Home

Regardless of popular belief.......

This is a discussion on Regardless of popular belief....... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2004, 07:48 AM   #33
Pro

Chibi's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Regardless of popular belief.......

Quote:
Why do people call anyone who complains basically losers?
Because they apparently feel that it's an affront to their masculinity whenever someone mentions anything negative about the game.

When I first popped the game in, I fell in love with it (this is my first shot at the NFL 2K series despite being interested in it since NFL2K). Many games later, the actual on-field gameplay has several annoyances, but on the whole, I still rather like it. Thing is, there are a lot of irritating issues, both big and small, in all areas of the game. The draft bug is the primary downer, for me, but there are many things that can annoy many people, and any time anyone brings up something and complains about it, the holy chorus shouts something to the effect of, "Stop whining, you *****! Go play Madden, you stupid fanboy!"

Rationalizing mistakes away and pretending the game is perfect while giving anyone who dislikes certain parts of the game a hard time is certainly not a productive use of the forum's bandwidth. Sometimes, people want to bring something to others' attention. Others, people just want to vent. Either way, it is possible to be irritated by certain facets of the game and still enjoy it, and even if someone doesn't enjoy the game, as long as they aren't flaming, there's no reason to try to pile onto them and say they're committing some horrible, heinous act.

You're right, though. It is just a game. So why do some people act like anyone who has expressed any negative opinions at all about it has personally insulted a member of their family?

Last edited by Chibi; 08-07-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:55 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmed2Kill
Apparently, VC is in the same mindframe as you
Old 08-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 1

Yes I posted that in Aug. 2003 because of the customers attitude at the time concerning these two franchises then. Now it's 2004 & ESPN has come out before Madden & is now 19.99. These are two totally different factors going into the success of this title this year. Call my post bias or whatever you want but the fact remains that it's moving units in my store.

If you go to Gamestop's website or our competitors & look at the best sellers list, guess what title your gonna see on both. How can anybody say that casual fans will not pick up a $20 game before a $50 game? Factor in the strong word of mouth just from the normal buying public not us message board hounds & it is basically selling itself.

My post was really just to say that the casual gamer is really liking this title
& is basically just playing the game & having a great time with it. Casual gamers don't take this videogame thing as strong as some of us do. I have ESPN in both of my display units & everytime the customers happen to get together to try it out they are enjoying the gameplay & all it's attributes without saying "oh did you see that db swat with the wrong hand". ETC.

We all want VC to steady innovate but the reason why Madden is supposedly so bug free & polished is because they don't overhaul what they
have implemented in a years time. Franchise in Madden has been a steady
progress of tinkering & tweaking for years now. VC is just trying to make too
many people happy at the expense of bugs, mistakes & their constant push to innovate every year is the reason alot of the basics get overlooked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 4

no matter how bad 2k5 annoyed me---the way the runners turn in madden annoy my a.. too much for me to like that game..and the fact it's a dropback superman passing game type..i'd try madden only if they fixed the momentum...it's just too much..i'm not a madden fan..and i'll stick with 2k..until ea can change their whole running game system..and cut out that zombie momentum..so there i'm not biased i know what i want..& screw this!!! it's vc's fault!! for the bugs....and that horrible clipping/collision detection..it seems worse in 2k5 than 2k4..

2k4-draft was ok--not good just ok..
2k5..suck to the core

2k4 trade was ok
2k5-oh jeez.!!

customers spend thier money!! so they can voice their disspleasure..especially if it's a product that they loved before or are just getting into

I THINK WE'D HAVE A BETTER GAME!--if vc didn't put celebrities & their teams n liknessess in there..but hey it did garner some attention..but that's one feature i ain't touching..i think the month & a half it took to put celebs in could have went tpwards fixing-----1.collison detection-or clipping like i hate to call it..............2.the defensive tendancies to do the catch animation when the wr is catching the ballor fall on their back....3.some of the in frachise a.i.(trade,draft)

i know the v.i.p.& weekly prep took lot's of work n added alot of these problems which sega didn't have enought to iron out..if they did the game would have been in development all now..coming out next two weeks maybe!

Last edited by solja; 08-07-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:03 AM   #37
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienekes
Yeah, yeah, yeah. bs.bs. bs. Here's what you were saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegatron3k
8/31/2003;

"Being a gamestop store manager who have witnessed the sales for my particular store I can say that Madden is not having the breakthrough sales that alot of our stores were banking on. It had that first initial rush at release but we have had more complaints/returns on this year's version than any year prior. Many gamers are tired of Madden whether people can believe that or not; people are becoming aware that there is another quality football title out there. At one time you could say Madden; EVERYONE would say ok now it's like WE GOT MADDEN; people will ask when the other titles are coming out. This year is gonna be real interesting during the holiday season because if ESPN turns out to be as good as people believe then alot of Madden faithful are gonna be shocked when the actual sale tallies are closer than expected."
Yeah, we all know know how those sales figures turned out. Same story from omegatron3k different year. How are we supposed to believe these claims of selling out when they come from you based on your truly biased post history?
:y4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmed2Kill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
I guess i'm the ONLY one who could care less about Fraaanchise!
Apparently, VC is in the same mindframe as you
:y4:

Last edited by Kanobi; 08-07-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #38
Pro

Dienekes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I have ESPN in both of my display units & everytime the customers happen to get together to try it out they are enjoying the gameplay & all it's attributes without saying "oh did you see that db swat with the wrong hand". ETC.
I don't think customers have time to notice the little things that are going to bug them in the 15 minutes they spend with the game in the store. They are going to see the graphics and be wowed at first. Look at the reviews, only the more recent ones have caught some of the bugs and they spend more time with the game.

Quote:
We all want VC to steady innovate but the reason why Madden is supposedly so bug free & polished is because they don't overhaul what they
have implemented in a years time. Franchise in Madden has been a steady
progress of tinkering & tweaking for years now. VC is just trying to make too
many people happy at the expense of bugs, mistakes & their constant push to innovate every year is the reason alot of the basics get overlooked.
I agree with you here. It is unfortunate. If they just focused on getting the basics right ESPN could easily be a Madden beater but I just have not seen it yet.

As far as your sales figures go, it may be that you push the game really hard at your store and it does well there because of that. Not to be offensive or anything but it does seem like you are big fan of the game. I hope the game sells well, more competition = better games for us. For ME, personally, the game is unplayable. For those of you having a good time with it great, have fun, I wish I could.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

>>For ME, personally, the game is unplayable. For those of you having a good time with it great, have fun, I wish I could.

Question: Why do you (and people like you) who find this game "unplayable" come to a board specifically for this game, and troll? It's one thing to like the game but still be critical, quite another to completely not like ESPN and then start flame wars with references to Madden.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #40
MVP

Venom_2K's Arena

OVR: 7

ESPN's main problem is the Franchise and trades, bottom line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »