Home

Unofficial Tips Thread (For guys who suck......like me)

This is a discussion on Unofficial Tips Thread (For guys who suck......like me) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #9
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Unofficial Tips Thread (For guys who suck......like me)

Quote:

CheckMate said:
As far as passing goes, 50= 5 step drop, 90= 3 step drop. I let the CPU dropback for me so I can read the coverage. I just started using the pumpfake last night, it helps a lot.

Hey CheckMate, Did you get any D Holding calls when you pumped fake...I did twice in a game when i used it. It was usually a LB, and i went back or they went back to the replay and sure enough...they were holding
Old 07-22-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
Tebow is Chuck Norris

OVR: 18

1. Reading Defense---

a: what should be done when you see defenders set up for blitz, who should you hot route? If you know a defender is blitzing - make sure that you are in a 3 step drop passing formation, hot route streak that WR if covered by a LB or a crappy DB.

b: What to do if CBs set up for bump-n-run coverage? Hot route your TE and Backs so that they block to give you more pass protection - hot route a WR and you should be able to get him on the fly if you have enough time in the pocket for the streak route to develop.

c: What to do if LBs set up to the outside or inside, who should you hotroute or move in motion? Usually a LB sets up to the inside if they think you are either running up the gut or passing across the middle (usually to a TE). If they are on the outside run up the gut or pass up the middle.

2. Drop backs
a: what are the play names for dropbacks. (ie: 50, 90, etc.) Read the "in-game" manual and Jargon guide - it talks about all of this in detail.
b: do you usually pay attention to the dropback or the reciever when attempting a pass? Of course - try the basic training mode - there is a section in it that talks about the drop back and when to throw the ball.
c: which audible to use if defense is blitzing, playing you deep, etc. Which dropback is reccomended? All depends on who what where.

3. Passing
a: tips for maximum passing - Tip - use it only if you need to use it - also press a direction immediately after throwing - not before.
b: whats the required amount of time to stay in the pocket before scrambling or throwing away? - As long as you have - but if you are in the pocket and "throw it away" you will get a flag for intentional grounding, so if you have to throw it away leave the pocket first.
c: how often should you lead recievers? I do it almost every pass.
d: tips for hotrouting - If the defenders are playing off do a short hook route.

4. Running
a: which moves are reccomended for finess or pwer backs and can you alternate between the 2? Finesse use Spin and Juke and Dive alot.
b: does playing the game speed on slow help for noobs? Just helps slow everything down so you can hit your holes better, pass to WRs better etc.
c: which is better, tapping the speed burst or charging up and which plays work better with ethier? (ie: inside plays=charge, outside plays=speed burst) Tapping is better most of the time - Charging it up is good if you need to get a super stiff arm or spin move.
d: running tips - Follow your blockers and always try to move forward.

5. Playing D
a: how often should the straft be used. If you are using a LB I usually always use it, If you are playing as a DB it depends on if you are in man or zone - if zone probably use it more.
b: tips on tackling - Hold X to wrap tackle, tap X to hit tackle.
c: tips on playing as a DT - Mix it up, don't use 1 type of move too often.
d: tips on playing as a DB or LB - Don't let any WRs get open or the CPU will hit em.
e: how do you hotroute on D (player or unit)

6. Playcalling
a: what benefit do you get from using packages? - Knowing what package is what helps you determine your personnel and make a good play call. In other words, if you have a crappy line and crappy TEs, you probably don't want to Use I-Form Tight for running.
b: what plays are reccomended for short or long plays - I form Jumbo (Jokers I think) Long Plays Hail Mary
c: playcalling tips - Keep it mixed up, don't always run on first down etc. If you are too predictable the opponent has half of his job done for him.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #11
MVP

rock85's Arena

OVR: 17

Also a little tip when your on offense and it's a pass play send one of your receivers in motion and if the Db on him follows him they are playing man coverage if he doesn't they are playing zone
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #12
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

Nice job Bdp115 i will try to add on to this my additions will have an XxX next to them and a space afterwards

1. Reading Defense---
a: what should be done when you see defenders set up for blitz, who should you hot route?
-Depends on who is blitzing..usually hot route the slot to a streak or an outside slant
XxX- might pass to the vacated area (hotrouting the nearest reciever) or maybe audible to a play if i do not have any short routes you will need a short "dump off" route for a quick release if necessaryXxX

b: What to do if CBs set up for bump-n-run coverage?
-Motion

c: What to do if LBs set up to the outside or inside, who should you hotroute or move in motion?
-running or passing? Run inside and they are stacking the middle? Audible. Pass depends on where the LBs are and if they are blizting playing man or in zone....attack the area they leave basically.

2. Drop backs
a: what are the play names for dropbacks. (ie: 50, 90, etc.)
- 90 x lob for example is a 3 step drop..

XxX - to add to this - the recievers are named X and Y , the slot reciever is Z , the Halfback=H , F=fullback, TE=tightend of course , so bdp115s 90xlob is a 3step drop and a lob to the reciever.XxX

b: do you usually pay attention to the dropback or the reciever when attempting a pass?
-both
XxX both , and depends on the play - a qb bootleg has you watching the line/blitz , more so then a quick slant which has you watching the reciever all the way, on a deep pass you might look back and forth a few timesXxX

c: which audible to use if defense is blitzing, playing you deep, etc. Which dropback is reccomended?
-blitzing you want to get it out as fast as possible, 3 step drop. If they are playing deep and have everyone covered if it's man you can wait until someone breaks free if you have the time. If they are in zone, run it or throw it away. Don't force it.

3. Passing
a: tips for maximum passing
-Gentle leads work better than hard pushes of the stick
XxX- read it and use timing to get the ball out at the time when the reciever gets the most spaceXxX

b: whats the required amount of time to stay in the pocket before scrambling or throwing away?
-Usually 3 to 4 seconds..but only scramble and throw away if the pocket is collapsing. If you have all day to throw, use it.

c: how often should you lead recievers?
-Hard to say. Usually I always lead them 'slightly'..depends on the route and the CB.

XxX- the goal is to complete the pass, so you want to get the reciever the ball quickly when he is open , or you may lead him if he seems to be breaking open to an open area and the defender is on a particular side of himXxX

d: tips for hotrouting
-hot route for a fly in single coverage, with no safty help, or hot route to the area where the LB will leave empty

4. Running
a: which moves are reccomended for finess or pwer backs and can you alternate between the 2?
-In this game it really depends on the back. Some backs are a bit of both. Backs like Bettis are all power so lower the shoulder, use stiff arms and don't bother with spins. Scat backs use the juke, stutter step, etc.

b: does playing the game speed on slow help for noobs?
-I keep it on normal.
XxX- practice on what ever speed you plan on playing , slow sort of slows it down , but so does knowing the play. you don't want it to mess u up and make normal seem too fast XxX

c: which is better, tapping the speed burst or charging up and which plays work better with ethier? (ie: inside plays=charge, outside plays=speed burst)
-Don't fire off the line on a run speeding and out running your blockers. I usually let the play develop, charge up some and use a juke, stiff arm, shoulder charge or spin...when I'm in the open, I start tapping.

d: running tips
-follow the play and follow your blockers. Don't pound on A as soon as you get the ball.

5. Playing D
a: how often should the straft be used.
- usually when I'm a LB covering a run or a safty helping on pass coverage
XxX- i use it to help slow down when the ball is comming near me. , if i have to run all out just to get to where the ball is going then i will not use it. It can also help to prevent getting juked or spun if you happen to keep over running the running backsXxX

b: tips on tackling
- square up.
XxX and after you hit em' with 1 guy , quickly switch to a 2nd defender to pile up, the more times u hit the runner the betterXxX

c: tips on playing as a DT
-get around your man and try to stay in front of the back on a run

d: tips on playing as a DB or LB
-I let the CPU play DB and I pick either a blitzing LB or if they are in Zone, play the Zone.
XxX- know what your skill level is and what you are able to do , and know your defenders job for the playXxX

e: how do you hotroute on D (player or unit)
- Depends...sometimes you want all out bump and run or to stack the box, sometimes you want to double or jam that hot WR who is torching you.

6. Playcalling
a: what benefit do you get from using packages?
-I tend not to.
XxX- depending on your team's talent and players you may want to use a reciever instead of a tight end , or vice versa , u can get the big guys in for a power play and the fast guys in for a finesse play XxX

b: what plays are reccomended for short or long plays
-Depends on the strength of the team

c: Playcalling tips

Old 07-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #13
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Bump.

Does anybody know of any website, or have any in-depth tips to reading a defense before the snap. I can good on All-Pro with the Redskins, but I can't pass to save my life.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:01 AM   #14
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

ActLikeYouKnow8 said:
Bump.

Does anybody know of any website, or have any in-depth tips to reading a defense before the snap. I can good on All-Pro with the Redskins, but I can't pass to save my life.

i could start and i am sure some of the vets know some other info (if they will share some of those secrets)

ok , u go up to the line of scrimmage

STEP1). identify the FORMATION/PERSONEL of the D.
- simple way is counting linebackers
*FOUR Linebackers(and 3lineman)indicates a 3-4 defense which can be tough against outside runs but u might be able to get one of the 4 linebackers to try to cover a reciever,)
*THREE Linebackers is a normal balanced D, 2 linebackers )
*TWO Linebackers is a nickle defense- there are 5 Defensive Backs and it is strong vs pass
*ONE Linebacker is a dime defense - 6 DBs very much a pass defense
You notice they are in a nickle defense - maybe a power play will work well if it fits the situation
or vise versa u see them in a 3-4 defense - maybe you audible to run up the middle or that play that splits your tightend(if u have a good TE) out wide or sends your running back out for a good pass pattern , etc..

STEP2) Try to Determine if you are facing a MAN OR ZONE
*send a guy in motion if your not sure- (man will chase zone will not)
* Concentrate on the corners and linebackers-the deep safetys may be in zone on man-to-man plays
*some defenses are a mix of man and zone and the motion test can fool u , so be observant
* there is manlock which the defender chases u everywhere and there are also man to man where the defender will stay on his side and if you motion they will simply switch assignments(they may be in man and not move)
using speedouts , crossing patterns etc.. works well vs man2man
sending a bunch of recievers to the same side of the field is called flooding the zone

STEP3) READ THE DEEP HELP
* Are there 2 deep safetys in the middle of the field ? if so they are probably playing COVER2 where at least the 2 safetys will be playing zone with each one covering their half of the deep field. (the rest of the team may still be in man with the safetys playing cover 2 or everyone might be in zone )
* Is there just 1 deep safety and every other defender is pretty much lined up with a receiver?-then that is COVER1- You may be able to get a deep pass on one of the sidelines(wherever the deep safety is not) and you will need to find the other safety and see if he is matched up or creeping up to the line.
* occasionally in heavy run or heavy blitz you may see that there are no deep safetys

STEP4) READING THE BLITZ
*use a couple hard fake 'HUT HUTs' -is anyone creeping up? is he faking or blitzing?(somewhat of a guess)
* man to man defenses tend to blitz much more often then zones which rarely blitz
hotroute to pass to the area vacated by the blitzer or be extra prepared to throw the ball away or dump it to the short option or even roll away from the blitz if you see a blitz...

Ok that is a good start , if you read some of that info at the line it will help you possibly exploit some matchups
Old 07-23-2004, 01:13 AM   #15
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Thanks for the tips. Will be very useful on pass plays pre-snap. Any in-depth tips for passing, like check-downs, when to pass, etc.? I haven't started a franchise yet, I'm trying to figure out how to play this game still. Damn Madden...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 10:09 AM   #16
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Bump-ness. Good tips fellas. Keep em going. I used a few of you guys tips yesterday and it helped me in more way than I can imagine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »