Home

DEFENDING THE PASS - 90% confirmed

This is a discussion on DEFENDING THE PASS - 90% confirmed within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2004, 09:42 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: DEFENDING THE PASS - 90% confirmed

Thats the problem, when you "manually" try to catch the ball, you end up taking your DB right out of the play. He ends up leaping the wrong way. Plus the momentum makes it dang near impossible to get the DB going in the direction you want him to go in.

In Madden if you take control of your DB on a deep route do you notice he will actually slow down ? You gotta let the CPU control the DB till the moment of truth when the ball finally gets to where you think you can deflect it or intercept it.

In both games you are not 100% in control of the DB's at all times and in both games you HAVE to have the right coverage called in order for your men to even be in a place were they can successfully make a play on the ball. Its easier to take contol of the B on bombs because you have tie to recognise whats going on and make adjustments manually. Thats not always the case on short/mediuim range passes. The ball is traveling so fast and is so small and that coupled with momentum making it very hard to turn quck enough to make a play makes having the cpu do it for you a necessity. You stil have to press the button to make them go after the ball. So at least it still relies on you to a degree. thats WAY better tan be helpless and having NO control at all.

You are only relying on the CPU to the degree of getting the DB's to attack the ball in the right direction. Other than that you STILL have to call correct defenses and time everything correctly. If you don't you will still get lit up.

If Manning is 12-30 for 90 yards in your games then adjust the sliders and turn your human coverage down and your cpu pasing up. That should bring balance back into your world. Also, Manning does not have 25-30 350 yard nights every weekend either so what makes a game a good game, the fact that you are being challeneged or because you look at stats at the end of the game and they dont measure up to a "real NFL" games stats ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #26
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

I like taking control of receiver and DBs all the time and making all the plays myself.

The control is pretty dead on if you ask me and I just like knowing it was me that made the play.

Good to know this strategy though I did try it out for a while.

thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 10:05 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 6

i made that stat up, just saying if it works 90% of the time to stop the pass the good QBs would have really bad stats. I used this little trick against Trent Green (using Atlanta) in the first quater he is 3-8 w 0tds 1int 38% completion 34 yards 4.3 YPA, an 11.5 rating, and his longest pass was a 21 yarde where i did the trick and i took control of a saftey and swatted at the ball but missed it.

its kinda wierd that if you press B before the QB even releases the ball it goes right where is gonna throw it but it helps in Pass D, im gonna see if i can get realistic D and stats using this, if i can than its all good.

EDIT

wow when you hit Y even the guy you arnt controlling does the pass defense/swat down/int if they are close to the receiver
wander if this works online too.. i need some passs D online.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #28
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

hey TombSong , can you mention your discovery(something about the pass defense methods with the b button and w/out) in the Solutions to common problems thread?
heres the link to that thread:
http://forums.operationsports.com/ubbthr...;o=&fpart=3

I think especially for those having trouble with defending the pass your ideas could revolutionize the experience and raise the level of play.

I am kind of blending your system with my style of defense. I am trying to pay my dues in the defensive swat basic training (even using the white button as my primary button ) and also in practice mode. I have noticed that momentum plays a huge role in defending a pass manually(and it used to be said that 2k lacked momentum compared w/madden - times have changed) Often I use a linebacker and when the pass is thrown outside of his reachable area , then i really really tend to incorporate your ideas.

I have definetly noticed how when you use 'y' it seems to help your whole team aggressively go after the ball in union.

It sounds like you are becoming very good at pass defense , if i ever get the hang of this(im thinking a week or so) we should play sometime at least an exhibition match for fun.

btw are you building a VIP since you have discovered this ? That could make for a tough defense.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #29
MVP

Let me know how it works online

I have not tried to get back online yet to play a game. Is it fixed yet ? I think I will try right now.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 6

i feel like im playing with the best pass defense ever.. 3 incokmpletes and 1 complete for maybe 3 yards.

Green has a rating of 8.2 haha. nice stuff.. im going to see if i can make it a little harder tho.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:54 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:

hey TombSong , can you mention your discovery(something about the pass defense methods with the b button and w/out) in the Solutions to common problems thread?
heres the link to that thread:
http://forums.operationsports.com/ubbthr...;o=&fpart=3

I think especially for those having trouble with defending the pass your ideas could revolutionize the experience and raise the level of play.

I am kind of blending your system with my style of defense. I am trying to pay my dues in the defensive swat basic training (even using the white button as my primary button ) and also in practice mode. I have noticed that momentum plays a huge role in defending a pass manually(and it used to be said that 2k lacked momentum compared w/madden - times have changed) Often I use a linebacker and when the pass is thrown outside of his reachable area , then i really really tend to incorporate your ideas.

I have definetly noticed how when you use 'y' it seems to help your whole team aggressively go after the ball in union.

It sounds like you are becoming very good at pass defense , if i ever get the hang of this(im thinking a week or so) we should play sometime at least an exhibition match for fun.

btw are you building a VIP since you have discovered this ? That could make for a tough defense.

I am enjoying the game a WHOLE lot more now that I am getting good at this. I need to play some games online so that I just dont become good against the CPU. I just came from online and challeneged a few people and it just sits there so they must still be trying to get the bugs out of the online part of the game. I hope to play alot of you guys here online.

I would like to put this in that help thread you spoke of, I just dont know which parts to put there. Maybe a Mod will work that out. Or they can just come read this thread.

I hope this helps alot of the people struggling with the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

I have a question. If you press B too early and accidentally get ahold of a LB and there is still time before the QB throws the ball, can you still press B with success?

I hope my question is clear

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »