Home

QB Spy 101

This is a discussion on QB Spy 101 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2004, 10:36 PM   #17
Thread Killa

TecmoBowl's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: QB Spy 101

Okay, some people don't understand what others are saying.

When you are on defense you can hold the white button (Xbox). It zooms out so you can see the defensive assingments. Doing this should not matter to your opponent unless you are playing head-to-head on the same TV. Unless there is some "cheat" A.I. for the CPU as well.

If you select a defender to blitz, when you view the assigments by hitting the white button, you will now see an arrow towards the line of scrimmage, indicating he is blitzing.

But when I select QB spy, the assignment appears to reamain the same. A line going to the bubble/zone assigment or to the man he is matched up on. I would expect some kind of line going to the QB (maybe different colored) indicating my man is now spying the QB.

Now maybe designating a player to QB spy means he is more likely to leave his zone/man to chase the QB as the QB approaches the line of scrimmage. However, without a lot of testing, there is no way to know this at this point. Just cause that player chases a QB after selecting QB spy doesn't mean he is spying, he may just be doing his normal defensive A.I. routine.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:43 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

It starts when you choose the play....

1. Choose a Zone play. Make sure you do not pick any zone play with a Blitz in it.

2. Do not blitz manually either!

3. Hold your LB Adjustment button while choosing the player to spy (most
likely the MLB), and then Tap your QB spy button.

4. Do not Double Team anyone or it will not work!

Then relax and watch your LB shadow the QB.

The LB will not shadow the QB throughout the whole play! The LB have their assignment to attend to. EX: If the running back runs down the middle of the field, the LB will have to pick up the RB or the RB will be open. If the QB tries to run before the Runningback reaches the LB, then the LB will chase him down and take him out!

PS: THere is no indication for the qb spy. The lb will not leave his assignment unless the QB breaks the pocket or breaks containment. I hope this will help you understand it.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 6

i dont like the fact to you have to call an all zone coverage to do it... you should be able to have a QB spy off any play call no matter what.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 PM   #20
Thread Killa

TecmoBowl's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

m12x13adass said:
It starts when you choose the play....

1. Choose a Zone play. Make sure you do not pick any zone play with a Blitz in it.

2. Do not blitz manually either!

3. Hold your LB Adjustment button while choosing the player to spy (most
likely the MLB), and then Tap your QB spy button.

4. Do not Double Team anyone or it will not work!

Then relax and watch your LB shadow the QB.

The LB will not shadow the QB throughout the whole play! The LB have their assignment to attend to. EX: If the running back runs down the middle of the field, the LB will have to pick up the RB or the RB will be open. If the QB tries to run before the Runningback reaches the LB, then the LB will chase him down and take him out!

PS: THere is no indication for the qb spy. The lb will not leave his assignment unless the QB breaks the pocket or breaks containment. I hope this will help you understand it.

I will try that and see if there is a difference.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:52 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:

SportsK1NG said:
i dont like the fact to you have to call an all zone coverage to do it... you should be able to have a QB spy off any play call no matter what.

No. This is how it works in the NFL and this is how it should be implimented. It impossible to spy on the qb in man coverage..that would leave someone wide open.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

m12x13adass said:
Quote:

SportsK1NG said:

No. This is how it works in the NFL and this is how it should be implimented. It impossible to spy on the qb in man coverage..that would leave someone wide open.

No, you can actually have man-to-man with a QB spy and they often do in the NFL, just like they also have some mixed man-to-man and zone coverages. You can have the spy (usually the MLB) in zone with the rest in man coverage.

Each team has 11 players to a side, which means you ALWAYS have the possibility of going man to man with one person solely responsible for the QB. Not only that, but there are 5 OLs and only 3 or 4 DLs which provides you an additional player to spy with as well. Now if you are saying that you always want your Safeties in a Cover-2, then you are correct that you cannot go man-to-man and still have the man power to spy.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:08 AM   #23
Rookie

Yea, You're right. You can man-to-man spy with the MLB in zone coverage. And you've hit the nail when you said you can't spy with the cover 2.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:13 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

Let's just end this debate right now. Go into practice mode and control both teams. You will see that it does not work with any defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »