Home

Player Progression?

This is a discussion on Player Progression? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2004, 07:41 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Player Progression?

This has probably been posted so don't flame me but does anyone know if player progression is accurate in 2K5? I simmed 3 years (3 years isn't that long I don't guess) and Rex Grossman went up only one point (74 to a 75), Thomas Jones went up three points (79 to an 82). I think the biggest jump was Eli Manning, he went from a 79 to a 91.

I'm just wondering this because I want to be sure that there are super-star athletes all through the fanchise years. I kind of like the fact that player progression seems to be slowed down. In Madden there are MANY players that are ranked in the HIGH 90's 99's, 98', and 97's. In ESPN to be a 100 is almost unheard of (which is cool), TO and Moss are 100's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Player Progression?

How were Grossman's stats? did he get injured at all? Did the Bears get another QB? You never know what could have happened to him to hamper his progression
Old 07-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #3
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

No, nothing happened. I looked at his stats and he played all the games of the year.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:16 PM   #4
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Little off-topic, but are you doing X-Box rosters for NCAA 2005?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Grossman just doesnt improve much. I tried franchise several times and even played with him to try to improve him, i even boosted his stats and abilitys and he still only increased one point. he just doesnt improve. I cloned him in created player and now he improves. I think some players are just programed to be stagnant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
MVP

VanillaEps's Arena

OVR: 8

Using the Giants, I simmed to the year 2010. Each year I simmed through the season, re-signed the players that I wanted on the team, drafted the players I thought the team need, and checked out player progression each year. I saw some interesting things that I thought I should note.

Eli Manning will progress VERY nicely. In 2010 he was rated a 95. The top quaterbacks in the league in 2010 were Tom Brady, Eli and Peyton Manning, and Carson Palmer. My top drafted players also progressed very nicely. I drafted a DE in 2004 or 2005 and he was ready to take over Strahan's spot as he has dwindled down to an 75 by 2010. Osi also progressed nicely, so all you need is another DE to eventually take Strahan's spot. My drafted LB's also progressed well and I'm happy to say that Greisen definitely is solid at the middle. By 2010 he was rated in the mid 80's. I drafted a RB in 2006, and he became a stud. When Tiki's contract was up, I did not re-sign him and gave all the money to my 90 rated HB. The rookie FS, Wilson, also progressed to mid 80's by 2010. Unfortunately Williams, SS, retired after two seasons. I tried to talk him out of retirement, but I was not ready to give him a 1 year contract worth 16 million dollars - it wasn't worth it.

The only progression that I was highly dissapointed with are the Wills. I don't know why this game does not respect the Wills. Not only did the Wills not progress - they regressed to mid 70's by 2010. It was pathetic. Rookie CB's were rated higher than them. I don't understand the problem. At first I thought it was because I had adjusted their ratings, but I reset the rosters and simmed a couple of seasons and I saw the same thing - the Wills regress. And it has nothing to do with performance on the field because Will Allen consistently took down 5-6 interceptions a year and Petersen lead the team in passes defended.

It was definitely a lot of fun simming through 2010. I came close on the last year to winning the superbowl, but lost in the NFC Championship to the Falcons. I love the fact that the rookies aren't face-less. It adds a whole new dimension to your franchise - being able to see a face to a name.

For those of you that have started franchises with the Giants - please let me know how the Wills progressed/regressed. I'm concerned because they are my favorite players on the team. Maybe it has something to do with weekly prep. I'll try another sim with weekly prep and preseason turned off to see what happens.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #7
MVP

VanillaEps's Arena

OVR: 8

bump for Giants fans.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »