Home

Ok, riddle me this... (In light of me reserving ESPN)

This is a discussion on Ok, riddle me this... (In light of me reserving ESPN) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #1

OVR: 34
Ok, riddle me this... (In light of me reserving ESPN)

I went to EB games today, brought in two games I never play anymore, along with Pearl Harbor (which I never even opened) and I reserved ESPN 2K5. Now just out of curiosity I asked the gentleman at the counter how many they have reserved. His reply was a total of 6 for the Xbox and PS2. I then asked how many copies of Madden was reserved. He stated, "Oh man...tons!" I then thought to myself, that is a shame. But why? How does Madden do it? Year after year, they pull in the sales. And then, on my way home, listening to my 5 month old son crying because he was tired, I thought..."It's Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett." EA Sports is the Sinatra of sports gaming. They have the looks, the style, the charisma, and most of all they've got pop. ESPN is Tony Bennett. The talent, vocals and performance are Tony's. He just wasn't as popular as Frank. Frank had pop. He wasn't more qualified or more talented, just more popular. Folks would go see him in his tired, worn out dieing days and still be entertained. Frank will always overshadow Tony, that will never change. And unfortunately, the same may be for Madden and ESPN. It's Britney Spears and Norah Jones. Pepsi and RC Cola...Madden and ESPN. Now think to yourself how many people (even ourselves) give attention, energy and income to something that claims to be of the best quality while that which is far superior goes almost unnoticed and abandoned. Let be knowledgable and use wisdom in our discernment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Pro

FocusYoMindOnDis's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Ok, riddle me this... (In light of me reserving ESPN)

wonderful assessment, and sadly true. NO matter what; EA will push out the same ol tired crap, but because people are used to it, they will always buy it. But make no mistake...the people at VC know this that is why they try hard to make there game better. IT is similar to Aretha Franklin, and Patti Labelle. Patti never got her props, but years later it is evident that her career has been longer and actually sans a few mega hits by Aretha (in the 60's and 70's), Patti has been more consistent. Hey the best u can do is keep buying it, and hope people make the switch. I was a EA dieheard, but i made the switch, hopefully other do too...
Old 07-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 22

I know what your saying man - it erks the hell out of me that so many people keep running back to madden when there is another football game equally as good if not better. I'll play madden this year too like i always do but im a very unbiased person when it comes to videogames and i've been playing sports videogames for a very long time and ESPN is a bit better then madden overall imho AND i was a DIE HARD madden player.

I guess what bugs me is the lack of effort EAsports is putting into its game each year but yet gamers keep flocking to it. On the other side of the coin we got ESPN that is doing 110% more each year and making its game just as good as madden if not better but yet its still getting ignored.

Though i think this year the tide is gonna change a bit more then last year.

Its like you have two Pro Players here. One that misses practice alot and is only intrested in getting the ball on game day "Madden" and gets all the glamor and popularity and then we got this other Player that hustles his butt of during practice each day during the week and gives his 110% during game day and yet doesnt get noticed even though he produces "ESPN"
Old 07-16-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Pro

FocusYoMindOnDis's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

Moegames said:
I know what your saying man - it erks the hell out of me that so many people keep running back to madden when there is another football equally as good if not better. I'll play madden this year too like i always do bu tim a very unbiased person when it comes to videogames and i've been playing sports videogames for a very long time and ESPN is a bit better then madden overall imho AND i was a DIE HARD madden player.

I guess what bugs me is the lack of effort EAsports is putting into its game each year but yet it gamers keep flocking to it. On the other side of the coin we got ESPN that is doing 110% more each year and making its game just as good as madden if not better but yet its still getting ignored.

Though i think this year the tide is gonna change a bit more then last year.

Its like you have two Pro Players here. One that misses practice alot and is only intrested in getting the ball on game day "Madden" and gets all the glamor and popularity and then we got this other Player that hustles his butt of during practice each day during the week and gives his 110% during game day and yet doesnt get noticed even though he produces "ESPN"

It's just Like DH and Leon in Playmakers...lol...but like i have been doing since 95, i will sadly buy Madden in hopes that it will return to its glory days, but i know better. And if NCAA 2005 is any indication...im in trouble.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #5

OVR: 34

And you know what is interesting, Sega has always had this problem. Remember the Saturn and Playstation. The Saturn was actually a better system. Yes even the Dreamcast...the system that started it all with online play and gave rebirth to Sega's NFL Franchise. But still, the Playstation still outsold it. These things are very interesting to me. It indeed shows how so many follow instead of make up their mind for themselves. Very interesting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

People buy Madden to fit in the crowd. They feel cool for having Madden in there collection. IMO Madden plays the same as it always has. It's just boring compared to ESPN. I've out grown Madden's childish gameplay simple as that. ESPN looks like what I see on TV. The AI in Madden is brain dead and the come back code ruins the game completely IMO. ESPN is the true sim.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

Its kind of hard to dethrone a game thats been out for 15+ years. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out and thats not even close to a riddle because a monkey could figure that out.

Riddle me this....

What do you call a person who plays Madden but doesn't pick up ESPN NFL 2K5 even though all the reviewers give it a better score than Madden2005 and it cost $20 less?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:00 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:

sportsgeist said:

Riddle me this....

What do you call a person who plays Madden but doesn't pick up ESPN NFL 2K5 even though all the reviewers give it a better score than Madden2005 and it cost $20 less?

Someone who doesn't have access to OS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »