Home

today gamestop clerk.....

This is a discussion on today gamestop clerk..... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2004, 01:07 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
today gamestop clerk.....

wouldnt take no for an answer. I was paying for espn with a $20 store credit amd she kept tryin to make me put it towards madden. When i repeatedly said no thanks (i plan on getting madden just not right now, gonna go with the $20 bargain for now) she then said i should at least put $5 on madden then put the rest on espn. I again said no thanks then she says, "Well if you want madden i would suggest you preorder it." I know my damn video games. I dont really care cause i know what i want, and not putting madden down, i just dont have the money to pay for it as of right now, i would rather just take the $20 game that might/will be just as good. IMO the stor shouldnt pressure people into buying something else. If they try and make you buy more stuff thats one thing but not something completly different than what they wanted. just my 2 cents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: today gamestop clerk.....

more pre-orders they get, more cash for them

madden is a cash cow...how can you blame them
Old 07-18-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

I hear you man. The stores around here do the same. Here's an example, My gamestop online order was messed up, so I had to go to EB and re-preorder my copy. So I go today and get this... They didn't even have the sku number in the system!!! That means that not 1 person has preordered a copy in that store! (and this is Miami, big city). When I asked the guy he didn't sound surprised that it wasn't selling, so I told him "for $20 you would think the Madden junkies would at least give it a shot." He gave me a smirk and said yeah.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:15 AM   #4
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

bubbachuck said:
wouldnt take no for an answer. I was paying for espn with a $20 store credit amd she kept tryin to make me put it towards madden. When i repeatedly said no thanks (i plan on getting madden just not right now, gonna go with the $20 bargain for now) she then said i should at least put $5 on madden then put the rest on espn. I again said no thanks then she says, "Well if you want madden i would suggest you preorder it." I know my damn video games. I dont really care cause i know what i want, and not putting madden down, i just dont have the money to pay for it as of right now, i would rather just take the $20 game that might/will be just as good. IMO the stor shouldnt pressure people into buying something else. If they try and make you buy more stuff thats one thing but not something completly different than what they wanted. just my 2 cents.

Thats interesting. It almost sounds like the clerk was intstructed to "encourage" madden or maybe even a list of games that includes madden. hmmm...
You know i doubt it , but its not impossible. It also makes sense that the gamestop would stand to earn more on a sold madden unit (although i have no idea if logic matches the real world in this case).
Also possibly more likely - Maybe she genuinly likes madden , - had good experience w/ madden in the past and maybe something like her Bro. or B.F. always gets madden and has a lot of fun with it ? Thats possible too , I think prior to my experience with 2k3 that my honest advice would have been to go with Madden , because back then i thought it was the better product. - A lot of people haven't tried the 2k3 series yet...

either way , thats crazy when the store can get a little "too helpful"
Old 07-18-2004, 01:32 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:

newsguy said:
I hear you man. The stores around here do the same. Here's an example, My gamestop online order was messed up, so I had to go to EB and re-preorder my copy. So I go today and get this... They didn't even have the sku number in the system!!! That means that not 1 person has preordered a copy in that store! (and this is Miami, big city). When I asked the guy he didn't sound surprised that it wasn't selling, so I told him "for $20 you would think the Madden junkies would at least give it a shot." He gave me a smirk and said yeah.

When that store made up that story about not having the SKU for ESPN2k5 I would've said "well I'm taking my money to a store that does have it and I will not be shopping at your store anymore".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2004, 01:45 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

yea, I woulda got out of there with the quickness after hearing that. lol
Old 07-18-2004, 02:16 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

They didn't even have the sku number in the system!!! That means that not 1 person has preordered a copy in that store! (and this is Miami, big city).

He's lying to you.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:15 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 6

That's seems to be true, that they're instructed to push certain titles. When I went to order ESPN, the lone guy working at my local EB talked with me a little about the different football games. It started out with me just playing the NCAA demo and chatting about it, then he was the one who asked me if I'd heard anything about ESPN NFL 2K5 and all the cool features it has. He said they've been told to push Madden, but he's always been an ESPN fan.

Maybe they have some sort of incentive program in place to get employees to push titles....dunno. Don't really blame the employees, though...it can get annoying when they badger you, but I've spent my share of time in the retail and restaurant industries. Suggestive selling is a big part of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »