Home

Why ESPN series is a good thing for ALL OF US. (Madden lovers too)

This is a discussion on Why ESPN series is a good thing for ALL OF US. (Madden lovers too) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 11
Why ESPN series is a good thing for ALL OF US. (Madden lovers too)

This in my opinion is why wether you love ESPN Football or Hate it, in the longrun it's good for ALL of us who want a good football game..

Okay..you have to admit. EA has gotten LAZY . They have taken fans for granted...this is partially due to other companies who put out thier version of a game that sucks..and I dont mean it as in just being a little bit under madden, but I mean like sucks BIGTIME compared to Madden (989 Sports comes to mind). So Basically it comes down to money with these development companies. EA has been figuring "well we basically have enough of a share of the video games sports market that we can cut costs by just churning out an updated version of the game we did the year before." (they figure, if they loved it last year why not give them the same thing this year?) And to be honest thats what you've been getting from EA. Hey, I liked Madden last year..im not saying they made a lousy football game and have just been sticking a new box on it with updated rosters...but still...dont you kinda feel like youre being taken advantage of or taken for granted? They figure "yeah, we can almost count on X amount of people buying our game every year regardless"..and I think thats why reviewers have been getting tougher on EA as opposed to VC just because EA has been around much longer and you would expect more each year from EA than what youve been getting. Like I said..doesnt mean madden sux..I love Madden too..but still..I feel they are taking you and me and everyone else for granted. Look at the MAJORITY of reviews EA has gotten for this years college football. In a nutshell the closing comments are "Last year was good, this year is good too, because its basically more of last year"..but when you look at the score they give them, its not as high as what they got the year before because its almost like a repeat performance and I think reviewers are penalizing them for that.

ESPN Football is the first series of football game to legitmately go head to head with Madden, which is good for all of us..especially those of you who are "Madden Till I Die" people because what it does is it forces EA to stand back and "check" itself. Competition in the long run is good for you and me. It forces EA to work that much harder for next year's round of sports titles...and in the end it results or should result in a better game for you and me to go buy. EA didnt start picking up the pace on thier Live and Madden series until they saw that there was a new kid in town who people are actualy taking notice of. Sure some of you still prefer EA over ESPN but you know deep down inside that its a close race between the two. Whoever is slightly ahead of the other is merely a matter of each person's opinion...but still..I repeat..it's a good thing. What we as gamers want is the best football (or whatever sports genre it is) available for us to sink our money into. This year's Madden from what I see looks like its going to be great..a FAR FAR FAR improvment over what they have put out for the past two years and I think part of it has to do with the fact that they acknowledge that they actually have some stiff competition now.

Imagine if there was no ESPN football and Madden was the only real game in town. (come on now, you know that stuff that 989 and other companies have been putting out is BOOTY!)..but just imagine. Do you think this years madden would have been as much as an improvement as we expect its gonna be over last years? Probably not. Its kinda like youre on your job, youre the only one who can do what you do, so you show up for work at 9 am instead of 8:30 like other people...then one day someone else starts working there who can do the same thing you do, and he shows up to work on time..i bet you will start coming into work on time too from now on. Sometimes I think some game reviewers give the edge to ESPN just to make EA work harder at thier own titles.

Wether you love ESPN football or hate it. It's good to finally have a competitor to make EA work harder at thier own titles. In the end, us, the gamers win out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Why ESPN series is a good thing for ALL OF US. (Madden lovers too)

Also to add to what I said..here is a good example of why we win out when there is competition...

This year Madden looks like its gonna be SICK (thats a slang term for Badass for those who dont know). And think part of it has to do with the fact that VC is putting out a GOOOOD football game to compete with them now. VC's game beat EA's game on certain things last year so madden fans should see an imporvment in those areas this year for Madden.....on the flip side of the Coin..because EA does have the majority of the sports video game market.. all of the ESPN fans get thier game for 20 bucks this year. I think VC did this because they are aware of the enormous size of Maddens fan base so they felt the need to make thier game 20 bucks this year to reel in Madden fans who might not have looked at ESPN if it were 50 bucks.....like I said...in the end the gamers win.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Do we really need to have yet another discussion about why compettion is good?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:

Do we really need to have yet another discussion about why compettion is good?

The real question is "Do we really need to have yet another person post a reply that really doesn't add anything of value to the original post in the thread?"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »