Home

New to ESPN....need some help or advice

This is a discussion on New to ESPN....need some help or advice within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2004, 07:09 PM   #1
Rookie

Wilson10's Arena

OVR: 4
New to ESPN....need some help or advice

Well, I don't usually make posts like this but here it goes. I decided this year with the Price and reviews the game was getting I had to try it. I haven'y bought a NFL game in a few years when I bought Madden when the whole PS2 online thing started. So with that said, I play alot of NCAA and rarely venture into Madden or any other game. I am however a fan of the NFL and the Browns. On to my problems

I am not sure if its a new game or if I just suck but I get my [censored] handed to me every game. So whats the first thing I do.......head to the sliders forum. Well between MVP and NCAA sliders have me so ticked off that I don't even wanna think about it. So I try a few out and I get really hammered atleast in terms of offensive production. I was in a game lastnight with the Jets ( I was Clev.) I scored 2 tds off INTS and I ended up with 4 total from Pennington. So I decided to turn the INT slider down some. Next game no picks but I also didn't score b/c I can't move the ball at all.
I feel I am a pretty gamer in the terms of what I play, so I was just curious if there was something I am missing. I did all the training stuff to pick up the controls and what not. I don't wanna give up on this game. The presentation is bar none the best I have ever seen. I have a HDD for my PS2 so I get all the highlights at the half etc.... I just simply CANNOT play this game well at all. Thanks for any help or advice you can give me. I need it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
Rookie

Wilson10's Arena

Re: New to ESPN....need some help or advice

another thing I forgot to mention is the speed of the gameplay itself. I feel it is VERY fast. Does anyone change the game speed to slow? I know its a different game (from EA) and the gameplay is dif. I am just not sure it fits me is what I am saying. I want it to though, thats why I am asking questions. Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I play on FAST. It all boils down to why you want the game slower. Usually it has to do with picking up the pass rush. A camera angle change, possibly using a home made CUSTOM CAMERA might be the way to go.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I am in the same boat as you. I have never played a VC football game. I haven't bought madden since the first one on ps2. I only buy NCAA. With that said, I cannot adjust to the different way ESPN players move. I can pass easily, its just the simple fact of moving around the field. Running plays pretty much go no where because I can't run where I want to. Defensively, I cannot even making an open field tackle because I cant control the players. I guess I am too used to way the players on EA games move. I have tried to use to d-pad and the left stick, NADA. Does anyone have this problem whose new to the game.

Quote:

Wilson10 said:
Well, I don't usually make posts like this but here it goes. I decided this year with the Price and reviews the game was getting I had to try it. I haven'y bought a NFL game in a few years when I bought Madden when the whole PS2 online thing started. So with that said, I play alot of NCAA and rarely venture into Madden or any other game. I am however a fan of the NFL and the Browns. On to my problems

I am not sure if its a new game or if I just suck but I get my [censored] handed to me every game. So whats the first thing I do.......head to the sliders forum. Well between MVP and NCAA sliders have me so ticked off that I don't even wanna think about it. So I try a few out and I get really hammered atleast in terms of offensive production. I was in a game lastnight with the Jets ( I was Clev.) I scored 2 tds off INTS and I ended up with 4 total from Pennington. So I decided to turn the INT slider down some. Next game no picks but I also didn't score b/c I can't move the ball at all.
I feel I am a pretty gamer in the terms of what I play, so I was just curious if there was something I am missing. I did all the training stuff to pick up the controls and what not. I don't wanna give up on this game. The presentation is bar none the best I have ever seen. I have a HDD for my PS2 so I get all the highlights at the half etc.... I just simply CANNOT play this game well at all. Thanks for any help or advice you can give me. I need it.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

I played last years game alot and enjoyed it. This years game is amazing. I'm a decent player but I seem to have more fun playing on slow speed. Turn on the "zoom out on pass" option in the camera settings as well. It helps alot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Pro

Shamrock_11's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

Wilson10 said:

Here's an article that may help you out some. Scroll down to the second article.11 Things
Old 07-27-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 15

I made the switch recently also. The first thing you must realize is that in ESPN the animations dont help you like in ncaa or madden. Meaning if your tring to defend a pass in NCAA or MAdden, you can try to press the button to defend it while not trully in position and the player will kind of slide into position to make the play. in ESPN this doesnt happen you either are allready in position or your gonna look stupid, The momentum in espn is still alomost no existant compared to madden/ncaa so you need to learn to play this game without momentum. When trying to make a tackle in madden on a toss or wide running play you could run full speed at the player and at the last minute slow down to try to break down to make the tackle and your momentum would keep you in the proper direction to make the play. in ESPN if you slow down to make a play and try to change direction you will change direction and take yourselfe out of the play.

With the running game on offense the thing you need to do is get up field. Following you blockers is great but the best thing you can do for youself is try to get up field. Also know that TJ ducket and Warrick dunn are gonna be different when it comes to running. you deffinately have to get a back like duccket going foward and pound it.

The best advice i could give is to get used to moving your players as if there was no momentum. dont adjust for it
Old 07-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #8
Rookie

Wilson10's Arena

some good advice thus far! I read that article linked above and man was it a GREAT article!! I can't wait to get home from work to play some tomorrow. I mean I KNOW I just need time with the game, but I don't have patience persay..and quite frankly I WANT this game to be the one I wanna play. I plan to buy Madden, but I see no way in hell the presentation or maybe even the graphics will live up to this game IMO. I feel I need time and more advice I think what I may really need is someone to play against that understands this game and the way it works and explain things to me. Quite honestly, I am in Madden country. Everyone I know plays EA games (myself included) But I feel times are changing and I am willing to make that move. Maybe what I need is a few online games with headsets and someone to work with me a little. explain certain things that the manual seems to be very vague on. Kick my butt online but help me out in the process. Any takers? Because lately after playing this game all I do is this When I would really like to tell everyone about ESPN, Sega, and Visual Concepts ...let them know this game is a winner

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »