Home

Running Style Talk (finesse, power, etc...)

This is a discussion on Running Style Talk (finesse, power, etc...) within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
MVP

thejake's Arena

OVR: 17
Running Style Talk (finesse, power, etc...)

Is there a way you can tell if a player is a finesse runner, power runner, or balanced runner without going into the edit player screen? Is there a particular attribute tied to the running style?

I would guess it would be agility. In the edit player screen if I just go in and change a player like Jamal Lewis to finesse what effect will that have? Because when you make that change non of the ratings change as far as I know. My guess is that it just basically tells you what moves will be more effective for you. So if Portis is rated finesse, jukes and spins will work better for him. Lets say I go in and change him to power. Does he keep the same ratings, the only difference being shoulder charges and stiff arms work better?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
MVP

thejake's Arena

Re: Running Style Talk (finesse, power, etc...)

Maybe it works as a magnifier. Say if you label the guy finesse, it increases his agility some. You can't see it in the ratings.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Like an intangible?

Do you think that weight and body build affects this also?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:

Blzer said:
Like an intangible?

Do you think that weight and body build affects this also?

Most likely. You won't see Alstott going around the line, he'll try to plow his way through the line and a couple LBs and DTs. Where as Tomilson's (sp?) smaller build can juke and speed past defenders instead of going through them.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
MVP

jujuhound's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

thejake said:
Is there a way you can tell if a player is a finesse runner, power runner, or balanced runner without going into the edit player screen? Is there a particular attribute tied to the running style?

I would guess it would be agility. In the edit player screen if I just go in and change a player like Jamal Lewis to finesse what effect will that have? Because when you make that change non of the ratings change as far as I know. My guess is that it just basically tells you what moves will be more effective for you. So if Portis is rated finesse, jukes and spins will work better for him. Lets say I go in and change him to power. Does he keep the same ratings, the only difference being shoulder charges and stiff arms work better?

I don't think it is an option that you change. I believe it just automatically switches from balanced to power or finesse as you adjust certain attributes such as speed, agility, break tackle and strength.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
MVP

thejake's Arena

Quote:

jujuhound said:

I don't think it is an option that you change. I believe it just automatically switches from balanced to power or finesse as you adjust certain attributes such as speed, agility, break tackle and strength.

You can go into the player editor and edit it for anyone. Thats a good way to find out what kind of moves to do with your back. If memory serves me though, most backs are labeled as balanced. I might try it out sometime later by making someone like alstott a finesse back and letting the cpu play as him. I wonder if he would brake tackles at the same rate but just using jukes instead of shoulder charges.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't think it affects anything if you are in control of that player.

However, I am pretty sure that the running style of the player is used to determine what moves he is most likely to use in order to break a tackle. It shouldn't affect his physical atributes. The physical atributes determine how well he pulls those moves off. So if you changed Mike Alstott to a finesse runner, when the cpu controlled him it would attempt more spins and jukes rather than stiff arms and shoulder charges. And of course spins and jukes will be less effective for Alstott because he is a big burly back that doesn't have the quickness and agility of Portis or Dunn.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:28 PM   #8
MVP

MartinDihigo's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

TheSchwartz said:
I don't think it affects anything if you are in control of that player.

However, I am pretty sure that the running style of the player is used to determine what moves he is most likely to use in order to break a tackle. It shouldn't affect his physical atributes. The physical atributes determine how well he pulls those moves off. So if you changed Mike Alstott to a finesse runner, when the cpu controlled him it would attempt more spins and jukes rather than stiff arms and shoulder charges. And of course spins and jukes will be less effective for Alstott because he is a big burly back that doesn't have the quickness and agility of Portis or Dunn.

this sounds like it is good common sense. I noticed that Jamal lewis (power) is way slow at the spin move but this is probably his agility ? , when i was using a barry sanders with a 99 agility he was freaking the spins!!! at first i thought maybe the running style affects spins and jukes , but i think that based on ratings alone makes more sense.

easy way for the cpu can be smarter because of it when it chooses a move instead of complicated formula based on agility and break tackles and all that...

- it would be worth testing some time tho like trying a guy with spins and stuff and see if it changes just based on the P.R.S.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »