Home

The beauty of VC/Take Two's vision.....

This is a discussion on The beauty of VC/Take Two's vision..... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2004, 04:57 AM   #1
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
The beauty of VC/Take Two\'s vision.....

While I impatiently wait for my copy of ESPN I've pondered the wonderful decision of VC/Take two to give us this game for a measely $20. I wondered why they are pushing up the release date to the 20th of July.(which I love; Birthday's the 24th!) Then I watched the NCAA videos pondering whether or not to buy it. (been a PC gamer, love college football, bought an Xbox, finally love for me! ) After all of this, an epiphany hit me: VC is brilliant!

How so? By releasing a top-flight game(by all early accounts) at a rock-bottom price it will jade the average consumer to accepting a higher price point. The timing also cuts into EA's uncontested sales period (NCAA is unopposed normally) The question that VC is posing to the consumer is no longer "who's better?" but "is the competition that much better?" For myself the answer is "No."

Will this shake up the market? Maybe not at first. If VC continues this pricing stratagy thoughout it entire sports lineup this year, while maintaining the quality of games they are becoming known for, the video sports gaming industry will be shaken up. Will VC make this work? Will it be a long-term plan or a single year deal? Who knows.

ESPN Football is the game that can make the paradigm shift in the industry.....

P.S. Really leaning toward buying a used NCAA 2004(17.99 EB) or waiting until 2005 is in the used bin. I love a bargain........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: The beauty of VC/Take Two\'s vision.....

I agree...Though Espn will take a few sales from Ncaa(Not to many) It is a good move...I have heard a few people say " Wow now that Espn is coming out on the 20th, there is no need to get ncaa)..Of course Ncaa is really good though....It's a great game
Old 07-12-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 21

I'm just glad to have an NFL game before the preseason games start. Usually, I have no interest in playing any preseason games because the real life season has already started. This year, I'll build my Steelers team as the real life preseason unfolds.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

I really don't understand the fascisnation with things like this. Price drops, market share, etc.

Just hope the game is good and that you'll like it. It'll be out next year, and the year after etc. Just enjoy it!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:

Jistic said:
I really don't understand the fascisnation with things like this. Price drops, market share, etc.

Just hope the game is good and that you'll like it. It'll be out next year, and the year after etc. Just enjoy it!

My "fascisnation" with it is for one reason and one reason alone: Things like this HOPEFULLY will make all developers push the envelope in terms of what they offer. Competition is great for us gamers. If what Sega is doing makes EA wake up a little and start doing some real improvements then we all win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:

Jistic said:

I can't understand this sentiment, either. Gameday, Fever, ASB, Inside Pitch ... all gone. As much as we may hate it, sales do matter.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:39 AM   #7
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Skyboxer said:
Quote:

Jistic said:

My "fascisnation" with it is for one reason and one reason alone: Things like this HOPEFULLY will make all developers push the envelope in terms of what they offer. Competition is great for us gamers. If what Sega is doing makes EA wake up a little and start doing some real improvements then we all win.

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand...
Old 07-12-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

Briankingsfan said:
while maintaining the quality of games they are becoming known for

Becoming known for?

They're already known for their quality work. Where were you when the Dreamcast was kickin? They're already known for having the best NBA, MLB and NHL franchises. Their NFL games have been one of the top rated football games by most reviewers (over the past 5 years) and people who took the time to learn the gameplay and you say "BECOMING KNOWN FOR". VC has caused EA to rework their NBA and MLB games and they still need to rework their Hockey games to get even close to ESPN NHL's goodness and you say "BECOMING KNOWN FOR". Man I got to lay down after that one.

The beauty of their $20 price is it will get people who were too rock headed to try an already quality product. VC/Take2 knows if they get you to try it long enough to learn the gameplay you will be hooked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »