in buying another football game will automatically pick up ESPN for the lower price. Not to say they wont still try Madden but common sense tells us that alot of ppl are fed up with the game and EA as a whole. I talked to my "casual gaming friends" the other day and they all are getting somewhat tired of EA. If thats any example of whats really on a casual gamers mind when it comes to EA, then I dont know what is.

Sega will eventually steal tons of EA fans this year and next year sell the game at 39.99 and EA will more than likely also lower to 39.99. The crystal ball does'nt lie.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »