Home

Another review from a Madden player

This is a discussion on Another review from a Madden player within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Another review from a Madden player

OK guys, understand one thing. I am 29 years old and have been raised on Madden. Every incarnation. Now, to play another version of videogame football was going to be very difficult as playcontrol would be a task that would involve a weaning off from what seems like second nature. I've played at least 20 games of NFL2K5 since its release date, random teams (historic ones to boot) and I've got to get some things off my chest. First off... respect to those who believed in this game during its earlier releases. This game is simply amazing.

Lets forget about presentation and graphics for a moment (as this is clearly no contest, ESPN the clear winner) and lets look at gameplay. The running game feels awesome. I love finding holes, spinning, juking, stiff arming, hurdling, shoulder charging, everything. And its all because I feel like I am in absolute control of every little aspect of the run. Everything that does or doesnt happen is either my small success or fault. No ping ponging into the open field, no excuses for getting stuffed at the line, always following my blockers. But I warn you its a totally different feel from Madden. But my god its so much better.

The passing game is also great. Great feel for the pocket, the scrambling aspect seems fair, and I love how you cant excessively drop back without being punished. I am a bit disturbed by the ease of abuse of the top WRs (T.O. with 30 yard catches in triple coverage) and the ease of pass completions over the middle but I guess thats what sliders are for. Otherwise, the passing game feels wayyyy better than Madden as well.

Which brings us to defense. Playing as linemen and linebackers again outshines what Madden has to offer. Really feel like I'm battling in the trenches. The DB's I sometimes have a problem with but reading over this message board I see Im not alone. I've started to play with sliders to correct the coverage aspect of the game... I simply have to find a way to stop T.O. At the same time I attribute alot of my more embarrassing moments to lack of experience. Folks, you gotta learn to walk before you learn to run.

Other than those few gripes, this game has the makings to take over the throne Madden has kept warm for so long. I havent delved into the other game modes as Im still spending plenty of time in Practice but really, Quick Match is all I need until I can get a better feel for the playbooks and figure out how to better cover the air attack.

I know this is long but I had to let you Madden fans know this game is the truth. Yes the control is strange at first, but it sure is great getting that feeling of excitement again. You will be greatly rewarded for smart football, will feel real goosebumps with the overall presentation, and best of all you'll have fun doing things Madden's gameplay doesnt allow you to do. At the risk of sounding elitest, going back to Madden made me feel I had to dumb it down a bit. Its easy to take for granted just how much the AI in Madden has done for you these past 15 years. Give NFL2K5 an honest shot and in the meantime anayone want to help me find a way to stop T.O.?!?!?!?!?!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
The Broski

MMan's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Another review from a Madden player

most of us have been through the exact same thing man... have fun
Old 07-30-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Excellent review. It's good theat all you had to talk about is gameplay because every other review from a Madden fan focuses on presentation. The presentation is the best ever, but if the gameplay sucks then there's no point in playing it. I love this game a lot (even though the only pro game I've played is Madden). The great thing is that it feels so different and realistic. I'm happy you are enjoying the game.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 22

Someone see's the LIGHT! Good post dude
Old 07-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
Banned

I think as I familiarize myself with the playbooks, the DB 'bug' is becoming a nonexistant issue. I cant stress enough the need to really invest time into this gem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Rookie

Well said FromtheBaseline!!!! I love this game a lot. I knew one day that SEGA would take over.....I have bought SEGA since the 2K serius went multi-platform. Madden fans, are so CLOSED minded (not all, but some), they wont try something new, or something different. I love the running game too becuase you really have to find the holes, in the o-line. If you get 5 yards, then you really earned that 5 yards!!!! If you get 20 yards you deserve it!!! Thats how I feel with the running game. I was playing ALL-PRO for a while, then switched back to Pro for a while to get more practice with the running. Let me tell everybody, the RUNNIN in the game is aswome. You can't run the same direction everytime, you really have to mix it up. Everything about this game is just better in my opinion!!! Sorry for people that wont give this game a chance (Not playing one game or 2 games, but like 20-30 games to get the feel for the game). I am happy for the people that are though, becuase once they play the game as much as FromtheBaseline, they will realize that this game is one aswome, addictting game!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »