Home

EA comments on the $20.00 price tag

This is a discussion on EA comments on the $20.00 price tag within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #57
Pr*

SEGA_LOYAL_FAN's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: EA comments on the $20.00 price tag

BTW EBworld and Gamestop have not updated their publisher/developer settings for NFL 2k5 but at the end it should say

Developer: VC
Publisher: Take Two (not Sega of America)
Old 07-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #58
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

It would be nice to see them use some of that GTA brand loyalty in ESPN ads. A ad starts out "from the makers of GTA and GTA: VC. we present ESPN...." go to gameplay of ESPN.

At least get the attention of all those people that bought GTA.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:14 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

SEGA_LOYAL_FAN said:
BTW EBworld and Gamestop have not updated their publisher/developer settings for NFL 2k5 but at the end it should say

Developer: VC
Publisher: Take Two (not Sega of America)

No, it should not. Sega is still the publisher. Take Two is the distributor. (Actually, it's not even TT, it's one of their subsidiaries for bargin games)
Old 07-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #60
Rookie

Quote:

SEGA_LOYAL_FAN said:
Quote:

frina said:
Quote:

Clay_OS said:
VC is rolling the dice. It's really a black and white issue. It either works (they move 600,000+ units) or they bust and fold. Game developing in always a gamble. VC is "All In".

I believe it is Take-Two who is probably behind the roll and they probably have the money to do it. The really interesting thing will be if it does work and then they face backlash when they raise the price (if they do) back to $49.99. One of the things I have always been taught as a salesman is that once you lower price you set expectations and it is hard to back to the higher price.

It seems that only a few people get what Take Two is doing.
1) VC teams up with Take Two to sale more copies of the game THIS YEAR.
2) Take Two(also publishers of the GTA series) suggest in name change or rather going back to what people knew how to recognize VC games on store shelfs("2K").
3) With all the GTA money Take Two says "Here take this money for the loss of not being priced $50 per game and let us set the price to CUT into the Madden sales and attract more customers".
4) Final results =
-2K label recognized by casual gamers(trust me on this some people i knew thought that VC was no longer making games when the 2k4 games came out)
-$20 bargain buy for cheap casual gamers, parents or Madden players that would like to see what the other game plays like.
-Staple the brand on the new customers
-For 2k6 go back to the original price.

If anything i hope more people buy it and that's all i hope for the company(they deserve it).

Next to come is to see if SEGA Corp. drops VC and we see Take Two become the official publisher for VC and add.

This is a 3 year contract with Take Two. We all know the strength of the Take Two marketing team after the success GTA series has had. They have as much money as EA does to waste on advertising because of the success of the GTA moneymaker. VC has little marketing decisions for 3 years now. Take Two will either make or break VC in 3 years.

You're crazy if you think that's what happened. The $20 price will be effective for more than this year. It will be effective till they deem they have a large and loyal enough user base. I highly doubt Take Two suggested going back to the 2k5 name. I'm bet it was VC or Sega thought of this themselves because many people were suggesting it. It's not like it takes a genius to figure that out. Also, you're ******** to think that Take Two is subsidizing the money that Sega is losing from the price drop. Take Two did not go to Sega, Sega went to Take Two because they have an effective way to distribute bargain games for cheap. Take Two does not have money to pay Sega to suplement the loss of $30. Take Two is in huge financial trouble right now because of poor sales of new games like Red Dead Revolver and law suits up the wazoo (Government probes about fraud). Sega is not going to lose money on this. The $20 price tag does not affect Sega/VC's profit margin very much. If it was Sega that was distributing, it would, but Take Two has a more efficient way of doing it because they have a company that specializes in distributing bargain games and making a profit. They somehow lower costs. How? Beats the hell out of me, but they obviously do or else Sega would have published the game themselves at a $20 price point. The $20 price point will be effective until at least the 3 year contract with Take Two ends and could possibly be more if the contract is renewed. That is the whole reason for distributing with Take Two... Because of the bargain distributing. Once the contract ends, then it'll go back to regular price.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #61
Pr*

SEGA_LOYAL_FAN's Arena

OVR: 11

umm....yea this name change was on an article gamespot put up a while ago. I'm not gonna go look for it. It was a "real" article. Half of the other stuff you say if just crazy talk. Poor sales of Red Dead? i dont think so. Check the charts again. Take Two distributes only bargain games?...You know your a very special person?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2004, 03:55 PM   #62
Rookie

Quote:

SEGA_LOYAL_FAN said:
umm....yea this name change was on an article gamespot put up a while ago. I'm not gonna go look for it. It was a "real" article. Half of the other stuff you say if just crazy talk. Poor sales of Red Dead? i dont think so. Check the charts again. Take Two distributes only bargain games?...You know your a very special person?

The subsidiary of Take Two that is going to distribute NFL 2k5 does bargain games. As I noted in the post before, Take Two is not distributing NFL 2k5, it is their bargain game subsidiary. Red Dead is considered a bust by Take Two so far. Read some articles on how they are in trouble. CEOs getting fired... Major management shuffles... SEC probes... They lowered their earnings report this quarter by almost half. Earnings for they year were sliced by almost 20%. Take Two does not have the money to subsidize $30 to Sega for every copy sold. That's just ridiculous. Especially when they could become the next Enron.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:18 PM   #63

OVR: 34

Throw the towel Rock! Throw the damn towel!

I think EA should give away thier game if you have proof of purchase from 3 years ago, simply because the game hasn't changed much.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:51 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 22

VC isnt going anywhere...i dont think this is a roll of the dice neither. Honestly the game is gonna sell well wheather some of you guys wanna believe it or not. ALso regardless of the sales this year..VC will be right here next year with ESPN 2k6 and years after. Their game is too good to just simply throw in the towel and if sega feels they arent worth keeping..someone like MS will be hang'n around to pick them up.

From an anylyst standpoint..ESPN has the goods to suprass Madden in sales eventually and this price drop is just one stab at doing it. If it dont work as planned..there will be a new plan for next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »