Home

Our ESPN NFL 2K5 Review

This is a discussion on Our ESPN NFL 2K5 Review within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Our ESPN NFL 2K5 Review

I for one and disappointed by OS's review. I'm not angry with the purchase or anything (c'mon, it's $20), but I feel that they gave a flawed game a perfect score that it didn't deserve.

My main problem is with, once again, the franchise mode. Madden has set the bar so high in this regard that it's not suprising to see VC come up short, but they really needed to improve on some very key areas. In particular, player development which doesn't seem to be effected at all by a players' actual NFL performance, and to a lesser extent, trading AI, which is severely flawed.

The bells and whisles are nice and the highlights are very cool, although it becomes obvious after a few episodes of sports center that they've just got a number of highlights they use over and over again.

I really love the game, but I notice that OS hasn't been putting enough weight into the franchise aspects in their reviews. The gameplay may be the core of the product, but for many gamers, the franchise mode is what keeps us coming back.

I'm glad the game wasn't $50 as OS' review really had me hyped for it, and I would have spent $50 on it had it been that price.

I'm sure I wouldn't have been angry or anything, but I would have felt that the review OS gave for this game was slightly misleading and contributed a factor in me wasting my money.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #58
Legend

Shaver's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

ololo3 said:
I for one and disappointed by OS's review. I'm not angry with the purchase or anything (c'mon, it's $20), but I feel that they gave a flawed game a perfect score that it didn't deserve.

My main problem is with, once again, the franchise mode. Madden has set the bar so high in this regard that it's not suprising to see VC come up short, but they really needed to improve on some very key areas. In particular, player development which doesn't seem to be effected at all by a players' actual NFL performance, and to a lesser extent, trading AI, which is severely flawed.

The bells and whisles are nice and the highlights are very cool, although it becomes obvious after a few episodes of sports center that they've just got a number of highlights they use over and over again.

I really love the game, but I notice that OS hasn't been putting enough weight into the franchise aspects in their reviews. The gameplay may be the core of the product, but for many gamers, the franchise mode is what keeps us coming back.

I'm glad the game wasn't $50 as OS' review really had me hyped for it, and I would have spent $50 on it had it been that price.

I'm sure I wouldn't have been angry or anything, but I would have felt that the review OS gave for this game was slightly misleading and contributed a factor in me wasting my money.

Let me ask you a question...

You say that the franchise and its depth are VERY important to you.

Steve's review didn't touch on subjects like player progression and other topics that would indicate the depth of franchise.

So...if you bought the game (at $20 or $50) it clearly was not influenced by the OS review, correct? I mean, how could it be?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:

Clay_OS said:
Quote:

EASegaRule said:
So much for the free expression of ideas and opinions. Sheesh.

Remember that it's a two way street, Fella. Why can't people express their opinions and ideas about yours? You said buggy....someone said not buggy....you said guess I can't state my opinion.

Sack up.

First of all, "fella", what does 'sack up' mean?

Is it standard operating procedure here for someone to post their opinion only to be told to "Go away", "Sell your game", or different variations of "You're making stuff up, you're a fanboy of <insert competitor>". That's free speech, I guess, but a rather infantile version of it. Did I attack anyone for saying the game wasn't buggy regardless of how ridiculous that statement is? There's an entire OS-sponsored thread of tons and tons of them.

Was it too much to expect a sports gaming site to put a lot more time into a game before posting a review? Especially after the debacle with the MVP review?

This will never happen, but I think in an ideal world every other year in a sports franchise would be a roster update/bug fix, and it would cost 19 bucks. The problem with ESPN 2K5 is that it's not 2K4 with all the bugs fixed. It's introduced a whole new slew of bugs.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 18

I think your opinion has a bug. To sit there with a straight face (or starched fingers) and attempt to imply that 2k5 is a step backward from 2k4 is utterly rediculous. You show an unwarranted dislike for the game that can only mean one thing (you have a bond with madden). The most talked about bug is the trades in franchise, well, I don't think it is a bug. I think that is the way ESPN intended the game to play (blockbuster trades) it is just that some gamers don't like it, to each his own. The review that Steve gave the game was spot on, it is an excellent game, most people think so. What you keep squaking about may not be bugs, just your slanted opinion not to appreciate a good game with shortcomings. The question is, is 2k5 one of if not the best playing football game to date, with everything considered. If you apply that question to the review, then you will see that in the opinion of most the game lived up to its billing and the review.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:

EASegaRule said:
Well, after 5 days with the game, I can say without conviction that I wished OS would hold off on being one of the first to review a game just to be the first. Much like with the review for MVP, ESPN 2K5 is vastly overrated (unless your rating is based solely on the game only costing 20 bucks). I'm sick of the bugs, sick of the lousy franchise mode, and sick to death of the dropped online games. Not to mention the horrible framerate in bad weather/night games. 20 bucks is still 20 bucks, and I don't think a game as buggy as this is worth a nickel.

Your one of VERY few that thinks this way about ESPN - hmm do the math bro.

ESPN ROCKS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:

NovaStar said:
I think your opinion has a bug. To sit there with a straight face (or starched fingers) and attempt to imply that 2k5 is a step backward from 2k4 is utterly rediculous. You show an warranted dislike for the game that can only mean one thing. The most talked about bug is the trades in franchise, well, I don't think it is a bug. I think that is the way ESPN intended the game to play (blockbuster trades) it is just that some gamers don't like it, to each his own. The review that Steve gave the game was spot on, it is an excellent game, most people think so. What you keep squaking about may or may not be bugs, just your slanted opinion to appreciate a good game with shortcomings. The question is, is 2k5 one of if not the best playing football game to date, with everything considered. The the review base on the outcome of that question (also see the poll).

I'd respond to you, but honestly, I have honestly no idea what you said.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #63
Banned

what you see as a problem, may not be a problem in the first place...2k5 is splendid...you either like it or you like madden...no two ways about it
Old 07-26-2004, 03:44 PM   #64
Banned

Yeah, I gave myself a headache trying to read that one. Simply put. The review Steve gave the game was spot on in my opinion, if you weigh the totality of the game, would you say that 2k5 is one of if not the best playing football game that you have played to date (not a question just for you but for anyone else)If the answer to that question is yes, then the review Steve gave is dead on.

You seem to have an unwarranted dislike for the game, (you imply that 2k5 is a step backwards compared to 2k4) which makes your opinion bugged, for an unbiased opinion is bug free.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »