Home

DB AI issues

This is a discussion on DB AI issues within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
DB AI issues

Ok, I have played a few games now, and I can honestly say, that the game has serious issues with their DB AI. Too many times I see completions being made to a WR with a corner draped all over him. But not only the Corner doesn't attempt to knock it down, although he has position, he aldo doesn't attempt to tackle the WR. On the other hand he gets himself out of position by making this huge loop while trying to turn and chase him down. It's AWFUL to say the least. When I mean draped I mean, in his shirt as in could give him a kiss if he wanted to. There is no reason why these types of plays should be made on a regular. Especially on 4th down. That is just rediculous. By the way I play on ALL PRO.

I don't care how bad any corner is, if he's in position to make a play he's going to make the play. Being a bad corner means not being able to be in the best position to make a play, and not I can't react under any circumstances.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: DB AI issues

Quote:

Romano said:
Ok, I have played a few games now, and I can honestly say, that the game has serious issues with their DB AI. Too many times I see completions being made to a WR with a corner draped all over him. But not only the Corner doesn't attempt to knock it down, although he has position, he aldo doesn't attempt to tackle the WR. On the other hand he gets himself out of position by making this huge loop while trying to turn and chase him down. It's AWFUL to say the least. When I mean draped I mean, in his shirt as in could give him a kiss if he wanted to. There is no reason why these types of plays should be made on a regular. Especially on 4th down. That is just rediculous. By the way I play on ALL PRO.

I don't care how bad any corner is, if he's in position to make a play he's going to make the play. Being a bad corner means not being able to be in the best position to make a play, and not I can't react under any circumstances.

I understand where you're coming from, but adjusting sliders really do work. I have the CPU coverage/Pursuit almost maxed out...and let me tell you, I"m getting some pretty darn good football.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 PM   #3
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

I have only played 2-3 exhibition games on all-pro and they seem to be playing d much better than last year's imo. They are in position quite often and they attempt to make plays on the ball much more than before.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:06 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 21

My Brother My Brother, I was just about to make a LONG post on this issue.

For the most part I am very pleased with the game and all the things they have added to the game but THIS ISSUE IMO is becoming UNFORGIVABLE.

I STILL see LB/DB's taking bad angles to balls that are in the air. I see them diving in the opposite direction of where the ball is going. I see them swatting at the ball LONG before the ball gets anywhere near them. Out of all the things in the world that I hoped the most to be fixed was this. Its fortunate that it does not happen all the time, but it happens enough to be an annoyance. I DONT trust my secondary because of it. When you try to take control of your man before the ball gets there, sometimes he will already be in that leaping/swatting animation. Its VERY frustrationg. VC has GOT to fix this/Patch this, something.

Hell, I am even willing to spend another 20 dollars for them to re-release the game with this issue fixed. Its the only thing thats ruining this GREAT game.

If there is some TRICK to making DB's not behave like this or some rating that needs to be adjusted PLEASE let me know.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

people (especially former madden players) might see these slant routes always being completed as a problem. but lemme tell you one thing. they are real.

the reason i say "especially for former madden players" is because in madden/ncaa 2005 you can only do TWO things on offense: either the deep long ball, or run the ball. that, my friends, is not real football. if you watched the season where the raiders made a run for the super bowl, they NEVER threw bombs. everything were 4 or 5 yard passes here and there. all you need is three plays that get at least 3.5 yards a play, and you have yourself a first down. thats why this game is so real. you can use all of your options on offense, not just two like that "other" game.

now let me get to my point. the reason it seems like DBs arent swatting everything that comes in their path isnt a AI issue, its because VC tried to make REAL football where you can get your slants, and your cuts, and your curls. real football. i kind of understand what you are saying, but the only DB problem, which isnt really a "problem", is that i dont have much control of my player, but that will be gone over time once we get 100% used to the game.

thanks,

bruins09
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
MVP

I am not really concerned about how real NFL games relate to Madden or ESPN the video games. I am concerned about when I see my DB standing right next to a WR and he goes diving or jumping the opposite way of the ball and I have no way to make him go where he should go. I might as well be a spectator and not play defense if its ultimately gonna rely on someones interpretation of how often a route should or should not be shut down. It should be based on my play calling, reflexes and stick skills.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:45 PM   #7
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

That was a much better, more composed reply than I expected

Rest assured, the DB-jumping-out-of-the-way animation, or better yet...the DB-doing-a-ballerina-turn-around-interception-on-the-hip-animation-while-the-wide-receiver-catches-it-3-yards-in-front-of-him move still exists, and it's still a problem.

It's no game killer for me, but it's annoying as hell. It's not real football, either. Almost every facet of this game makes my jaw hit the desk. Then a moment like that comes along and makes my forehead hit the wall instead .
Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:

That was a much better, more composed reply than I expected

Rest assured, the DB-jumping-out-of-the-way animation, or better yet...the DB-doing-a-ballerina-turn-around-interception-on-the-hip-animation-while-the-wide-receiver-catches-it-3-yards-in-front-of-him move still exists, and it's still a problem.

It's no game killer for me, but it's annoying as hell. It's not real football, either. Almost every facet of this game makes my jaw hit the desk. Then a moment like that comes along and makes my forehead hit the wall instead .

I 100% co-sign with that thought. I am having fun wiht the game, but when that stuff happens it makes you want to throw your controller out the window.

Do the guys at VC discuss issues like this with any of you mods after the games are released ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »