Home

looks like VC accomplished their goal

This is a discussion on looks like VC accomplished their goal within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #17
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: looks like VC accomplished their goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassiladelph
I, living in Philly as well, would like to know where you shop. Because everywhere esle I've gone, they've either had single digit copies on the shelves (Wal-Mart) or don't have the game at all.

The only time I saw significant shelf-age was when I checked out GS in Willow Grove, and they told me it was the first time they actually had the game in stock at closing time - they'd been selling it nonstop for weeks.

And if you think ESPN is too easy - either bump up the difficulty to Legend or enjoy playing Madden.
Personally, as a fan of ESPN, I'm just sick of broken stuff being discovered after shipping. No, I'm not talking about a high-percentage route or two being found, I'm talking about "SPY" not working at all. I'm talking about penalty bugs, instant replay bugs, all that which we all have found. Its a great game, DEFINITELY a must own- but they really need to playtest their release candidates MUCH more than they have. Last year, it was assigned player-on-player double teams that were advertised yet didn't function, and some of these same bugs.

VC put out a great game, but with all of these issues, it surely isn't going to have the effect on EA that it could have had they just ironed this baby out a bit better. Spy being broken is what is causing many of the online "QB RUN CHEESING"... (not to mention even most "pocket QBs" in this game sprint way too fast as it is.)

So that spy problem compounded many other issues- and its a darn shame that such a brilliant game has the imbalance it has online/head to head. QB pursuit really reeks during rollouts- and that also compounds to make the absense of a working "SPY" mechanic even worse.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #18
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't know that they did or not. I went by Game Crazy last night and they were staying open til midnight for people to get Madden. Not sure how many orders got picked up before I got there at 11pm but there were only a stack of 8 or so left. Was only 4 people in and out of there by the time I left. The masses will be out today since this is the official release date--not last night.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:29 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Personally, as a fan of ESPN, I'm just sick of broken stuff being discovered after shipping. No, I'm not talking about a high-percentage route or two being found, I'm talking about "SPY" not working at all. I'm talking about penalty bugs, instant replay bugs, all that which we all have found. Its a great game, DEFINITELY a must own- but they really need to playtest their release candidates MUCH more than they have. Last year, it was assigned player-on-player double teams that were advertised yet didn't function, and some of these same bugs.

VC put out a great game, but with all of these issues, it surely isn't going to have the effect on EA that it could have had they just ironed this baby out a bit better. Spy being broken is what is causing many of the online "QB RUN CHEESING"... (not to mention even most "pocket QBs" in this game sprint way too fast as it is.)

So that spy problem compounded many other issues- and its a darn shame that such a brilliant game has the imbalance it has online/head to head. QB pursuit really reeks during rollouts- and that also compounds to make the absense of a working "SPY" mechanic even worse.
Does the spy not work online or something? Because I've never seen a problem with it on my end, and I've seen the CPU use it against me in some situations, especially after I've just broken off a nice run with McNabb. Of course, I have a total of ONE online game underneath my belt, so go figure. Maybe it's something specific with the PS2, because I haven't seen that problem with some Xbox people (I could be wrong, though).

I do agree that this game has issues (what game doesn't?), but in the end, for me at least, the fun definately outweighs the bugs. Thye could've tested it a lot better, though.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:34 PM   #20
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassiladelph
Does the spy not work online or something? Because I've never seen a problem with it on my end, and I've seen the CPU use it against me in some situations, especially after I've just broken off a nice run with McNabb. Of course, I have a total of ONE online game underneath my belt, so go figure. Maybe it's something specific with the PS2, because I haven't seen that problem with some Xbox people (I could be wrong, though).

I do agree that this game has issues (what game doesn't?), but in the end, for me at least, the fun definately outweighs the bugs. Thye could've tested it a lot better, though.
I think he means that VC said that you could call a spy before the snap. At least for the Xbox, you can't call a play and then change a player's assignment to QB spy which VC said was in the game.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB215
I live in a cave called Philadelphia, PA with 3 million others and I dont know a soul who bought ESPN other than me. Fortunately I can still get $10 back for it tomorrow for Madden. Good game just too easy and unrealistic for me.
maybe you should get out more and meet some people.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2004, 12:39 PM   #22
MVP

WatchdogXC's Arena

OVR: 15

Hey guys, I went to a friend's house from college this weekend and played ESPN NFL 2k5 for the first time and it was definately an awesome game. I've always been a Madden player for the most part other than playing a little of the original NFL 2k in college. I'd definately buy the game for Gamecube if SEGA released it for it. Madden may be a really good game again this year too, but if it were up to me and I had another system, I'd pick up ESPN in addition to NCAA which I already have.

I think the price point and quality should definately help, but there are always going to be blind Madden people. I can't really blame them because I've always had fun with it, but ESPN is a great game in its own right as well.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:46 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

I live in Philly, have the game, and know others that have it also. I got it at the EBGames at the Gallery, but the first couple places I went to were sold out at the time (this was its second day of release.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB215
I live in a cave called Philadelphia, PA with 3 million others and I dont know a soul who bought ESPN other than me. Fortunately I can still get $10 back for it tomorrow for Madden. Good game just too easy and unrealistic for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »