Home

The truth about gamestop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on The truth about gamestop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
The truth about gamestop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of days ago I visited a gamestop to pick up another copy of Espn which is my 10th copy to be exact, and they didnt get alot of preorder sales but the salesman told me theyve sold out three shipments already it seems as if ppl didnt preorder it they just walked in a picked it up, so while I was waiting for the salesman to hand me espn I looked at the computer screen behind the desk because I was standing at an angle where I could see it and it had a message on there from there corporate office saying " ESPN TODAY HAS ALLOWED US TO PUSH MORE MADDEN PREORDERS AND YOU SHOULD INQUIRE WITH CUSTOMERS ABOUT SWITCHING THERE PREORDERS FROM ESPN TO MADDEN." WHAT!? So I asked the salesman what does that mean he said "On launch day of Espn the shipping got screwed up and espn for ps2 was coming in a day late so corporate wanted them to try to push madden on the espn players who didnt get there game on time, the reason being is Madden makes more money for them than espn especially at $20 bucks I think this is sad while on the other hand the ebgame stores I went to preorder over $100 espn's and have the game on display and they are selling out shippments in two days.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The truth about gamestop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what exactly are you doing with your 10 copies?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Rookie

I initially preorders 6 for me and my friends and after some of my other friends saw it they were like get me one too and ill give you the money on delivery so Im sort of your friendly neighborhood door to door espn salesman.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 14

My buddy works at gamestop and he gets a comission for every madden that he prreorders. EA has a deal w/ gamestop so that they puch their product.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Rookie

After reading that message I definitely believe you but I dont think he was supposed to tell you that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2

Who gives a damn? It happens with all companies, with all kinds of games. Last year I couldn't go into an EB without an employee pushing ESPN 2K4 on me. If you let this kind of thing bother you, you're a fool.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

LIKE OH MY GOD!!! STOP THE PRESSES, STOP THE PRESSES, A COMPANY IS OUT TO TRY TO MAKE A BUCK!!!! WILL SOMEONE PLEASE JUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN???????????????
Old 07-25-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

it makes sense.

the plan here is for a lot of gamers to buy BOTH

also madden has been such a reliable stock throughout the industry (sales,internet,magazines) , that it would be bad business for them to not push madden.

people get JFK about internet sites getting paid by madden etc - well the truth is if a site gets money based on site participation, forum use, selling adds within reviews, total/ unique hits, in-site store - and a game like Madden is so successful - y0u can bet your hat they will push it if they have a sense of what is up and down.
You can say i am crazy but you haven't doubled corporations profits through search engine optimization working "under the table" with an over qualified group of programmers from india.., you haven't done some "dirty work" in the "war rooms" of some quite successful internet sites back when the "tech industry" was hot and you didn't need a college degree and a fat resume to work in I.T. ...

("maybe he has finally "lost" it?")

That goes for retail stores as well. = basically hustle the customer - "your a salesman - so u better sell man!" - if someone walks in the store looking to buy a 10$ item - gently remind them about the 20-30$ items if you arent doing a long line of trade in games at profitable value
if someone wants a 25$ item and they look good for it , let em hear about the DELUX ITEM (only 55$)

apparently espn did so well , that now it is officially time to sell the madden games season - "lets make sure they get Madden also, or if they might be on undecided , lets lead them towards the more expensive unit from the company that has been a golden gooose in our industry"

so yes the "conspiracy" exists , except it is all business.

("G.D. keep crap like this in the impressions thread Dihigo")

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »