Home

ESPN Trade Analysis

This is a discussion on ESPN Trade Analysis within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44
ESPN Trade Analysis

Written by Bill Abner the link below also has his slider settings etc: http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/

ESPN NFL 2K5 Trade Issue Analysis

There have been multiple reports of high-volume, poor trading by the AI in 2K5. I did some investigation into this issue, mostly because I'll be weeping uncontrollably if I find a gamekiller.

Why? because this game is MAGNIFICENT.

I'll tell you why next week, but please remember in the meantime that I absolutely pounded ESPN last year for abysmal 2-minute A.I. Madden has clearly had far superior gameplay (with proper sliders) for the last two years. This year, though, ESPN is just wonderful. So far.

The most serious issue has been this trading problem. It has two components: one, poor player valuation leading to lopsided trades, and two, high trade frequency, which spotlights the sometimes questionable A.I. even more.

I ran quite a few tests today, and I believe I've identified causes and corrective action. If you start a franchise with both pre-season games and weekly prep turned on, you will see 10-11 trades during the course of the season. If you turn one feature on and leave the other off, you'll see about 6-7 trades during the season. However, if you turn both off, the number of trades during the season will fall to only 2-3. The numbers are remarkably consistent each year.

There will still be offseason trades (5-6, usually), but with the greatly reduced in-season frequency, you'll only see one or two deals a year that look suspect. I can easily live with that.

From what I can determine, the suspect trades involve uniformly valuing players by their ranking regardless of position. As an example, you will occasionally see a position player (a defensive end, for example) traded for a quarterback. In the NFL, this never happens, because a quarterback has unique value due to his position. The game A.I., though, apparently only gives a small bonus to the quarterback, so an 86 rated quarterback traded for a 91 rated defensive end looks like a reasonable deal. In actuality, the quarterback position is so difficult to value versus other positions that quarterbacks are almost always traded for draft picks.
I've also occasionally seen a kicker traded for a position player. Again, same difficulty with valuation due to the uniqueness of the kicking position. Kickers are rarely traded, and when they are, it's always for a draft pick.

Now if you see five or six of these deals a year, it might drive you crazy. It certainly would me. But seeing one a year? No problem. Plus I have no problem giving up pre-season games and weekly prep. I didn't use them, anyway.

If you want to retain weekly prep, I believe that you could just leave it turned off until after the trading deadline in Week 8, then turn it back on (remember that you have to also select trading deadline 'on' in the options menu as well for the Week 8 deadline to apply). I don't know if it would have any undesirable side effects, though, so do that at your own risk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
MVP

jujuhound's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: ESPN Trade Analysis

I'm ten games into my first season and there was only 1 trade (not a great one, but minor players). I had both pre-season and weekly prep turned off, so I think this could be the answer. Or maybe not the answer, but it will make things better for those who don't want many trades.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

Quote:

jujuhound said:
I'm ten games into my first season and there was only 1 trade (not a great one, but minor players). I had both pre-season and weekly prep turned off, so I think this could be the answer. Or maybe not the answer, but it will make things better for those who don't want many trades.

Same here, if you have weekly prep and pre-season turned off you will only get 1-2 trades per season.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
MVP

toychri's Arena

OVR: 8

He has interesting sliders, anyone try them yet?

Also, does turning off the pre-season effect player rating progression? I know in Madden that pre-season is key for the rookies to bump up a few rating points.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

Quote:

toychri said:
He has interesting sliders, anyone try them yet?

yes and I really like them. They seem odd when looking at them but they play very well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

That was written bye Bill Harris not Bill Abner, so if they are both the same guy cool, if not Bill Harris desevres the credit not Bill Abner
Old 07-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

He is spot on in this case. I don't have preseason games on, but I love prep work and I only saw 2 minor trades in my season (I'm in week 14, so the deadline has long since passed). I also have a theory that is admittedly untested. I think the trading has something to do with salary cap problems. I read in others threads how the Packers traded Favre in their season in year 2. I know this would never happen, but I am playing my dynasty as the Packers and the cap is tight. I could see the AI getting cap room by trading the highest paid player and having Couch be the QB. Just a theory....
Old 07-27-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

Quote:

FootballForever said:
That was written bye Bill Harris not Bill Abner, so if they are both the same guy cool, if not Bill Harris desevres the credit not Bill Abner

yeah, I just noticed that. Wonder if they are the same guy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »