Home

An Alternate Reality

This is a discussion on An Alternate Reality within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
R**k**

Diesel3649's Arena

OVR: 3
An Alternate Reality

I have read in a lot of posts over the last couple of days that people are very unhappy about the trade AI in ESPN2K5, I keep reading that none of these trades could ever happen and they are very unrealistic. Personally for me, this part of the game does not bother me at all. In fact reality is overrated in my opinion. If you are a fan of the Chargers, or the Cardinals, or the Bengals, or the Lions, how is reality working out for you? For me, I want to keep the real world as far from my gaming world as possible. The last thing I want to see in my game world is a mirror of the horror that is the Cardinals reality. In my version of the NFL, everybody has a chance to win the Super Bowl, even the Cardinals, hell I can even play for an NFL team if I want, I'll take that over reality anyday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 11:58 PM   #2
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: An Alternate Reality

Excellent post. I feel much the same. I don't care if the trading AI is that great. I really only play franchises to build a team that can win. The only "realism" that matters to me is how real it is between the lines. I don't need the games trades to match my sports page. That said, we have a different focus than a lot of gamers. And they should have their expectations met,too.....

The only "bug" that made me mad was the "lefty bug" from MVP. Why? Because it affected gameplay. None of the issues I've read about so far are really "game killers." They're more annoyances than anything. I guess that's why it's good to have a choice. If people want to go to the "other game" God Bless 'Em.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:12 AM   #3
R**k**

Diesel3649's Arena

OVR: 3

I agree with you, there should simply be a way to either shut trades off, or a slider to decrease them. Between the lines is where it matters to me also. Life is to short to not be happy, if ESPN isn't doing it for you, try the other game, hopefully it will give you the experience you're looking for.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Good post man. If people actually payed attention to some of the big names that move from team to team in the NFL (i.e. Clinton Portis to Washington, Garrison Hearst to Denver, Eddie George to Dallas, Cory Dillon to New England just to name a few), they would realize that big trades do happen. Granted, they may not happen as much as in ESPN but hey, this is a game. 98% of the games responses, actions and transactions are simulated anyway. AI can only do so much. We are not working with military/government level AI. VC has done a bang up job in fixing the bugs from 2K4 and adding a lot of meaningful suddleties that makes this game the best "I" have ever played.

So for those of us who can appreciate the AI trades etc., we just have something else to like about the game. For those who call this a game killer, I wonder what your "priorities" are!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:

If people actually payed attention to some of the big names that move from team to team in the NFL (i.e. Clinton Portis to Washington, Garrison Hearst to Denver, Eddie George to Dallas, Cory Dillon to New England just to name a few)

Except only two of those were trades and one was picks for a player. Hearst was a released by the Niners as well as George by the TItans, big name players being released happens all the time.(which isnt the problem, because we all know that) I could be wrong but I think Dillion was delt for picks, which isnt bad because Pats had a ton of picks and Bengals have Rudy Johnson who showed he can start. Only the Portis/Baily did was the big one. Name me the last big trade in the NFL before this year? Exactly, it doesnt happen hardly at all. I dont mind trades in the game if...It wasent crap like Marvin Harrison to the Pats for Tom Brady..WTF? Those are the trades that are making me mad..Ill deal with it and hope for the best though.

Either way you slice it, the trade AI is poor in this game, no matter how you try and justify it.

Other then that(which could be a minor setback or major, depends on how you look at it) the game is great and will get a lot of time this year in my XBox, with the poor trade logic or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #6
All Star

poster's Arena

OVR: 23

Old 07-24-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:

Diesel3649 said:
I have read in a lot of posts over the last couple of days that people are very unhappy about the trade AI in ESPN2K5, I keep reading that none of these trades could ever happen and they are very unrealistic. Personally for me, this part of the game does not bother me at all. In fact reality is overrated in my opinion. If you are a fan of the Chargers, or the Cardinals, or the Bengals, or the Lions, how is reality working out for you? For me, I want to keep the real world as far from my gaming world as possible. The last thing I want to see in my game world is a mirror of the horror that is the Cardinals reality. In my version of the NFL, everybody has a chance to win the Super Bowl, even the Cardinals, hell I can even play for an NFL team if I want, I'll take that over reality anyday.

Good post Diesel..sounds vaguely familiar...
Old 07-25-2004, 09:38 AM   #8
Rookie

My whole point about big name players going to other teams is this: regardless of whether the AI trades them or releases them to free agency due to the player wanting too much loot, age or the team deciding the player isn't needed anymore and being released, its all the same. Once a player is released to free agency, any team can pick him up if the price is right. So whether it's a trade or release, either way the player is gone.

NBA Live had this issue in the 04 version. After your first season in franchise mode, u would have a whole lot of big name free agents that were not resigned. So I like the versitility they have put in the game. This means that no one can play the same exact team (aponent wise) franchise year after franchise year as if they were playing in exibition. It would be easier to learn a team that way and continue a winning season year after year. I like the challenge of trying to beat a team that has a new look with some big name players. When it's all said and done though, the bottom line for the majority is, "how is the onfield gameplay?"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »