Home

Phillip Rivers Picture

This is a discussion on Phillip Rivers Picture within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Phillip Rivers Picture

Throwing the deep ball isn't the issue- any quarterback can lob it up there and hope something happens. The problem is that Rivers cannot throw the intermediate to deep routes with an acceptable velocity at the pro level. Every time I watched Rivers in college, I came away seeing multiple throws that would be picked in the NFL. You can't spread the ball and throw the three yard hitch over and over in the NFL. He doesn't have anything resembling a first round caliber arm, and frankly I think he was drafted about three rounds too high.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:52 PM   #10
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

I read the negative posts in this thread with regards to Rivers and one name comes to mind......

Joe Montana.

Not saying that Rivers is going to be Montana-esque, but give me a break. Everyone is trying to break Rivers down like they know something. Why was the "can't miss" Leaf a bust? Why was Brady and Warner taken in the later rounds an afterthought? Let's come back to this subject in three years and see where we stand.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:58 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 8

I've got one name that comes to mind for Rivers- Danny Wuerffel.

(And don't talk to me about Ryan Leaf being a can't miss player. I hated his game in college.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 14

This reminds so much of Brady discussions I have had.

Brady is Bar-None, the best Quarterback in the league. Don't come at me with the Peyton Manning-Steve McNair stats. The last time I checked, the Quarterbacks job is to lead his team to victory, not pile up the best stats in the league. Brady leads his team to victory much better than any other Quarterback in the league. You can say, "Well he has the best supporting cast in the game." That is a valid point, but he never fails in a Must-Do situation, just look at his 8-0 record in overtime games for proof of that.

Now that my Brady rant is out of me, lets get back to the subject. Rivers is gonna have a hard time adjusting to the NFL IMO. Like a previous poster said, he will not have enough zip on the intermediate passes to get them through defenders. For him to be accurate he needs to have an arch to his pass because of his low delivery. He will not be able to throw those low laser passes that EVERY other QB can throw, therefore I expect him to get picked off A LOT until he alters his mechanics.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:04 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 9

Wow, you should be a scout. Clearly from your couch you are able to see things that pro scouts are missing. Good job!
Old 07-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #14
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

Triton said:
Wow, you should be a scout. Clearly from your couch you are able to see things that pro scouts are missing. Good job!

No doubt. It's a good thing that Bernie Kosar or David Carr weren't scouted by this guy. They would've never been drafted.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:19 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:

Squint said:
Quote:

Triton said:

No doubt. It's a good thing that Bernie Kosar or David Carr weren't scouted by this guy. They would've never been drafted.

I never said he won't be good. I think even though he will get picked, he will be a good QB. I don't think he warrants where he was drafted(Basically #1 overall), I think Big Ben is better than him. Is he a first rounder IMO? Yes he is, just not a #1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2004, 11:27 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

phillip rivers. ha ha.

you might need to know a little about ACC football to understand where i'm coming from, but

what a douche.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »