Home

Tips for people new to the NFL 2K series.

This is a discussion on Tips for people new to the NFL 2K series. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2004, 10:26 PM   #17
Pro

Shamrock_11's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Tips for people new to the NFL 2K series.

Quote:

southpaww said:
Hey guys, here is a website that explains ESPN for new players...

07/19/2004 - 11 Things For New, First-Time ESPN Players To Keep In Mind

That's excellent southpaww. Every one who is new to NFL 2K series should read that....maybe even print it off and sit it next to them when they begin playing.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:00 AM   #18
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

I cant give out all my best tips yet

but there are certain things that you want to get used to. Of course this year could be a little different but it has been important to get very comfortable with the turbo and powerup approach to running and tackling. Its different from Madden, and the timing takes a little getting used to.

In fact the timing has always been important in the 2k series - you want to have your player ready to make a full powered move (powered up and ready to hit the appropriate move button) at the right moment.

there are occasional times when you just need to to quickly tap the running button such as if you have the faster player and you are racing to the sideline , but most of the time (in past 2k games) you will be at least partially if not fully powering up.

Take advantage of the practice modes - both the teaching/drills one , and the one that just has you running around the field by yourself with 1 other guy. - get comfortable with the turbo and powerup technique in these modes. Once you begin to pass the tests and get comfortable, I recommend making little mini-games up that go beyond the challenge of the drill to reach your full skill level.
For example in the solitary practice moves mode , work on doing slaloms and agility drills such as figure 8s between yard markers , or in the defensive swat ball drill - try to get some sacks - try to play deeper then the reciever or underneath ...
almost every drill can be made tougher on your own using imagination..

Find a playbook you like and get comfortable with it. Take the playbook into practice mode and perfect a number of plays. You should master a few and gradually add to that total every once in a while. Once you have the timing and understanding of the play in your mind it is a lot easier to play the way that you want to.

Listen to the advice on the drop backs (90=3steps 50=5 steps) as well as learn to read the plays by name. Know who the x reciever on your team is etc... Once you know how to read the plays you will be able to understand the playbook and you will be able to find the play that you need even if you haven't practiced it , simply because you understand the playbook jargon.

thats a decent start to what could be a forever post^
Old 07-20-2004, 01:31 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:

southpaww said:
Hey guys, here is a website that explains ESPN for new players...

07/19/2004 - 11 Things For New, First-Time ESPN Players To Keep In Mind

That reference is the most comprehensive, yet simple list of what is different about the two games -- and what makes ESPN the better title. I'm passing that along to all the Maddenites I find.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

in that persons article he states

You may have “OWNED” for years at Madden. This is something completely different. Don’t assume you’ll be lighting up the scoreboards to the tune of 58 to 14 every game. Its not gonna happen. The AI adjusts more to what you do, and reads your tendencies. Oh.. and regarding dropping back more than 5 to 8 yards- better learn to lose that habit right quick. The OLBs and DE’s pursuit can be devastating, and you’ll be sacked. Alot. Keep an open mind, enjoy the game, and learn its fineries.

but the truth is that Madden has upped their "D" ai and i expect you will see no more 60-7 games. Before anybody start to jump on me im not starting an arguement just stating the fact that Madden has focused on defense this year.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:06 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:

Frylock said:
in that persons article he states

You may have “OWNED” for years at Madden. This is something completely different. Don’t assume you’ll be lighting up the scoreboards to the tune of 58 to 14 every game. Its not gonna happen. The AI adjusts more to what you do, and reads your tendencies. Oh.. and regarding dropping back more than 5 to 8 yards- better learn to lose that habit right quick. The OLBs and DE’s pursuit can be devastating, and you’ll be sacked. Alot. Keep an open mind, enjoy the game, and learn its fineries.

but the truth is that Madden has upped their "D" ai and i expect you will see no more 60-7 games. Before anybody start to jump on me im not starting an arguement just stating the fact that Madden has focused on defense this year.

*gets into tiger postition ready to pounce*

all that is promises by EA folk, they havent showed it in video or in the game(since we havent played it) yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2004, 02:13 AM   #22
Banned

phattastic76's Arena

OVR: 4

I remember the naming conventions on the plays being much more realistic than just Dive Right, or Wham.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:34 AM   #23
All Star

OVR: 19

Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:44 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'd have to play it to believe it.

Simply b/c you enhance the AI and make the players smarter does not necessarily make it more realistic .

for example, EA says they fixed the running game (again) by fixing blocking AI; however, the linemen's AI was just fine in 04'! The real and only issue hindering the running game was the intentional grossly underrated speeds EA gave linemen in an effort to make WR's, DB's, and other "highlight reel" players look even better.

another is the ever notorious "DB AI". DB AI was much improved in 04' (not perfect, but actually damn good). So, if it was so improved, then why were the "smarter" DB's of 04' still getting bruned? Because the QB's were amazingly accurate! No matter how deep the dropback, how off a running foot he was, or how long the bomb, the pass was always right on point. Also thank this to route-based-passing as well. If the QB's and route were fixed, then all of the DB AI improvements may really come out.

making players ultra-intelligent won't result in ultra-realism. good knowledge of the engine's capability and tons of kick [censored] animaiton work make it better. Animaitons is another thing EA desperately needs to address (and it means more than the hit stick too )

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »