Home

Does Anyone Practice?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Practice? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Talking Does Anyone Practice?

I'm just curious. Does anyone playing 2K5 practice at all when they have problems? I've been reading posts where people complain about not being able to do something like run the ball or defend the pass or stop the run etc..

What has worked for me is practice mode. At first, it was taking a bit longer for me to get used to the running game. In previous series, it was no biggy for me to learn it fairly quick. This year with the new tweaks, I was having a little trouble. So I figured I would practice on my running game against the best run defense (Titans). It didn't take long for me to realize that I can't just "park ball" my way around the field and expect to be successfull at the run. The more I practiced, the more I realized that u have to pay more attention this year. Holes sometimes will close quicker and the AI responds faster. Remember, the majority of backs in the NFL average only 2.5 to 3.5 yards per carry (if they are good). The better backs in the league average around 4 to 4.5. It's rare to see more than just a couple averaging better than that.

I used this example to say this. Whether u r having trouble running, passing or defending, go to practice mode. Nothing counts in practice. Here, you can throw as many picks as u have to, get burnt on D as many times as u have to and have as many negative yards running as u have to until u get it right. In practice, this is how you learn your team's strong and weak points.

However, the problem for a lot of people is that they don't want to practice. They want to throw the game in and run for 150 to 200 yards, throw for 300 or better every game or pick the ball off every time the computer decides to throw. Not the case with everyone.

All I'm suggesting is practice. When u do practice, do it against a team that is the best at defending against what ur trying to do. Once you have tweaked ur weak points against the best, u should have no problem being better in that area. Peace!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Does Anyone Practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpressure
I'm just curious. Does anyone playing 2K5 practice at all when they have problems? I've been reading posts where people complain about not being able to do something like run the ball or defend the pass or stop the run etc..

What has worked for me is practice mode. At first, it was taking a bit longer for me to get used to the running game. In previous series, it was no biggy for me to learn it fairly quick. This year with the new tweaks, I was having a little trouble. So I figured I would practice on my running game against the best run defense (Titans). It didn't take long for me to realize that I can't just "park ball" my way around the field and expect to be successfull at the run. The more I practiced, the more I realized that u have to pay more attention this year. Holes sometimes will close quicker and the AI responds faster. Remember, the majority of backs in the NFL average only 2.5 to 3.5 yards per carry (if they are good). The better backs in the league average around 4 to 4.5. It's rare to see more than just a couple averaging better than that.

I used this example to say this. Whether u r having trouble running, passing or defending, go to practice mode. Nothing counts in practice. Here, you can throw as many picks as u have to, get burnt on D as many times as u have to and have as many negative yards running as u have to until u get it right. In practice, this is how you learn your team's strong and weak points.

However, the problem for a lot of people is that they don't want to practice. They want to throw the game in and run for 150 to 200 yards, throw for 300 or better every game or pick the ball off every time the computer decides to throw. Not the case with everyone.

All I'm suggesting is practice. When u do practice, do it against a team that is the best at defending against what ur trying to do. Once you have tweaked ur weak points against the best, u should have no problem being better in that area. Peace!

Good post man. I wonder the same things myself. After reading the majority of the posts on this board and the ones over at the espnvideogames board, most people want to be like "A. Iverson" and blow off practice. Then when it comes game time and they can't do something effectively or get their backside handed to them, they cry "Glitch" or this is jacked up.

Must pracitce you joystick skills and "know" your plays and personnel. Pracitce people....Pracitce. Also, there is some excellent "Football 101" stuff under the "Extras" menu which I am sure half the people don't even know exist. Offensive/Defensive "Training" videos, Play/Formation diagrams, football jargon explained so you will know what kind of play you are running, etc...

Maybe it is me, but I always thought "Reading was Fundamental..."
Old 08-07-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

I don't think many people do practice. This is one of those games you appreciate the more you play.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 6

people who complain about the difficulty just cant play, people who complain about the glitches, bugs, and faulty programming are legit. i have done a little bit of practice mode but i really dont need it cus nothing is THAT hard.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

You're right Lowpressure. The problems that I posted about the past couple days come from only playing a couple games since release and not practicing. Thursday night I went into practice mode for about an hour before going to bed. I was able to get some nice runs. Then, I played a couple games yesterday and averaged 3+ ypc with Tiki vs a Bears D that is 10 points better than the Giants O and 4+ ypc with Stephen Davis against the Bucs D. The only thing practice needs is like NCAA and Madden have when you can select for it to call random offensive and defensive plays so that you can get a more well balanced practice and open up your playbook. I know you can just go back and call a different play but you get what I mean. It also helps for you to work on your audibles once you see the defensive set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
All Star

RGmoney's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
You're right Lowpressure. The problems that I posted about the past couple days come from only playing a couple games since release and not practicing. Thursday night I went into practice mode for about an hour before going to bed. I was able to get some nice runs. Then, I played a couple games yesterday and averaged 3+ ypc with Tiki vs a Bears D that is 10 points better than the Giants O and 4+ ypc with Stephen Davis against the Bucs D. The only thing practice needs is like NCAA and Madden have when you can select for it to call random offensive and defensive plays so that you can get a more well balanced practice and open up your playbook. I know you can just go back and call a different play but you get what I mean. It also helps for you to work on your audibles once you see the defensive set.
I agree with ya on the random play selection Nolefan. That is one thing that EA does that I like in practice mode. Glad to see you are getting the hang of things, you had me worried the other day...lol

Hey Sportsking, are you the same Sportsking over at the ESPN boards. If so, I am Maestro23 over there...What up man. You hit the nail on the head on alot of you posts...
Old 08-07-2004, 09:52 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 6

yea i am. i dont hit the nail on the head i just use some commen sense when it comes to videogames being games not a religion or a gang you should have some loyalty to when you get nothing in return.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGmoney
I agree with ya on the random play selection Nolefan. That is one thing that EA does that I like in practice mode. Glad to see you are getting the hang of things, you had me worried the other day...lol
I just hope now since I'm learning the game that it doesn't pull me away from my Miss St dynasty on NCAA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »