Home

Reviewers not being honest....

This is a discussion on Reviewers not being honest.... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2004, 03:12 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: Reviewers not being honest....

heavy hitters...sucka!!!!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2004, 03:48 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:

Hmmm.. Not from what I have seen and heard. I'll believe it when I see it. But we'll have to save any discussion for Madden until we actually get to play the game.

i played the game at e3. it was on Pro, and the DB AI was far superior (even at that point) to what ESPN football has. i'm not trying to start a flame war, but i've said it before and i'll say it again: madden @ e3 played better than espn football today. just one mans opinion, and much like reviews in magazines it doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things. but it would be nice if those reviewers pointed out flaws (bugs etc) instead of writing a review that reads like a press release.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:53 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 18

i...just cant agree with you

and it doesnt even make sense for you to say that
Old 07-29-2004, 05:22 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 12

I agree with the poster, there is no way this game should get such a high rating with the various glitches that can ruin some of the most important and favorite parts of s sports game. Glitches of this magnitude and there impact on the game are unacceptable, and when people that buy the game shouldn't have to deal with em.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:07 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

nylawyer said:
The draft issue is a huge issue to miss:
The "game" consists of
1. The actual game itself against the CPU and others
2. Online
3. Franchise mode

Franchise mode was hyped to no end. If the game had no franchise mode, like NBA Inside Drive did a few years ago, a lot of people may never have bought the game or picked it up. The problem is that the actual game itself is awesome, online has some issues but will probably be ironed out and franchise mode IMHO is busted due to the draft. So its more like a book with pages ripped out or pages that you can't read. The fact that the CPU only drafts T's, QB's, DE's and HB's in the first round to people that like franchise is equal to the CPU always running on 2nd down in the game for people that love the game itself. You have to come up with all kinds of workarounds to get around and its just plain sloppy work. I don't look at it at as complaining or whining at all, its just about different likes and dislikes. The draft bug was picked up the first time I ran a draft...it would be great if reviewers ran through a couple of seasons to check out stats, drafts, trades etc because it is a key part of the game that VC is selling. You really wonder what the beta testers were doing as well.....ESPN Baseball had a huge bug that pitchers missed 99% of their bunts...pitchers bunting is a critical part of the game at least in the NL....its stuff like this that is just inexcusable for "sports/sim" games....if its NFL Blitz, I understand....

Madden has a similar 'glitch,' like 60+ % of the 1st rounders picked by the computer are WR's. I've played a lot of seasons in Madden and 90% of the time, a WR would win offensive ROY.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2004, 06:25 AM   #46
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:

fossen said:
A review is not a QA report.

You mention movie reviewers .... I have yet to read a movie review where the critic is saying "In this shot, you can see the Coke can in the background. But when the angle changes, the Coke can is gone! And what about the scene when he takes the elevator? Everyone knows that the elevators in that building are blue!"

Most reviews aren't QA reports, but one from a sports gaming website SHOULD be! We knew within a week of MVP coming out that there were tons of bugs, some minor, some major. Would the game still get a 5 out of 5 knowing that? Ditto now for ESPN. This game is a bug-fest. It was clearly rushed out the door.

And I say that as a huge fan of Sega sports (since Arnold Palmer golf) and EA (since the first genny Madden).

Who knows, maybe I expect too much. The impression I get is that OS rushed out their reviews just to appease the readers/subscribers. Personally I'd rather they take time with the game, like the folks at digital sports do. At least then we'd get a real in-depth review.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:53 AM   #47
Pro

OVR: 8

I definitely think reviewers should point out the more substatial glitches, that's what a review should be...point out the positives and negatives. Regardless of what game it is, the more informed the consumer is, the more intelligent decision can be made in terms of purchasing. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about MVP, but I haven't read a review that echos people's setiments. Why not?

To the reviewers credit though, one person's game breaker might be a minor glitch to someone else. However, some are so blatant that a mere mention would be valuable.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

I think people put too much stock in reviews. They are nothing more than opinions. I don't listen to movie reviews at all. I might read them but I won't let them affect my decisions.

WHat's funny is on sites like this one in the forums people will always say "Great review", when any review gives a game that they like a good score. But if any review doesn't give a good score to the game they like then they rip it. "Those guys don't know sports games, blah blah blah."

I don't think many people look for objectivity in reviews. For whatever reason they are just looking for somebody on a website to agree with their point of view. Why that's important? I don't know.

I don't know about you, but I have played a lot of games, and loved them, that got bad or mediocre reviews. I have also played piles of crap that got a 9.something. It really doesn't matter.

When Madden comes out, let's say it gets a 9.5. Madden fans will say 'Great review'. Madden haters wll say 'Conspiracy'. And if it gets a 7.6, ESPN fans will say "Great review" Madden fans will say, "They don't know sports games."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »