Home

Player Attributes

This is a discussion on Player Attributes within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Player Attributes

were you playing equal coverage JayBee, for instance did you play McCardell tight with Surtain and him loose with Poole and vice versa. That's makes a big difference....
Old 07-23-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Normal man to man in NICKEL [2MAN]. It was not bump and run and it was not loose coverage. It was the same for both CB's.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:45 PM   #11
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

JayBee74 said:
Hey Tomb, using Heel's sliders I had 85 rated Keenan McCardell up against 93 rated CB Patrick Surtain. McCardell ran a 10 yard post pattern (ISPREAD-Deep Cross)while Surtain played normal man to man in NICKEL 2MAN. Although McCardell was not very sucessful against Surtain (4 completions of 15+ yards in 18 attempts, 65 rated Will Poole had much better INSIDE coverage than Surtain did. Where McCardell was able to occasionally get to the outside of Surtain when he slanted in toward the center of the field, Poole had inside position most of the time and consistently had better coverage than Surtain. KM had 4 catches against Poole, but so what? Poole was the obviously better cover man in this situation. The only plus for Surtain was that he was able to pick off 2 of the passes. I'm baffled. By the way Poole replaced Surtain (I temporarily put Surtain to free agency)on the same team and the exact same play.

That is VERY INTERESTING - for real , i am interested in hearing more from u on any conclusions you might be able to figure out, this is the type of testing that makes it interesting , plus the results could begin to prove invaluable for franchise and online play (if we find what REALLY makes a shutdown cornerback tick)

Here are my thoughts on the subject with a few guesses and some drills that might help figure something out.

other factors could include (don't laugh if i list some phantom ratings i am doing this off memory)speed, agility, acceleration? , hands, jumping etc...

first you want to look to see if Poole is better then Surtain in ANY category and go from there.

also - you mentioned Poole seemed to take the "inside" approach to covering a play that Surtain covered more from the outside. Now this makes me think of another possibility - and this is a guess that Surtain is running what would be considered the "ideal"coverage and that Poole is trying to match this but by luck and coincidence involved here in this particular tested route - where Pool may be actually be starting to get passed up by the reciever but because of good fortune and the way the pattern slants out he is "fading" right into the path of the ball to the inside of the reciever at the correct time and Poole has enough ability to still make a solid play on the ball

so i would check for any ratings that are better, i would consider that Poole happened to be "fading" into the line of fire, i would also run more tests because the results were so interesting(and post them here : )

DRILLS SARGENT JAYBEE

Look for trends , does Poole continue to dominate the inside on all plays (or maybe does he continue to take the better angle?), what about getting burned for scores, interceptions, etc...

try these tests if u feel like it -

a different Pattern - how about an out , a hook or the infamous slant ? ) ,

A different Reciever (try vs Randy Moss)

Here is an additional test if you feel like making 2 create a - teams for the purpose of the test
(try a game game using 2created teams(created for this test) - on 1 team make all the DBS POOLE on the other all DBS SURTAIN play on offense for both teams as the qb(you might want the qbs and reciers to be the same for both teams...) Play a half of no holds barred passing to your recievers for both sides and see what you 0bserve. )

anyways if you do run more tests please post em up , its an interesting topic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 12:06 AM   #12
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

original question

here goes my best explanations from what i have noticed

aggressiveness: tendancy to try to make a play on the ball. A DB for example will follow the reciever like a shadow , a very high aggressiveness would indicate that he would try for an int or risky ball swat more often, players with high aggressiveness are less likely to "play it safe" and it is the opposite of conservativeness. - so it can be good or bad , for a star u would want them to try to make plays , for an average player you might want like a 70-80 aggressiveness so they aren't getting burnt all the time , but u wouldn't want a 30 aggressiveness because they will tend to sit back and watch

Composure: this seems like the "how they react under pressure stat" I don't know if it affects DBs much at all. A reciever double covered or a qb under a close blitz might need composure? It might also affect things like tendancy to get a face mask(not sure on that), I think as long as it isnt like a 30 it doesn't help/hurt a DB much

Consistancy: For a DB this is KEY, the lower the consistency the more often a DB will mess up coverage. Say a DB's coverage is 90 , if they have a 30 consistency there will not be many plays that the DB uses his skills. They kind of take a "penalty" to all their ratings every once in a while and it happens MUCH more often if a guy has a low consistency.

about dbs taking wrong angles and jumping wrong - if it is ratings related it would probably be the agility, coverage,consistency, and aggressiveness kicking in and having problems compared to the abilitys of the reciever. Also a lot happens to be dependant on if the QB and WR sometimes just happen to throw a well placed ball to burn your DB. as a steeler fan i have been seeing my dbs in real life take bad angles, jump at the wrong time , dive in the wrong direction way too often the last several years.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:06 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Interesting follow up MD. Poole is ahead of Surtain in these categories:
Strength- 52-45
Stamina- 94-77
Durabilty 84-73
Catch- 46-39
Old 07-24-2004, 12:14 AM   #14
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

Quote:

JayBee74 said:
Interesting follow up MD. Poole is ahead of Surtain in these categories:
Strength- 52-45
Stamina- 94-77
Durabilty 84-73
Catch- 46-39

hmmmm , the only thing i that stands out there is the stamina wich could POSSIBLY affect deep routes. the play was deep cross , HOWEVER you said it was a 10yard post route which shouldn't call stamina into play(and 77 isn't so bad that surtain would figure to get burned because of that anyway)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »