Home

New to ESPN... can you change starting position?

This is a discussion on New to ESPN... can you change starting position? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8
New to ESPN... can you change starting position?

I have been a long time Madden player, but because of the all of the great talk and hype about 2k5, and of course the $20 price tag, I couldn't resist changing over to ESPN for a year, at least for something different for a year.

One question I have is whether or not you can change someones starting position. For instance can you take your starting gaurd and convert him to a tackle. I know you may be able to just place him at tackle, but will he be considered as a tackle for the pro bowl, etc.

Madden just added a feature this year where you could do this. A players rankings may go down a bit or a ton, depending on the position switch, but now you can finally change someones default position. Does ESPN have any feature like this?

I always like to stockpile Olinemen in my franchise, but it never fails that I'll have like two stud centers and never get playing time with the backup. It would be great to just take the backup and make him learn the guard position. Or to take a really good but aging CB and make him a FS. You all get the point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: New to ESPN... can you change starting position?

First things first you need to get 2K4 and play that first. You're not going to stick with 2K5 if you haven't at least tried it and gotten used to the difference in gameplay. Although there are a lot of things they changed some things stay the same.

To your question yes you can. You have to create and Manage a playbook/substitutions. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to load it right before you play every game but its worth it. You can set your punt/kick returners, change someones position and you can have players come in on certain sets. I like to have my best pass rushers on the D-line when I play Nickel and Dime coverage and my best tackling D-line players in on 4-3, Bear and Goaline defenses. You can even change you defense from 4-3 to 3-4 and vise versa if you want when managing a playbook/substitutions.

I also must warn you you will not be able to do 30 yard dropbacks if thats your bread and butter. You may get away with it every once and a while but 95% of the time you'll get either creamed or intercepted for trying it.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

actually you CAN'T... not as he described. yes you can sub them into different spots but you can't convert. this is a feature that's never been in any game so it's great that madden's adding it but i can't see gettin bent out of shape if no one else has it yet. we'll see how it works out in madden. if it's done right i'm sure every other football game will soon follow the lead.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

wwharton said:
actually you CAN'T... not as he described. yes you can sub them into different spots but you can't convert. this is a feature that's never been in any game so it's great that madden's adding it but i can't see gettin bent out of shape if no one else has it yet. we'll see how it works out in madden. if it's done right i'm sure every other football game will soon follow the lead.

Hey coach are you sure about that I thought I read something different on that subject from ESPN sports game site maybe I'm not understanding what you'er saying here so I'll check back at that site but it was my understanding that you could do this feature this year,I may have read it wrong but I know that in the NBA LIVE game you can change the players position so it has been done in other games already and EA lets this kind of thing happen with no problem a, little over the top but they let you do it.

Holla Back
Rickster101
Old 07-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

sportsgeist said:
First things first you need to get 2K4 and play that first. You're not going to stick with 2K5 if you haven't at least tried it and gotten used to the difference in gameplay.

I TOTALLY disagree with this. Playing 2k4 will just introduce you to the ridiculous running game and broken tackles and make him not want to play 2k5 at all. He's much better off only spending $20 for the new game and hoping they have fixed those problems.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yea I agree I wouldnt go out and buy 2k4 when 2k5 is most likely the same price at release and also the espn series is not like madden, the gameplay changes year to year, where as in EA's Madden series the only thing changin is the features.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Rickster101 said:
Quote:

wwharton said:

Hey coach are you sure about that I thought I read something different on that subject from ESPN sports game site maybe I'm not understanding what you'er saying here so I'll check back at that site but it was my understanding that you could do this feature this year,I may have read it wrong but I know that in the NBA LIVE game you can change the players position so it has been done in other games already and EA lets this kind of thing happen with no problem a, little over the top but they let you do it.

Holla Back
Rickster101

I don't know if I'm understanding what you're saying actually. You can move say Urlacher to DE if you want, yes. But you can't make Urlacher a DE in your franchise. Meaning he won't be listed with the DE's, ratings effected based on being a DE, voted to the pro bowl as a DE, etc. This is a new feature in madden, I don't know about Live but considering it's EA also I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

Thanks for all of the answers. I figured that only Madden would have this feature this year. Maybe next year for ESPN.

I won't be going out to get 2K4 to get used to the series. Whats the point when I can get 2K5 for just as cheap? Besides I'm not completely new to the series. I had 2k1 and 2k2 for dreamcast, the only years I didn't own a madden game since super nintendo.

I frankly am excited about playing a non-madden nfl game. Madden has made some great franchise features over the years and I am not going to bad mouth EA. But really the gameplay doesn't change all that much from year to year, so it may be cool to play a whole different game for a year for something new. Who knows, but I am definitely pumped!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »