Home

I seriously need some help defending the pass. Please.

This is a discussion on I seriously need some help defending the pass. Please. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2004, 07:12 PM   #9
Thread Killa

TecmoBowl's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: I seriously need some help defending the pass. Please.

I play as the Chiefs. I am 2-0 in my All-Pro franchise. I have a fairly hard time stopping the pass. But nothing like you cub.

I just killed the Panthers. Sacked Jake 4 times. Eric Hicks dropped him on back-to-back plays in the red zone. I did not control him except when I switched to him after he got thru the line to lay the hit on the QB.

I decided to cover up a lot of my problems on defense by blitzing. I run a lot of Bear with my OLB blitzing. I even switched Barber and Fujita so I could blitz Fujita from the left (QB's backside).

I switch between Bear Man 1, a several Bear zones where the left OLB blitzes. I don't always get to the QB, but can put pressure on him to not hold the ball all day.

In man defenses I usually use the R stick to put my DBs into bump-and-run. This usually disrupts the routes and causes incompletions or a sack.

In passing situations, I use nickel and sit back in a 3 weak, 3 strong, or key zone. This seems to put my DBs in the area the CPU likes to throw (about 10 yards from the line of scrimmage).

The A.I. may have identified you at this point as really weak against the pass. So, now your job is even harder as the CPU will ditch a running play in order to throw it.

Mix it up, do not run the same defenses in a row. Different defensive fronts. Sometimes I will fake the Fujita blitz and send someone else right up the middle (Maz came untouched last game for a sack as the CPU became too concerned about the OLB blitz). Move the LBs around, Move the DBs up, back, inside and outside. If you do the same defense the CPU will eat you up.

And finally, if this is your first time playing ESPN, you may have a hard time in general. If you are used to Madden, your timing may be off. The 2k series has always placed more emphasis on switching defenders and doing the job yourself rather than relying on A.I. Learn to switch to a DB and time a hit to cause a dropped pass. I am no good at intercepting it myself, but I can hit a WR just as the ball gets there. That is often the most effective defense.

Go to practice mode and practice getting to the QB and switching defenders. Turn down the difficulty to Pro when you are on defense. Or turn up the coverage slider.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:21 PM   #10
cub
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:

TecmoBowl said:
I play as the Chiefs. I am 2-0 in my All-Pro franchise. I have a fairly hard time stopping the pass. But nothing like you cub.

I decided to cover up a lot of my problems on defense by blitzing. I run a lot of Bear with my OLB blitzing. I even switched Barber and Fujita so I could blitz Fujita from the left (QB's backside).

Sounds like we're doing things the same way, just that you blitz the LBs more and take control of the DBs. I call the same defensive formations and use the same strategies as you.

I think the key for me is learning to take control of the DBs myself, cause the AI-controlled ones are WORTHLESS. If a DB is AI controlled, he might as well not even be there.

I may try some of those LB blitzes too.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 8

Try the cover 2 and bring your CB up in order to bump the WR off the line. This works for me!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 07:25 PM   #12
Thread Killa

TecmoBowl's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

cub said:
Quote:

TecmoBowl said:

Sounds like we're doing things the same way, just that you blitz the LBs more and take control of the DBs. I call the same defensive formations and use the same strategies as you.

I think the key for me is learning to take control of the DBs myself, cause the AI-controlled ones are WORTHLESS. If a DB is AI controlled, he might as well not even be there.

I may try some of those LB blitzes too.

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah I may have gotten 4 sacks last game, but Steve Smith still had 100+ yards receiving. My D just eventually gets a stop here or there, or a turnover.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:32 PM   #13
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

DONF said:
Try the cover 2 and bring your CB up in order to bump the WR off the line. This works for me!

But you have to have good corners,which the chiefs do not really have.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

cub said:
What's the verdict, janus?

heh, i just played one half, i'm down 13-0 but bulger only has 79 yards passing. i can't get a dang thing going on offense however. i just did the coaches pick and used maslowski on defense or whoever the middle linebacker and no matter what i was asigned i'd stay back. whenever the teams were on the leftside i'd shift the linebackers to the right and vice versa, i double teamed holt a few times but as you said, it doesn't work. bulger did manage to get some yards passing, but nothing like you said. hope this helps a bit. oh yeah, caver got one sack.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #15
pol
All Star

pol's Arena

OVR: 14

it may be the type of zone d you are running..

my roommate was burning me in the corners between the deep safety and the shallow corner when i was running cover 2.. so i changed to cover 3 and i shut it down... of course.. i believe that opens up the shallow crossing routes and curls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 08:07 PM   #16
cub
MVP

OVR: 7

Offense is no problem. Just run a lot over right guard (Will Shields). Occassionally a zone bounce left over Willie Roaf.

Mix in a few screens to Priest and a play action seam route or two for Tony Gonzalez.

Money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »