Home

Unofficial Tips Thread (For guys who suck......like me)

This is a discussion on Unofficial Tips Thread (For guys who suck......like me) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Unofficial Tips Thread (For guys who suck......like me)

If anybody would like to help out the less fortunate, can you please list some tips for stratergy or reading defenses or using Maximum passing. Anything. I played 2 games on all-pro and got mopped. So I need the help and I'm sure others will. For instance, here is a list of things I need help on.

1. Reading Defense---
a: what should be done when you see defenders set up for blitz, who should you hot route?
b: What to do if CBs set up for bump-n-run coverage?
c: What to do if LBs set up to the outside or inside, who should you hotroute or move in motion?

2. Drop backs
a: what are the play names for dropbacks. (ie: 50, 90, etc.)
b: do you usually pay attention to the dropback or the reciever when attempting a pass?
c: which audible to use if defense is blitzing, playing you deep, etc. Which dropback is reccomended?

3. Passing
a: tips for maximum passing
b: whats the required amount of time to stay in the pocket before scrambling or throwing away?
c: how often should you lead recievers?
d: tips for hotrouting

4. Running
a: which moves are reccomended for finess or pwer backs and can you alternate between the 2?
b: does playing the game speed on slow help for noobs?
c: which is better, tapping the speed burst or charging up and which plays work better with ethier? (ie: inside plays=charge, outside plays=speed burst)
d: running tips

5. Playing D
a: how often should the straft be used.
b: tips on tackling
c: tips on playing as a DT
d: tips on playing as a DB or LB
e: how do you hotroute on D (player or unit)

6. Playcalling
a: what benefit do you get from using packages?
b: what plays are reccomended for short or long plays
c: playcalling tips

Some of these I know and some of these I dont know, but for the ppl who are trying to convert from Madden, these tips could come in handy. And one thing that I do and I suggest all to do is practice, practice, practice. Its very obvious that this is not a pick up and play game and you need to have a great knowledge on how the game is played so any tips or help will be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 14
Re: Unofficial Tips Thread (For guys who suck......like me)

As far as passing goes, 50= 5 step drop, 90= 3 step drop. I let the CPU dropback for me so I can read the coverage. I just started using the pumpfake last night, it helps a lot.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39

Just a heads up here.

Going to the Extras menu and checking out everything within will answer a whole lot of your questions and concerns.

Kruza
Old 07-22-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
All Star

Quote:

Kruza said:
Just a heads up here.

Going to the Extras menu and checking out everything within will answer a whole lot of your questions and concerns.

Kruza

Old 07-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

CheckMate said:
Quote:

Kruza said:
Just a heads up here.

Kruza

I did that yesterday. I swear I spent at least 2 hours running scrimmages and those practice drills to the point where I did'nt feel like playing the game anymore. I'm just gonna use the tips I learn here as a lil "tip sheet" for me and whoever else I play that is new to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

CheckMate said:
Quote:

Kruza said:
Just a heads up here.

Kruza

That's the thing I love about ESPN. It's like they really want to help you understand football and not just videogame football. The guide in the extras menu is invaluable. Last year it even helped me play NCAA better.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
MVP

Before I played a game I went through the Extras. Offense and Defense 101. Then I went through Manual.. of terms, Jargon ect. ect... Believe me it really helps breaks down football as if you just was introduced to football for the first time.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #8
Rookie

bpd115's Arena

OVR: 3

1. Reading Defense---
a: what should be done when you see defenders set up for blitz, who should you hot route?
-Depends on who is blitzing..usually hot route the slot to a streak or an outside slant

b: What to do if CBs set up for bump-n-run coverage?
-Motion

c: What to do if LBs set up to the outside or inside, who should you hotroute or move in motion?
-running or passing? Run inside and they are stacking the middle? Audible. Pass depends on where the LBs are and if they are blizting playing man or in zone....attack the area they leave basically.

2. Drop backs
a: what are the play names for dropbacks. (ie: 50, 90, etc.)
- 90 x lob for example is a 3 step drop..

b: do you usually pay attention to the dropback or the reciever when attempting a pass?
-both

c: which audible to use if defense is blitzing, playing you deep, etc. Which dropback is reccomended?
-blitzing you want to get it out as fast as possible, 3 step drop. If they are playing deep and have everyone covered if it's man you can wait until someone breaks free if you have the time. If they are in zone, run it or throw it away. Don't force it.

3. Passing
a: tips for maximum passing
-Gentle leads work better than hard pushes of the stick

b: whats the required amount of time to stay in the pocket before scrambling or throwing away?
-Usually 3 to 4 seconds..but only scramble and throw away if the pocket is collapsing. If you have all day to throw, use it.

c: how often should you lead recievers?
-Hard to say. Usually I always lead them 'slightly'..depends on the route and the CB.

d: tips for hotrouting
-hot route for a fly in single coverage, with no safty help, or hot route to the area where the LB will leave empty

4. Running
a: which moves are reccomended for finess or pwer backs and can you alternate between the 2?
-In this game it really depends on the back. Some backs are a bit of both. Backs like Bettis are all power so lower the shoulder, use stiff arms and don't bother with spins. Scat backs use the juke, stutter step, etc.

b: does playing the game speed on slow help for noobs?
-I keep it on normal.

c: which is better, tapping the speed burst or charging up and which plays work better with ethier? (ie: inside plays=charge, outside plays=speed burst)
-Don't fire off the line on a run speeding and out running your blockers. I usually let the play develop, charge up some and use a juke, stiff arm, shoulder charge or spin...when I'm in the open, I start tapping.

d: running tips
-follow the play and follow your blockers. Don't pound on A as soon as you get the ball.

5. Playing D
a: how often should the straft be used.
- usually when I'm a LB covering a run or a safty helping on pass coverage

b: tips on tackling
- square up.

c: tips on playing as a DT
-get around your man and try to stay in front of the back on a run

d: tips on playing as a DB or LB
-I let the CPU play DB and I pick either a blitzing LB or if they are in Zone, play the Zone.

e: how do you hotroute on D (player or unit)
- Depends...sometimes you want all out bump and run or to stack the box, sometimes you want to double or jam that hot WR who is torching you.

6. Playcalling
a: what benefit do you get from using packages?
-I tend not to.

b: what plays are reccomended for short or long plays
-Depends on the strength of the team

c: Playcalling tips

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »