Home

Electronic Gaming Rates Madden Over ESPN

This is a discussion on Electronic Gaming Rates Madden Over ESPN within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #9
No end in sight...

OVR: 20
Re: Electronic Gaming Rates Madden Over ESPN

personlly im excited about both...im buying both whether every site prefers espn or vice versa. two very good games and the competetion will only make the games better in the future
Old 07-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

you know I've never quite seen the allure of ESPN's graphics over Madden. To me madden's players look more in proportion (and smoother) than ESPN's. As far as ESPN not getting it's due from alot of gamers out there, I would have to agree with you. But when it comes to reviews from publications such as EGM the ESPN games are always given respect. In fact I've read a good # of reviews (on websites and other mags) in the past where they gave it the nod over Madden
Old 07-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Someone typed the entire interview at IGN:

Bryan: We've got two Pro Bowlers here, definetly. Madden scores big points for its near-flawless gameplay and the brutally accurate representation of the NFL, but ESPN stays right in it with features such as the new Virtual Identity Profile(VIP) and robust online leagues.

Patrick: Yeah, VIP is one of the coolest features I've seen for a sports game. It tracks just about every gameplay tendency (how many times you blitz, run to the right, etc). Plus, you can download other VIP's and then go against an A.I. opponent that plays with that persons style-genius!

Official PS Mag-Chris B: Same here on VIP, but the thing is.....Madden just plays better than ESPN. There, I said it.

Bryan: No Chris-it plays a lot better. And I'm not just talking about the improved defensive play (especially in the secondary) and, with a quick tap on the new Hit Stick, the bone-jarring tackles. It's how Madden replicates the style of play of actual NFL squads. When you're matched up Indy, for example, quarterback Peyton Manning continually calls audibles at the line - just like he does every Sunday. In ESPN, you won't find that level of authenticity on the field.

Chris B: But do you get Jackass' Steve-O taunting you whenever you call an audible against his team, now that ESPN has added a few celebrity-coached squads. Who doesn't want that?

Bryan: Most football fans.

Chris B: Actually, I think playing against the new celeb teams has a certain charm- and showcases the VIP feature, with Steve-O always going for two, just like I bet he would if I were really playing him. The smack talk does get annoying, though. At least David Arquette doesn't try to pitch 1-800-CALL-ATT.

Patrick: What about Madden's new look? I'm really digging how the stadium lighting changes with the time of day, and the players-from body sizes to the number of wristbands they wear-are spot on.

Bryan: ESPN doesn't look too shabby, either, but the player models are a bit stretched out and lack some of the finer details(not in the faces, but everywhere else) you'll find in Madden.

Chris B: Still, ESPN holds a slight edge in overall presentation. The overlays feel more TV-like, featuring cool graphics that show stats like ball distribution. But Madden is a better-looking game when in motion, even when it comes to ball physics. Bryan, you seemed to drop a lot of passes whenever we played ESPN-dunno if your receivers sucked or if it was just you. I'll admit there were some funny bounces, though.

Bryan: I hear you. Too many wideouts with stone hands, erratic passes, and a running game that's still a bit too generous keep ESPN behind Madden on the depth chart.

Patrick: C'mon Bryan. Receivers do drop balls in the NFL, and not all quarterbacks have Troy Aikmen-like accuracy with every pass. And those problems you mention aren't as prevalent as in years past.

Bryan: Obviously it happens in the NFL, but not as much as it does in this game (and when you're that wide open). These guys are supposed to be pros.

Chris B: OK, boys, let's move onto something else-franchise modes. I still find Madden's quite deep, but I woudn't shed a tear if talking head Tony Bruno got axed next season-the all-new weekly ramblings of him and his guests are so generic that, for the most part, you realize just how generic cliche-ridden sports talk radio is these days.

Patrick: I resent that, Chris. Sure, Bruno is kind of annoying, but the ability to monitor player morale via the radio show expands the experience for football junkies who truly want to immerse themselves in the NFL.

Bryan: It's a shame that Bruno and company don't spout more off-the-cuff remarks. But the uptight NFL bigwigs would never allow that, would they?

Patrick: If the No Fun League doesn't want Joe Horn stashing celebratory cell phones in various areas of the playing field, your "off the cuff" hopes are a no go.

Bryan: ESPN's franchise mode is much improved, but I'm not entirely sold on it's new addition, Weekly Prep, either. Allocating time before the big game for practices, weight training, and even motivational speeches is great in theory, but not when it takes the form of an almost never-ending list of menus. Gotta say I prefer the training drills in Madden....

Chris B: My thoughts exactly. A lot of potential is missed in Weekly Prep. Meanwhile, the drills in Madden have always been fun, but EA should work them into the regular season-that would rock.

Bryan: So even though ESPN rings up at a shockingly wallet-friendly $20, would you rather stump up $50 for Madden?

Patrick: Yes. It's gameplay that keeps you coming back, and Madden is the king of that department.

Chris B: Yep. I think a casual football gamer who wants to play a game for a week or so will be perfectly content with ESPN. It may well be the best $20 game ever. But hardcore players(or rich people) who don't think twice about spending $50 on the best should definetly spring for Madden.

Bryan: Agreed. And if you're ultra hardcore, fork over another $10 for the PS2-only Collector's Edition, which includes making-of documentaries(snore) and tweaked versions of Madden 93, 97, and 99 with present day rosters(snore!)...I'm on that like a linemen on a free buffet.

Un-believable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 11:18 AM   #12
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

jm2smooth said
Quote:

ou know I've never quite seen the allure of ESPN's graphics over Madden. To me madden's players look more in proportion (and smoother) than ESPN's

your kidding right
Old 07-19-2004, 11:32 AM   #13
PSU
Banned

PSU's Arena

OVR: 9

u guys all got to relax, just cuz madden is getting better reviews doesnt mean that all these reviewers suck, damn everytime someone comes up wit a new review all i hear from sega people is that mag or website sucks and they have no credibility. imo i find nothing wrong wit these reviews ive been playing since 2k1 and i still love this game, but i also play madden and can see the things that draw people to madden over espn. so my point is who gives a damn what people write about this game!!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:37 AM   #14
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

We'll all see- come Wednesday.
I'll tell you what- one thing I do know- if Madden on XBOX is on a "par" with the quality of NCAA on XBOX this year, its CONVERSION time for many former Madden fans.

We'll see. I know for my part- from working for two football websites in the past (who got free review copies)- I can tell you one thing- There's alot of "unspoken" pressure to give a company (who's handing you free games) -a good review. EA is VERY generous to reviewers that pimp their products, but give them a avearage and/or "so-so" review, and you'll see that "generosity" well dry up right quick. And in fairness, its not just EB.

I got one site I did reviews for totally SHUT OFF for 989 Sports review copies from Sony. (I know, I know.. no loss there!) I even had their PR chick (Carrie) sending me nasty email after reading my review of GameDay 2004!) Now, that is a worst-case example, usually they are just SILENT about never wanting to send you a review copy again after a "lesser" review- you just won't be sent anything next time!)

But that's quite often how it works- at least for the independent sites or the smaller ones. (They obviously won't bogard GAMESPOT of review copies, or IGN.. the big boys).

Electronic Gaming's sports focus is highly suspect anyway. That rag has always far more into the latest RPG import from Japan than it is the realism of a football sim. But I'll reserve judgement. Heck, for years- they often started their reviews off with the sentence:

"I normally am not into sports games, but..."
"For a sports game, this one is..."

I mean, if you start off your sports reviews like that- there's something wrong. And I know Electronic Gaming used to do just that. (I haven't read it lately though.) EGM always seems to have a pro-arcade/action slant on everything. So I don't know. I've often said I wish EGM would just relocate to Japan, cover nothing but anime'/Rpgs and fighting games, and be done with it.

But we will all find out soon enough just how "bad" or "good" ESPN is, and wheter or not these jokers are on the take.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #15
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

PSU said
Quote:

u guys all got to relax, just cuz madden is getting better reviews doesnt mean that all these reviewers suck, damn everytime someone comes up wit a new review all i hear from sega people is that mag or website sucks and they have no credibility. imo i find nothing wrong wit these reviews ive been playing since 2k1 and i still love this game, but i also play madden and can see the things that draw people to madden over espn. so my point is who gives a damn what people write about this game!!

DUDE Egm is the only review out on both MAdden and ESPN, so don't say Madden is getting better (REVIEWS) reviews means more then one, and EGM is the only game to review Madden, so keep it real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #16
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

I know I've been on this review already, but I tried to take another look at it again - just so I could be sure that I'm being fair to these reviewers. Reading it again, I noticed a couple of things:

1. There is not ONE single negative comment about Madden. Yeah, they blast Tony Bruno. But that's Tony Bruno, not his implementation in the game. Anything close to negative they mention even related to Madden, they either blame the NFL or they follow it up with something positive.

2. They never mention any of the other cool new touches to ESPN and any aspect that COULD be positive with ESPN, they follow it up with a negative - leaving you down on a good feature of the game. It's funny how they complain about the sea of menus in Weekly Prep when Owner's Mode was the same deal. And we all know that VC is just getting started with this mode.

The bottomline is that I just don't see how anyone can view this review as an honestly impartial review. After reading this review, you come away feeling angry at ESPN. That's not right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »